Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

The WD would not usually derail if passing through the points when they are set against it.  Instead, the stretcher bars would be broken, the point rodding and the lever in the signalbox would vibrate, (rather alarmingly) and the S&T would be cursing the Bobby for extra work they would be having to carryout afterwards. 

As for the Signalman and the Driver, they would have been asked to write reports on how the train managed to smash the points.  The Signalman cannot clear the Signal in rear of the points, due to Interlocking, (No idea if you have any Gilbert?), so did the Driver of the WD fail to stop?

Those who know me, are aware of my Fulltime employment.

Paul 4475

No interlocking Paul, too complicated for me to cope with. This area often makes people think the road is set agianst the loco, but actually there was no problem, and the WD was able to trundle on until it could get onto the Up slow on the other side of Crescent Bridge.

• Like 1

I figured that Interlocking would be too much. It can be interesting trying to work it out.

As for your tandem point in the photo, it does look like the switch rail is set for a move over the main to main crossover.

Any chance of another photo with a locomotive sat slightly further back?

Paul 4475

• RMweb Premium

I figured that Interlocking would be too much. It can be interesting trying to work it out.

As for your tandem point in the photo, it does look like the switch rail is set for a move over the main to main crossover.

Any chance of another photo with a locomotive sat slightly further back?

Paul 4475

I'll do that tomorrow Paul, and I'll also do a shot with the tandem set the other way, to show the difference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll do that tomorrow Paul, and I'll also do a shot with the tandem set the other way, to show the difference.

It occurs to me that I can show this now.

post-98-0-31926500-1456004093_thumb.jpg

The real thing, from a slightly different angle. The tandem is set for the B1 on the right, which I presume has reversed from the Up main. Deltic, and annoyed driver, held at signals. Photo copy right of Andrew C ingram.

• Like 14

It occurs to me that I can show this now.

attachicon.giftandem.jpg

The real thing, from a slightly different angle. The tandem is set for the B1 on the right, which I presume has reversed from the Up main. Deltic, and annoyed driver, held at signals. Photo copy right of Andrew C ingram.

But happy trainspotters - did they bribe the signal man to ensure they got a deltic start up right next to them?

David

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to say Gilbert but on your photo of the WD the tandem is set for the left hand road not the middle one.

This fools so many people. In my shot, the WD is sitting over the second part of the tandem, and obscuring its setting. If you look at the prototype shot in post 10304, both parts can be seen. In that image, the first part, at bottom centre of the picture, is set for the left hand road, but the second part, at the end of the platform, is set straight, not for the crossover, so when the first part is changed, Deltic has a clear road. I will take some more photos in the morning to try to clear this up once and for all.

This fools so many people. In my shot, the WD is sitting over the second part of the tandem, and obscuring its setting. If you look at the prototype shot in post 10304, both parts can be seen. In that image, the first part, at bottom centre of the picture, is set for the left hand road, but the second part, at the end of the platform, is set straight, not for the crossover, so when the first part is changed, Deltic has a clear road. I will take some more photos in the morning to try to clear this up once and for all.

In the image in post 10304 I would say that the first part of the point is set for the right hand road but I agree the first part is not set for the middle road.

In the WD image the first part is set for the middle road (correct for the WD) but the second part isn't.

post-7112-0-06542700-1456010722_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

In the image in post 10304 I would say that the first part of the point is set for the right hand road but I agree the first part is not set for the middle road.

In the WD image the first part is set for the middle road (correct for the WD) but the second part isn't.

attachicon.gifWD.jpg

Sorry Graham, I've been getting confused again. I thought we were talking about the first part of the tandem, which is the one that normally confuses people. The second part does look to be set for the crossover, as you rightly point out. That leaves just one more conundrum. After taking these photos I drove the WD on through the station, and back into the fiddle yard. With the crossover set against it, I should not have been able to do that, as I would have got a short circuit, which I don't remember happening. All very strange.

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting totally disorientated, what with turning taps on and nothing coming out, and images on here which keep coming and going. Here is another shot of Sir Murrough Wilson, now standing at the end of Platform 2, waiting for the off. I don't think you've seen this one, but if you have, apologies.

post-98-0-65707900-1456063861_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Fifteen hours without water now, and the estimated time for it to come back on just keeps getting put back. And so to bed without a shower all day, and not even able to brush my teeth. We shall have another picture anyway.

post-98-0-30409300-1456096120_thumb.jpg

The 1230pm KX- Newcastle heads North behind a Grantham A3, while a K3 is held at signals with a Colwick- KX Goods Class F. There was a very tight margin between this goods train and the preceding Up Newcastle, which had stopped at Platform 2, so I reckon this happened quite often. I doubt the goods would have been sent round the Up slow and allowed to cross in front of the express. Photos of what is behind the tenders of both locos to follow tomorrow.

AND, I have water. :danced:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Fifteen hours without water now, and the estimated time for it to come back on just keeps getting put back. And so to bed without a shower all day, and not even able to brush my teeth. We shall have another picture anyway.

attachicon.gifA3 and K3 1.jpg

The 1230pm KX- Newcastle heads North behind a Grantham A3, while a K3 is held at signals with a Colwick- KX Goods Class F. There was a very tight margin between this goods train and the preceding Up Newcastle, which had stopped at Platform 2, so I reckon this happened quite often. I doubt the goods would have been sent round the Up slow and allowed to cross in front of the express. Photos of what is behind the tenders of both locos to follow tomorrow.

You could brush your teeth with gin...

attachicon.gifA3 and K3 1.jpg

Good Morning Gilbert,

You will be in trouble from the Spotters' Union !!!!   Neither that A3 nor the K3 can be identified. in the picture in 10315.   You'll have to do better than that.

Gresley

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Gilbert,

You will be in trouble from the Spotters' Union !!!!   Neither that A3 nor the K3 can be identified. in the picture in 10315.   You'll have to do better than that.

Gresley

The spotters can see the numbers, no problem. They are standing on the platform aren't they? Oh, hang on though, you mean the spotters on here? :angel:  Actually, I did wonder if I'd get any complaints.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And here, in this haven of peace and quiet, where discord is a word without meaning, things meander along in their customary way. The Up Newcastle has now departed, so the K3 has the road, and is able to pull away past the spotters, who probably aren't very interested in it, or anything black and nameless for that matter.

post-98-0-72926800-1456159484_thumb.jpg

Before the Down Newcastle disappeared though, our cameraman was able to get a shot of most of the rest of its train.

post-98-0-55925800-1456159604_thumb.jpg

Please do tell me if you are getting tired of these "train only" images.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I will never tire of your photo's whether there are trains in them or not. Those latest two are superb, and memories from all those years ago flood back with a vengeance! More please!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The spotters can see the numbers, no problem. They are standing on the platform aren't they? Oh, hang on though, you mean the spotters on here? :angel:  Actually, I did wonder if I'd get any complaints.

Hi Gilbert

I won't be complaining as my Ian Allan ABC spotters books have numbers that start with a D. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

And here, in this haven of peace and quiet, where discord is a word without meaning, things meander along in their customary way. The Up Newcastle has now departed, so the K3 has the road, and is able to pull away past the spotters, who probably aren't very interested in it, or anything black and nameless for that matter.

attachicon.gifK3 1.jpg

Before the Down Newcastle disappeared though, our cameraman was able to get a shot of most of the rest of its train.

attachicon.gifA3 coaches 2 JPG.jpg

Please do tell me if you are getting tired of these "train only" images.

Gilbert,

I love seeing the coaches. Only problem is it reminds me how many I've got to build!

Andy