Peterborough North

great northern

Have we got any nearer resolving the question of L1s working 'twixt Grantham and Peterborough? 

I've spent a most pleasant hour or two peering through my relevant books, but have found no evidence for them actually working through. I'll bet they did though. 

Derek mentions the C12s at both Grantham and Peterborough, though it's unlikely they were used on locals through Little Bytham. New England used to service those used on the Stamford-Essendine branch, as it did the N5s latterly used on it. I've built two C12s for Ian Wilson and we'll occasionally scoot them through light engine. Could this be possible in reality? One at Grantham needing a heavy repair? 

My compliments on some of the recent pictures. Some are extraordinarily realistic. However, might it not be worth scouring the four and six foots to find some front steps? Both ABBOTSFORD and ENTERPRISE have none, and DIAMOND JUBILEE has a set on just one side. It rather spoils the pictures of them for me, because they're so prominent on the real things. I assume the A1 is Bachmann and the A3s Hornby? As such, the steps have to be fixed on by the owner, and they're very fragile, and thus, vulnerable. 

I admit I didn't fit front steps to DANTE (when she was WATLING STREET) or WOLF OF BADENOCH because they were built for my original loft-based Stoke Summit (which had too tight curves), but I should have made the steps for them before selling them to you. 

Your end curves aren't too tight for front steps are they? 

See you before long,

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium

The V2s could be a blessing G? Tomorrow could be exciting though; maybe coaches of interest? 

P

The V2 will be about as big a blessing as I could wish for, Phil. I'm now keeping everything crossed in the hope that it is one of the items on which they have been quietly working away without advertising the fact. With over 30 shedded at New England, I really can't have too many.  Coaches? I doubt it, frankly. Will Hornby ever redo the 'orrible Gresleys? They have plugged the last real hole in the MK1 list with the BSO and FO, and although I live in hope, I can't see a Restaurant Car either. I'm very pleased that you are geting some appropriate Bulleids from Bachmann though. That is a sign for you that the layout is destined for completion and success.

'Levitatory apparatus'.............early drone?

Deliberately vague Neil. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have we got any nearer resolving the question of L1s working 'twixt Grantham and Peterborough? 

I've spent a most pleasant hour or two peering through my relevant books, but have found no evidence for them actually working through. I'll bet they did though. 

Derek mentions the C12s at both Grantham and Peterborough, though it's unlikely they were used on locals through Little Bytham. New England used to service those used on the Stamford-Essendine branch, as it did the N5s latterly used on it. I've built two C12s for Ian Wilson and we'll occasionally scoot them through light engine. Could this be possible in reality? One at Grantham needing a heavy repair? 

My compliments on some of the recent pictures. Some are extraordinarily realistic. However, might it not be worth scouring the four and six foots to find some front steps? Both ABBOTSFORD and ENTERPRISE have none, and DIAMOND JUBILEE has a set on just one side. It rather spoils the pictures of them for me, because they're so prominent on the real things. I assume the A1 is Bachmann and the A3s Hornby? As such, the steps have to be fixed on by the owner, and they're very fragile, and thus, vulnerable. 

I admit I didn't fit front steps to DANTE (when she was WATLING STREET) or WOLF OF BADENOCH because they were built for my original loft-based Stoke Summit (which had too tight curves), but I should have made the steps for them before selling them to you. 

Your end curves aren't too tight for front steps are they? 

See you before long,

Regards,

Tony.  

I've been scouring the books as well, Tony, but I can't find any evidence for or against. I agree with you though, I bet they did.

C12s? Peterborough had the repair shop, and both it and Grantham were in the KX district, so I would think it quite likely that a  Grantham C12 would have occasionally been seen light engine on its way to and from New England. Apart from the Stamford trains though, I doubt they did any passenger work, or indeed anything other than station pilot. That's all they did when I saw them at Grantham anyway.

I really am most extraordinarily unobservant, as I did not notice any of those missing steps. My sight is not good at present, and won't be till I get the laser treatment, but that's no excuse really.  There's no problem with them fouling on curves, but they just fall off, and somehow seem to disappear completely. I did notice that Abbotsford had no drain cocks, but that is something I do put up with, as they can be a real nuisance if I inadvertently pinch them too close to the bogies, when derailments do happen. They are all RTR, as you surmised, by the way.

I am most grateful for your comments about photographs, coming as they do from a master of the art like yourself. I do my best, and I remember some of the tips you have given me over the years, but I'll never get near your standards. Some of my parents'  knowledge and ability does at least seem to have rubbed off though.

