New siding at Horton in Ribblesdale

• RMweb Premium

Work has finally started on installing a new siding at Horton in Ribblesdale. This is to take stone from the quarry there. The quarry, known as Delaneys or Beecroft quarry opened in the 1880's and has access to both high quality limestone and a type of stone called Ingletonian granite that provides skid resistant road and runway surfacing.  The quarry was rail connected until the mid 1960's.  There have been attempts to get traffic back on the rails ongoing for some time. 

At present the stone is being sent by road to Ribblehead and loaded there, which is not good on the narrow roads.  A major project is going to provide three outcomes over the next year. 

First, the station building has been restored for community and other uses and is I believe to open as a cafe. 

Secondly a new footbridge with lifts will replace the current foot crossing.  The crossing is heavily used by walkers and rail passengers. The crossing will be obstructed by the stone trains whilst they shunt. 

Thirdly a connection to two trailing sidings will be Installed in the down line,.  The sidings will have a stone loading bunker over the and will be on the trace of the former connection to the quarry.  Trains will reverse from the down line to be loaded then head to Blea Moor to run round. 

As I'm 700 miles away France I don't have any photos but on Facebook, a user called Ribble Rail is providing regular updates with photos. 

At present clearance has taken place for the sidings,which wil also act as a construction access track.  Also a new set of steps are being built on the down platform for walkers doing the three peaks of Yorkshire walk. 

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

Wickham Green

Disabled access trumps local objections I am afraid. I am not sure why they need a bridge as it’s not like there will be that many stone trains and you could still use ramp. Funnily enough if you look on S&C layout thread on here, you will see our representation of the S&C in 5hat area.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently the foot crossing has been known to be used by over 3000 people in a day. i suspect that the majority will be people, doing the three peaks.  If those figures are correct en there is no way,in this day and age that a bridge would no e required.  Also think that the pointwork will actually occupy the site of the current crossing. 

Jamie

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

At present the stone is being sent by road to Ribblehead and loaded there, which is not good on the narrow roads.  A major project is going to provide three outcomes over the next year. 

F

I thought the Ribblehead stone came from Ingleton Quarry [*] and Horton was still roaded out as normal - mostly via Settle town centre.

[*]There's a lot of trucks shuttling up and down the Chapel-Le-Dale road.

Having said that, both Ingleton and Horton are currently operated by Heidleberg, so some of it may go out via Ribblehead sidings. I probably need a long lunchbreak trip to investigate!

Operation of the rail sidings should be similar to that to the nearby Arcow quarry.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

I thought the Ribblehead stone came from Ingleton Quarry [*] and Horton was still roaded out as normal - mostly via Settle town centre.

[*]There's a lot of trucks shuttling up and down the Chapel-Le-Dale road.

Having said that, both Ingleton and Horton are currently operated by Heidleberg, so some of it may go out via Ribblehead sidings. I probably need a long lunchbreak trip to investigate!

Operation of the rail sidings should be similar to that to the nearby Arcow quarry.

That is the case.  Apparently they have been using Ribblehead for a while for Horton stone.  As I understand it the stone from Ingleton is very similar.  And yes the working arrangements will be similar to Arcow.  The train will have to be split in two to be loaded then reassembled which is one reason the crossing will be blocked so much. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That is the case.  Apparently they have been usi g Ribble head for a while for Horton stone.  As I understand it the stone from I gleton is very similar.  And yes the working arrangements wilbe similar to Arcow.  The train i'lhave to be split in two to be loaded then reassembled which is one reason the crossing will be blocked so much. 

Jamie

Thanks - I didn't know it was roaded north.

Arcow splits into three for loading due to the length of the loading bank. 

At least they can shuffle the train there without blocking any pathways.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

Thanks for posting.  Always good to read of new railheads being brought into service for freight.

cheers

Ben A.

