Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

You'll be pleased to see this early afternoon arrival from Louth then Clive. Whaddya mean, "already seen it" :ireful:

attachicon.gifDMU.jpg

Thank you Gilbert.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I didn't view your thread yesterday. look what happens when you take a day off. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Will 60103 be seen through Peterborough North tomorrow, just like the real thing?

Stewart

It won't Stewart, as I don't have it. Frankly, it seemed rather a cliche to me, there are so many Flying Scotsmen about, and 77 other members of the class to choose from, so it comes lower down my preference list of A3s. It needs a streamlined tender too, which makes it a bit more difficult.

• RMweb Premium

Just clicked on this again, the track from the Who is known to me too, although I don't own the album, I did get to see them at the Birmingham Mayfair suite 1971.

And I used to own one of Keith Moon's drumsticks, which he chucked into the audience...sadly, I sold it to pay the tax on my car three years later while at college, and skint.

I first saw them at the Marquee in 1967. They did smash up their equipment, but none flew in my direction. Then Nottingham Uni in 1971, when they did the whole of Tommy as an encore!  Many times since, but those first two really stand out in memory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean about the all door stock. I've just finished my d194/5 articulated twin from Bill Bedford sides, and that was a lot of work for the door furniture. For that reason I will make do with Hornby all door stock, and will concentrate my efforts on end door stock which should be less work. If you are going to do all door stock I would recommend the MJT sides, as they come with a really neat system for inserting the drop lights using the door hinges which kills two awkward birds with one rather easy stone! I'm currently working on their D10C and TO and they're a joy to work on. (No connection to Dart Castings/ MJT, just a satisfied customer).

Regards

Andy

End door stock is far less work Andy. Tony Wright and I timed some of those he helped me with, and even an all door brake took much longer than end door stock, so we didn't even think about full all door coaches. The Hornby ones are such a disappointment though, I really don't like looking at them. If I did try any though, it would definitely be MJT.

I'm sure B17's have wheels that are too big for their boots, or something. #ducks#

That's because sometimes they had big shoes to fill.

Even having to (on rare occasion) fill in for failed Pacific's. I just finished reading an article how 61635 had to take over the Up Scotsman at Doncaster in June 1951 with no real preparation. Did alright with it too by all accounts.

I love to hear of Engines that seem to be able to punch above their weight. :declare:

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

G'day Gents

If you like stories about engines that could punch above there weight, try, the Ex GNR J1's, more than once they took over from failed Express's in and around Hitchin, and worked forward to KX with 14 coaches on, and did it in stile.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So now to the other box that Tim brought with him, which contained......

post-98-0-77824300-1456393494_thumb.jpg

I was not going to have one of these, but am I glad I changed my mind. It is another simply stunning model. There were two of these at New England in my time scale, but most of the accounts I have read claim they were used as shed pilots. I have though seen photos of them in and around the station, and so I decided there should be one on PN. Tim's weathering job is once again very special, with loads of subtle detail. He told me that he really enjoyed working on these two engines as they were of such a high standard, and it shows - the best he has done for me so far, and the earlier ones were very good indeed.

The question now is what do I use it for? In view of some comments made about B17s, no threatening emoticon as they don't seem to be working, I did consider scrapping the N5 and using the J50 as station pilot in its place.( Please imagine Jester and Devil emoticons here.)  However, it is not vacuum fitted, so I can't do that. I think though that there may be more additions to the sequence so that I can enjoy seeing it regularly. Here is the other side.

post-98-0-19260300-1456394250_thumb.jpg

We have another glorious day, so you know where I'm going now.

• Like 18

The B17's were lovely to look at, but seemed to be withdrawn very early. The only ones I ever saw were at the Plant being cut up. By the time I had my first Observers' Book of British Railway Locomotives, the class was down to one. The notes said, "The sole survivor is allocated to Stratford"...a place which was but a pipe dream to an eight year old.

• RMweb Premium

No wandering Willies on here if you please! SOSJ yes, but not PN, its too sorefisticrated on 'ere'.