• Like 1

I've been scouring the books as well, Tony, but I can't find any evidence for or against. I agree with you though, I bet they did.

C12s? Peterborough had the repair shop, and both it and Grantham were in the KX district, so I would think it quite likely that a  Grantham C12 would have occasionally been seen light engine on its way to and from New England. Apart from the Stamford trains though, I doubt they did any passenger work, or indeed anything other than station pilot. That's all they did when I saw them at Grantham anyway.

I really am most extraordinarily unobservant, as I did not notice any of those missing steps. My sight is not good at present, and won't be till I get the laser treatment, but that's no excuse really.  There's no problem with them fouling on curves, but they just fall off, and somehow seem to disappear completely. I did notice that Abbotsford had no drain cocks, but that is something I do put up with, as they can be a real nuisance if I inadvertently pinch them too close to the bogies, when derailments do happen. They are all RTR, as you surmised, by the way.

I am most grateful for your comments about photographs, coming as they do from a master of the art like yourself. I do my best, and I remember some of the tips you have given me over the years, but I'll never get near your standards. Some of my parents'  knowledge and ability does at least seem to have rubbed off though.

Thanks Gilbert,

However I must disagree with the last part of the second sentence in the last paragraph of your post. 

• RMweb Premium

Not long now to the announcement of the A2/3, and the retooled Gresleys, including a Dia 144 RC and a triplet set. :jester: We shall have a couple more pictures to while away the time until we see confirmation. :no:

It is past 8pm now, and we are getting to the last of the early evening Down trains. Here comes the 6.35pm Hull, another Grantham duty, Centenary this time. It is passing Marne, which is taking its stock down to the carriage sidings.

post-98-0-66508000-1515403739_thumb.jpg

Then we have another of our views around the infrastructure of the station and its surroundings. Our man is still in the hotel garden, but this time has swung round to focus on the main buildings. The head gardener hasn't decided yet what to put in his herbaceaous borders, and has dug down to bedrock while he thinks about it.

post-98-0-44173800-1515403967_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

And you will not be alone.

Most definitely, though I have a Finney one to put together first and it will be interesting to see which hits my layout first, but some J6s need to be done before any of that!

"Not long now to the announcement of the A2/3, and the retooled Gresleys, including a Dia 144 RC and a triplet set. :jester: We shall have a couple more pictures to while away the time until we see confirmation."

Unfortunately none of the above.  I have a Comet Triplet set.  Retooled Gresley's would be nice, but I have enough. An A2/3 would be a nice addition.  I doubt we will see one in a very long time, if ever.

A Toad B/E is coming though.  Something for us eastern modellers.

Nice set of photos too.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Most definitely, though I have a Finney one to put together first and it will be interesting to see which hits my layout first, but some J6s need to be done before any of that!

"Not long now to the announcement of the A2/3, and the retooled Gresleys, including a Dia 144 RC and a triplet set. :jester: We shall have a couple more pictures to while away the time until we see confirmation."

Unfortunately none of the above.  I have a Comet Triplet set.  Retooled Gresley's would be nice, but I have enough. An A2/3 would be a nice addition.  I doubt we will see one in a very long time, if ever.

A Toad B/E is coming though.  Something for us eastern modellers.

Nice set of photos too.

Mark

My earlier comments were very much tongue in cheek, of course, as I had not seen a single pig flying across my vision when I opened the curtains this morning. I had not though anticipated that there would be, apart from that Toad, nothing at all for anyone modelling the Eastern from nationalisation to the end of steam. Not a thing, not even reruns of existing models. I'm realistic about these things, we can't all have everything in each year's announcements, but something would have been nice. I shall now continue to mutter darkly.

My earlier comments were very much tongue in cheek, of course, as I had not seen a single pig flying across my vision when I opened the curtains this morning. I had not though anticipated that there would be, apart from that Toad, nothing at all for anyone modelling the Eastern from nationalisation to the end of steam. Not a thing, not even reruns of existing models. I'm realistic about these things, we can't all have everything in each year's announcements, but something would have been nice. I shall now continue to mutter darkly.

Happy New Year Gilbert - been off the forum for a few days as we focus on getting the house ready to sell - not that the market has many buyers out there, so it may be a while!

Anyway, I was pleased to see the J72- I've gone though at least five of the previous ones that all split their axles and ended up with binding coupling rods regardless of how I tried to solve the problem. It's not a particularly useful or powerful engine, but looks pretty!