It's good news for the S and C.  That's three sources of stone traffic between Settle and Blea Moor.  There must be well over 12000 tons per week going out. P, us the gypsum traffic to Kirby Thore and the log traffic. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

It's good news for the S and C.  That's three sources of stone traffic between Settle and Blea Moor.  There must be well over 12000 tons per week going out. P, us the gypsum traffic to Kirby Thore and the log traffic. 

Jamie

And the Clitheroe cement seems to be running again.

All of these making up tonnage for the lost coal traffic!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Making up tonnage for the lost coal traffic!

And also exploiting the extra Intermediate block signals that were put in to cope with the coal. I think one was in the Helwith Bridge/Horton area to split the long section between Settle Junction Blea Moor.

Jamie

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I think also Castle Cement train and some steel goes over there and there maybe some residual coal traffic but not at the levels of a decade ago which probably effectively covered the costs or at least helped with some or the essential maintenance that had been missed and proved to be required.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And also exploiting the extra Intermediate block signals that were put in to cope with the coal. I think one was in the Helwith Bridge/Horton area to split the long section between Settle Junction Blea Moor.

Jamie

Yep, there are intermediate block signals at Horton. Used to be visible on the webcam, when it works.......

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

I think also Castle Cement train and some steel goes over there and there maybe some residual coal traffic but not at the levels of a decade ago which probably effectively covered the costs or at least helped with some or the essential maintenance that had been missed and proved to be required.

No steel, or coal traffic these days on the S&C.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Yep, there are intermediate block signals at Horton. Used to be visible on the webcam, when it works.......

Visible here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1543082,-2.3067657,3a,25.1y,38.31h,92.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDWHNJq_d09kvmzIYcCUVew!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?ucbcb=1&entry=ttu

Don't know if there's one in the other direction, I've not noticed it from the road if there is (there are spots where the line's hidden from the road though).

Whilst I fully understand the reason for lifts I can't say the prospect of them being built there doesn't leave me feeling somewhat upset and depressed. Note that's not the same as arguing against them, before someone starts...

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I can appreciate the requirement for a bridge, I'd be very surprised if it is equipped with lifts as that would normally require them to be staffed in case of failure.  More likely is that the bridge will have ramps rather than steps to provide disabled access.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Whilst I can appreciate the requirement for a bridge, I'd be very surprised if it is equipped with lifts as that would normally require them to be staffed in case of failure.  More likely is that the bridge will have ramps rather than steps to provide disabled access.

Lifts it is:

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/major-accessibility-and-safety-upgrade-at-horton-in-ribblesdale-station-1

(I've seen an image somewhere and can't immediately find it)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Is the bank on the west side high enough to just go straight across on that one?

If it was just the footpath I'd suggest that diverting it to where the road goes under would be a better option, but of course that doesn't give any (sensibly practical) access to the platform.

On a cheerier, less controversial note Blea Moor must be getting quite a busy place.

• RMweb Premium

They are busy diverting the footpath to come down the bank on a new set of steps to the centre of the down platform.  As to ramps, I don't think that there is room for them as it's quite a cramped location.  I have see an I age of the proposed bridge and will try and fi d it.  As I mentioned in my introductory post, Ribble Rail on Facebook is providing regular photographic updates. 

Jamie

33 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

OK, so if they do staff it in case of failure, does that mean the foot crossing has to be retained for such use, under supervision?

Or is the chap on duty expected to lug the wheelchair and its occupant up the footbridge?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

OK, so if they do staff it in case of failure, does that mean the foot crossing has to be retained for such use, under supervision?

Or is the chap on duty expected to lug the wheelchair and its occupant up the footbridge?

Plenty of stations with lifts and without foot crossings, so I very much doubt it'll be retained.

Yes I was surprised too. It's as not terrible as could be realistically wished for. 

We were having a similar conversation about this at work. Unfortunately the Disability Discrimination Act means that the days of just asking the CCE if he's got any old bridges lying around following an electrification scheme are over (I think Settle's came from Drem ?). Nowadays you either get the full DDA-compliant works or nothing, as the halway house is, with very few exceptions,  illegal for new works. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Informative/Useful 1