Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Ah! Mystery solved. The van you said "had to go" is an old Wrenn thing which I just use as a scenic prop. That is the one which had the horrible coupling, and which, taking heed of your comments, I replaced with something less obtrusive. That's why I photographed it again, to show I'd done it.

That 'old Wrenn thing' can be sold for loads of dosh  (well £10, unless it is an unusual product) if you have the original box. If you do not have the original box you can get brand new Wrenn boxes from the existing Wrenn range. 'Ramsay's' guide (yes, honestly)would tell you of any value for the van.

Phil Ramsay (aka that Duck thing)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like seeing most of the pictures on your thread. But the ones I like the most are those from the more unusual angles, such as under the canopy or under the bridge. So I particularly like that last shot. However, though I often like the black and white photos I think this one would be better in colour because it would show off the grottiness of the paintwork of the bridge more. You did that in the shots in post 8891 which I thought were fantastic!

However, there are very few pictures on the thread that I'd say I don't like! Thanks for showing them.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful picture; just oozes atmosphere, but one very small suggestion, if I may?

The van to the left looks like it's on tipitoes and only just connects with the road surface; I would say it needs to have its tyres flattened a bit with a file so it 'sits' better.

Some prototypical views of similar vans here may explain what I mean: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/classictruck,rootesgroup/Interesting- just taking the bottom off the tyre gives the impression of weight and substance, something a friend who does military modelling showed me years ago...

Other than that, looks perfect, and I wouldn't have mentioned the van if it wasn't so prominent in the picture.

David

I once did some military modelling. The question of tyres was dealt with by the exact way which you describe in your post. It is a very effective answer to the question of tyres on models not looking right.

And the other thing is to dry brush the weathering onto the tyres as required.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re vehicle tyres, rather than sand a bit off the bottom, which never looks quite right in my opinion, what I do is place the vehicle (or in the pictured case the wheels) on a heated up old tin lid, and then apply very slight pressure, and then immediately cool with water to stop them sticking.

This gives a more prototypical bulge to the tyre:

post-17302-0-37721100-1446131586_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-75992800-1446131588_thumb.jpg

In the instance above, I wanted the appearance of flat tyres, so I added quite a bit of pressure, but you can obviously vary that.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Re vehicle tyres, rather than sand a bit off the bottom, which never looks quite right in my opinion, what I do is place the vehicle (or in the pictured case the wheels) on a heated up old tin lid, and then apply very slight pressure, and then immediately cool with water to stop them sticking.

This gives a more prototypical bulge to the tyre:

attachicon.gifflat-tyres001.jpg

attachicon.gifflat-tyres002.jpg

In the instance above, I wanted the appearance of flat tyres, so I added quite a bit of pressure, but you can obviously vary that.

Al.

Wow, that's really good - I guess the end result depends on the type of plastic on the model tyre and length/strength of the heat?  I'm not sure the rubberised wheels on some of my cars would react too well to this treatment, but the plastic kit ones should be ok...

Either way, at least there's an option...good stuff :good:

David

• RMweb Premium

Not so stupid on the golf course today, five under handicap. :imsohappy: :danced: But why stupid otherwise? Because when I finally plucked up courage to tackle glazing, within a couple of hours I had a completed BSK, with no fingermarks, glue or anything else for that matter on the windows. Too late to photograph it now, but I will post proof tomorrow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not so stupid on the golf course today, five under handicap. :imsohappy: :danced: But why stupid otherwise? Because when I finally plucked up courage to tackle glazing, within a couple of hours I had a completed BSK, with no fingermarks, glue or anything else for that matter on the windows. Too late to photograph it now, but I will post proof tomorrow.

An Everest accomplishment old bean............................(Everest....get it......huge obstacle to overcome/Glazing...............................................OK I've gone to the Loft)

Quackers

I think you're being a bit unkind to yourself with the use of the word 'stupid' there GN! The syndrome you describe is one I (and I suspect many of us) get afflicted by on occasion - you know you have to do something but just don't feel like doing it. I might allow the odd evening or too to go by without doing it then give myself a stern talking to and just force myself to do it. I usually spur myself on by telling myself why I'm doing it and what the result will be once it's done - that usually does the trick. Even better when you know you're challenging yourself a little to go slightly outside your comfort zone.

I wouldn't call it stupid! I'd call it ... er ... human!

The coach looks great by the way! Does your question re curtains only applies to first class vehicles?

• RMweb Premium

As promised, here is the answer to the "why am I so stupid" comment I made yesterday.

attachicon.gifBSK 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBSK 2.jpg

This coach has been sitting looking at me for months, needing only glazing and a few small transfers to complete it. As usual when I don't fancy something I kept putting it off, until, perhaps boosted by the fact that lining the Triplet hadn't gone too badly, I plucked up courage to have a go.

This really didn't take long. I only felt the need to redo one bit, and that wasn't because I got glue where it shouldn't be. Of course it isn't perfect, but why should it be? I'm not for a start, and I've never done this before. So, why did I put it off for so long? Because I'm stupid. It isn't properly joined to the chassis yet by the way, I haven't figured that out yet, but the Mighty Duck will know, even if I can't work it out.

Ah, the lack of fixture pieces!!!!!!!! Sometime.........................

damn fine bit of detailing.

P

Edited by Mallard60022