• RMweb Premium

You could get a spanner thingy.

A. Wrench

• RMweb Premium

You could get a spanner thingy.

A. Wrench

Now don't you start coming over all smug, just 'cos you got just about everything you could have wished for. :jester:  I'm very pleased for you, and frankly even more so for the Scottish modellers whose existence has finally been acknowledged. It's just that nothing at all came as a bit of a shock, particulary now Hornby are highlighting the parts of the UK to which each model is applicable.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe they have seen that you and Tony and the LNER/ER brigade have got so much ER stuff that they don't need to do any for a while :nono:

However, I think it is probably that my bribe was a really, really bigilly bribe that was on my desk, was bigger than your bribe and it worked. I am also a genius and enjoy tweeting.

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year Gilbert - been off the forum for a few days as we focus on getting the house ready to sell - not that the market has many buyers out there, so it may be a while!

Anyway, I was pleased to see the J72- I've gone though at least five of the previous ones that all split their axles and ended up with binding coupling rods regardless of how I tried to solve the problem. It's not a particularly useful or powerful engine, but looks pretty!

A Happy New Year to you too Peter. I've been hoping you might tell us that you have found a property which has some modelling potential! I've recently noticed that all of my split chassis locos are showing signs of failure, so this is, I thnk, a good move on Bachmann's part. My locos don't actually do a great deal of work, so there must be many that have already expired.

Of course you absolutely must have a new layout now, in order to run your J36s.

A few items for the LNER modellers Gilbert, including a green A4 finally (Not counting that strange gloss version from the Gresley set of four last year).

But as you say nothing Eastern post 1948.

More astounding is the complete absence of an A3 or Gresley A1 in any form (even in Railroad). I can't remember the last time that was the case ! (I was hoping quietly for an Express Blue version). Perhaps they have finally retired the tooling whilst they sort out the ski ramp front ends that have been evident in the last few years.

Phil however, might have to rob the bank of England or something :D

Regards Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Maybe they have seen that you and Tony and the LNER/ER brigade have got so much ER stuff that they don't need to do any for a while :nono:

However, I think it is probably that my bribe was a really, really bigilly bribe that was on my desk, was bigger than your bribe and it worked. I am also a genius and enjoy tweeting.

Ar$£

Yes, you are much cleverer than me guv. I don't even know how to tweet either. Mind you, I'm having a smart meter installed today. Do you think that might help? Possibly in conjunction with a comb over?  I shall look on the bright side. Now that the existence of restaurant cars has been acknowledged, perhaps they may spread to other parts in the not too distant feature. Have you worked out your cassette and spur contents yet?

• RMweb Premium

Yes, you are much cleverer than me guv. I don't even know how to tweet either. Mind you, I'm having a smart meter installed today. Do you think that might help? Possibly in conjunction with a comb over?  I shall look on the bright side. Now that the existence of restaurant cars has been acknowledged, perhaps they may spread to other parts in the not too distant feature. Have you worked out your cassette and spur contents yet?

Oh poo, I am undone! I am not blonde and my meter is smarter than yours because it's mine and it is big with numbers. Anything you write on here about me is false news and that book is a load of bo##ocks written by a Russian Spy.

Anyway dear heart, Dapol and Peco may surprsie you with super surprises.

Donald

A few items for the LNER modellers Gilbert, including a green A4 finally (Not counting that strange gloss version from the Gresley set of four last year).

But as you say nothing Eastern post 1948.

More astounding is the complete absence of an A3 or Gresley A1 in any form (even in Railroad). I can't remember the last time that was the case ! (I was hoping quietly for an Express Blue version). Perhaps they have finally retired the tooling whilst they sort out the ski ramp front ends that have been evident in the last few years.

Phil however, might have to rob the bank of England or something :D

Regards Ted

The princess coronation and now the streamlined version are retooled. Could the a3 recieve the same treatment for 2019? From a customers point of view it doesn't need it, but neither did either coronation version, but from a manufacturers point of view, they may be looking at simpler assembly techiques.

• RMweb Premium

Seriously, would the Rebuilt Patriot (early crest) be any use for that Midland diversion idea?

P

It was the original Patriot which tempted me Phil, and apparently they were seen on goods trains from Crewe. There will be no cash available for such things now though, as it will have to be devoted to more rolling stock.

• RMweb Premium

The BSO in red/cream with an "E" prefixed number will be useful to go at the other end of the set to my recently purchased maroon one, and good to see the Gresley non gangwayed coaches re-run, although I've probably got enough of them already!