J50 on shunty shunty Engineers' coach thingy or clinker (no comment) disposal wagons; i.e. some shed clinker for chucking over the 'deposits' in the station (for those idiots that could not refrain from using the bog whilst the train was standing in the station. OT but when I was travelling by overnight train in the Ukraine, each coach had an attendant and that (large ladies all in Gestapo attire) attendant locked each bog on approach to every station stop. Unlocked them after departure. They also tended the coal fired heating stove in each coach. 

Phil

I live and work in Lincoln and to be honest I have never heard that particular pronunciation of Louth ever!

I used to work for a pallet delivery company at Killingholme, Louth, Woodhall Spa and Market Rasen were three of my destinations. The locals certainly pronounced it like that...at least the older ones.

Round here the aged still use wain't and bain't for won't and shouldn't. The younger ones don't. Language is a living thing, isn't it?

I was actually born in Cleethorpes, which makes me a Meggy...go figure. And Scunthorpe fol refer to Cleethorpes as "Meggies". Yet 10 miles away in Brigg...they don't.

• Like 1

I used to work for a pallet delivery company at Killingholme, Louth, Woodhall Spa and Market Rasen were three of my destinations. The locals certainly pronounced it like that...at least the older ones.

Round here the aged still use wain't and bain't for won't and shouldn't. The younger ones don't. Language is a living thing, isn't it?

I was actually born in Cleethorpes, which makes me a Meggy...go figure. And Scunthorpe fol refer to Cleethorpes as "Meggies". Yet 10 miles away in Brigg...they don't.

When I was at Sheffield University, mid Seventies, and went on a special over the remains of the Louth line, it was definitely double-syllable, although some variance between Loo-uth and Lau-uth. Lincolnshire is a big county, and there is no more reason to suppose pronunciation to be the same across Kesteven, Holland, and the other one whose name escapes me, than across the North, West and East Ridings of Yorkshire. (Perhaps the pronunciation varied according to the variety of holidaymaker?)

• RMweb Premium

#phew# lucky escape.

I would have had to have pinched the vacuum bags off that J50 to fail her on pilot duties to save my baby!

B17's - they weren't really very good you know, seriousy.  Adequate, maybe, no more than.  I CAN understand those who think they are a good looking loco,  I can't really decide why I don't like them in a logical way, I just don't!  However....that Claude...wow, that really is something.  Out of the box plus a superb weathering job, and it is simply stunning.  What a beauty.  The J50's nice too, but for me the Claude is just sublime.  Bowled over.  Odd that I walk past a steadily reducing pile of them at work every day, and haven't even had one out of the box!  Hmmm.....I don't need one, can't justify one...but..... :angel:

• RMweb Premium

The B17's were lovely to look at, but seemed to be withdrawn very early. The only ones I ever saw were at the Plant being cut up. By the time I had my first Observers' Book of British Railway Locomotives, the class was down to one. The notes said, "The sole survivor is allocated to Stratford"...a place which was but a pipe dream to an eight year old.

Apart from three early withdrawals, they all went very quickly between early 1958 and June 1960, save for 61668, the nominal survivor, which hadn't turned a wheel for some time, and was stored at, if I remember correctly, Southend. Would they have lasted longer if the slaughter of East Anglian steam had not been ordered?  We shall never know.

• RMweb Premium

#phew# lucky escape.

I would have had to have pinched the vacuum bags off that J50 to fail her on pilot duties to save my baby!

B17's - they weren't really very good you know, seriousy.  Adequate, maybe, no more than.  I CAN understand those who think they are a good looking loco,  I can't really decide why I don't like them in a logical way, I just don't!  However....that Claude...wow, that really is something.  Out of the box plus a superb weathering job, and it is simply stunning.  What a beauty.  The J50's nice too, but for me the Claude is just sublime.  Bowled over.  Odd that I walk past a steadily reducing pile of them at work every day, and haven't even had one out of the box!  Hmmm.....I don't need one, can't justify one...but..... :angel:

A Claud would look very nice on the mantelpiece. :yes:  As to B17s, they performed very well on the GC pre war, and the main drawback in later years was the onset of very rough riding when they got to about 35000 miles after a general overhaul. Considering they were very much a design fettered by operational needs, and not what Gresley really wanted at all, I think they did a pretty good job. But then, I'm biased.