Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of Throstle's has reminded me of Throstle Nest Farm not too far from where I live. Thank you for that explanation, and if anyone can uncover the meaning behind Rickle Pits Farm, again near where I live I would be so grateful. ;)

Just sorry to go so far off the big topic of Peterborough North, and Gilbert's magnificent layout.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Did all the Iron ore trains from High Dyke only travel north Gilbert? I recall they were hauled by Rods well into the 1960's.

Yes, they all went North, none through PN at all. It is one of the minor frustrations, along with the fact that any number of classes of engine got as far as New England every day from the North, but hardly ever did that last mile down to the station. That's one of the reasons why I cheat a bit.

• Like 1

While I was looking at You tube videos of Spams to post on Phil's topic - SOS Jct ..

I happened across this little Jewel at PN, It's a few years after Gilbert's timeline but instantly recognisable as We scoot under the bridge and into the station itself. Although I think the film has been sped up a little.

I hope it's of some interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8HCmy_6fg

Regards Ted

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

While I was looking at You tube videos of Spams to post on Phil's topic - SOS Jct ..

I happened across this little Jewel at PN, It's a few years after Gilbert's timeline but instantly recognisable as We scoot under the bridge and into the station itself. Although I think the film has been sped up a little.

I hope it's of some interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8HCmy_6fg

Regards Ted

It is of interest thanks Ted, but how I wish the person who did it had been looking out of the other side of the carriage. That's where most of the detail I'm still lacking is to be seen.

• RMweb Premium

Still in search of slightly different views, I tried this. That lamp spoils it somewhat though.

attachicon.gif523 3.JPG

Looking at it again though, it is otherwise quite promising. Mixing things up a bit, we'll have some more still life, this time the rear of coaching stock at platform 6, and that long rake of empties stretching into the distance.

attachicon.giftwo ends.JPG

I wonder if it is possible that we might see some daylight at some stage of today. The typing of this sentence involved the use of no less than three digits. :swoon:

That Porter in the last pic is doing a 'Poznan'. (Not in the clip...in G's pics)

Phooty Ball

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Really been enjoying these latest lot of photos Gilbert, especially some of the different angles with Sun Castle and that last one of the Standard 4.

Good luck in the comp, hope the early start is not too much of a handicap!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The day remained dank dreary and very dark until after 1.00pm, when suddenly everything brightened up. That meant I could take some more photos, and that in turn means I have plenty in store, and so can post another one.

attachicon.gif523 4.JPG

Much easier to compose, and to shop, so although it is a very familiar view, I shall keep returning to it.

So nice outside now that I may even go for a very brisk walk.

Sorry to be a party pooper, and perhaps I've only just noticed (duly self-admonished) but is that ground disc in the right place or is the angle of view misleading me?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be a party pooper, and perhaps I've only just noticed (duly self-admonished) but is that ground disc in the right place or is the angle of view misleading me?

I may have knocked it a little askew while getting rid of the desert, Mike, but otherwise it is right. As you say, it is the angle of view that makes it look wrong. I'll see if I can find a photo that copyright will allow me to put on here.