Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Me too.

As regarding common sense, it's always been my take that as we increase the amount of H&S legislation, we lower the amount of common sense. You only have to watch people step up to a PELICON crossing, and press the button, then wait for a green light, on a completely clear road.......

Oh dear I have been seen standing there, with no cars and waiting for the green man. I normally have four customer dogs with me and they sit until they hear the bleep bleep. Looks very impressive, and it appears I am in full control. Bleep bleep .......then all five of us are across the road in an instant without me having to say anything. I need to be consistent with the dogs when crossing roads.

It is still a bit risky as I have seen two cars in the past year just sail through the red light at one crossing we use, thankfully we were approaching the crossing. It was a close thing the other day when the bleeps were going, screech went this car that was overtaking the lorry that had stopped at the red light. I did exchange a couple of words to the car driver in his big German car, backed up by the lorry driver shouting to him that he could have killed the dogs. Thanks Mr Lorry Driver.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely rake of coaches GB; it's probably due to them being caught in the light but it's the first time I've noticed the destination boards on the sides, although they must have been there in previous pictures - were there only a few rakes which carried them prototypically, or should all the coaches of this era be so adorned?

David

There should be more destination boards, and will be, but as usual not till I get round to it. Named expresses should have them, though I've never been sure whether that should be on every carriage, or just on some. Other expresses should have them too, particularly if the train is running in two or more portions. I'm not sure whether relief services had them, but ordinary passenger trains, as far as I know, did not.

• RMweb Premium

Sir Vincent looks remarkably clean for a Gateshead engine, you can even see what colour it is :O

Ah yes. That would probably be because Sir Vincent is a Heaton engine, and that shed did at least do some cleaning. :jester:  There was a clue Mike, I did put Tyneside, rather than Gateshead. In fairness, would I know the shed code of almost any BR(W) engine. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear I have been seen standing there, with no cars and waiting for the green man. I normally have four customer dogs with me and they sit until they hear the bleep bleep. Looks very impressive, and it appears I am in full control. Bleep bleep .......then all five of are across the road in an instant without me having to say anything. I need to be consistent with the dogs when crossing roads.

It is still a bit risky as I have seen two cars in the past year just sail through the red light at one crossing we use, thankfully we were approaching the crossing. It was a close thing the other day when the bleeps were going, screech went this car that was overtaking the lorry that had stopped at the red light. I did exchange a couple of words to the car driver in his big German car, backed up by the lorry driver shouting to him that he could have killed the dogs. Thanks Mr Lorry Driver.

The other day I was sitting at a red light locally, at a junction where one can see the colour of the lights on the main road. There is a six second period when all lights are at red, because of the number of idiots that shoot them. I watched the main road light go red, waited for mine to turn green, pulled forward, and nearly got my front end knocked off by an ar$eh*le coming through the red. Within two hundred yards, he was in queuing traffic. He turned right up to where I live, and pulled in to a drive no more than fifty yards away, so having established that he was not young, shaven headed and sixteen stone, I asked him why he had shot the red light. "Well, he said, nothing was moving, so it was perfectly safe". :banghead: When I pointed out that red means stop, and it is a criminal offence not to do so, I got a look of pure incomprehension.

• RMweb Premium

The other day I was sitting at a red light locally, at a junction where one can see the colour of the lights on the main road. There is a six second period when all lights are at red, because of the number of idiots that shoot them. I watched the main road light go red, waited for mine to turn green, pulled forward, and nearly got my front end knocked off by an ar$eh*le coming through the red. Within two hundred yards, he was in queuing traffic. He turned right up to where I live, and pulled in to a drive no more than fifty yards away, so having established that he was not young, shaven headed and sixteen stone, I asked him why he had shot the red light. "Well, he said, nothing was moving, so it was perfectly safe". :banghead: When I pointed out that red means stop, and it is a criminal offence not to do so, I got a look of pure incomprehension.

He was no doubt just returning from the 4 foot at St Neots ? Good job you were cautious.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

... , although some variance between Loo-uth and Lau-uth. Lincolnshire is a big county, and there is no more reason to suppose pronunciation to be the same across Kesteven, Holland, and the other one whose name escapes me, ... .

Now - would you be thinking of Lindsey?

Interesting that only Lincs. & Yorks. had 'Ridings.', ( a corruption of 'Thirdings.'), - possibly the olde & Danish influences?

:declare:

Edited by unclebobkt
  • Like 1

... , but none were around yesterday.  ... .

Pray pardon the pedantics, but shouldn't the above really read: ' ... , but none was around yesterday.  ... .  ?

'None.' being a reduction of 'Not one.'.

:locomotive:

He would be a Russian Waiter then?

(Rush and Wait.....get it?)

Stewart

Oh dear I have been seen standing there, with no cars and waiting for the green man. I normally have four customer dogs with me and they sit until they hear the bleep bleep. Looks very impressive, and it appears I am in full control. Bleep bleep .......then all five of us are across the road in an instant without me having to say anything. I need to be consistent with the dogs when crossing roads.

How typically British that the lorry-driver was more concerned with the lives of the dogs than that of their handler.   :angel:

One feels that possibly that 'his big German car.' was designed by Herr Ferdinand Porsch - designed of the 'Tiger.' & similar tanks!

... I suggested a D16 to Simon Kohler about six years ago as part of a possible GE related plan, nearly all of which has come to fruition, so I felt I must get one anyway. The loco is superb ...

I suspect lots of us were similarly hounding Simon, and Hornby has rewarded us in spades over the last few years. The Claud was my "must-have" for rural ex-GER lines.

I am thrilled at the quality of the model they have produced. So much so I felt obliged to buy one of each livery. I now have to think of a use for them. While also waiting for the green Claud promised for later this year (yet another reason why I am hoping Hornby survives its current travails. That's before we even start thinking about the promised B12).

Anyway, it's always a treat to see a D16 on PN. Thanks again.

Paul

Edited by Fenman

• RMweb Premium

Pray pardon the pedantics, but shouldn't the above really read: ' ... , but none was around yesterday.  ... .  ?

'None.' being a reduction of 'Not one.'.

Not according to the Cambridge English Dictionary which gives the defintion as  " not one of... e.g  a group of people or things",and as an example " none of my children has/have blonde hair." 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How typically British that the lorry-driver was more concerned with the lives of the dogs than that of their handler.   :angel:

One feels that possibly that 'his big German car.' was designed by Herr Ferdinand Porsch - designed of the 'Tiger.' & similar tanks!

I was please the lorry driver didn't just ignore the fact that four lovely animals were nearly killed by someone driving badly.

Dr Porsche did not design the PzKpw VI "Tiger", it was the Henschel design that won the contract because it worked (sort of). Only one Porsche Tiger was used in combat as the command vehicle for one of the two Panzerjagerabteilungen equipped with the Ferdinand. The chassis of the Porsche Tiger were used as self propelled guns, the Ferdinand (later called the Elefant).

Edited by Clive Mortimore

N

Now - would you be thinking of Lindsey?

Interesting that only Lincs. & Yorks. had 'Ridings.', ( a corruption of 'Thirdings.'), - possibly the olde & Danish influences?

:declare:

Ah well - we had Parts (of Lincolnshire), not Ridings like those Yorkies.  But it's the same thing really I guess!

One of my photos wasn't sharp. :scratchhead: That leaves this one.

attachicon.gif67 close.jpg

This being, I have decided, a very busy August Friday, there is a relief to the Heart of Midlothian, running as normally occurred in advance of the main train. Doncaster A3 Ladas has backed down to take over the relief, so the Heaton driver of 60126 has had to do a bit of reversing. I have also decided that it is turning into quite a nice sunny day. I shall not though allow all this power to go to my head.

Ladas, double chimney, no Wittes - perfection!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

please humour me but, is that Busy Friday in August 1958 as I believe it to be or have we moved on to 1959?    :stinker:

I know originally it was going to be set in 1958,but I may have lost the plot somewhere along the way.

Kind Regards,Derek.

The problem with some people Derek is that they are too observant, and too knowledgeable. :jester:  I always said that the period would be a bit flexible, so that I could justify  Deltic and keep the M&GN, but even so that doesn't get me past the end of Feb 59. And it certainly doesn't justify 60067 with a double kylchap in August 58, as it didn't get one till April 59. However, ( there always is one when it suits me), when the Hornby A3 first came out I had to do a bit of shuffling around of locos and tenders to get the locos I wanted, and that left me with a double chimney loco and a high sided tender. There were very few GN section locos with that combination, and so there needed to be a time warp. It was only a little one though. :onthequiet:

• Like 2