RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

WD 2-10-0 90774 was also named - NORTH BRITISH, I believe.

attachicon.gif90774_04.jpg

Copyright M. Morant.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

According to Wiki, so was 90773, but that name never appeared in any abc I had, and the WD 2-10-0's were all in Scotland, so might as well have been on the moon for us younger spotters in the 60's.

I'm sure I posted this before, Gilbert, but while enjoying the modelling of Jim S-W on his Birmigngham New street thread, he took some photos in lower light by closing the aperture of his camera, putting it on time exposure, and waving a small LED light source around the bits he wanted better exposed.

The smaller aperture would also give better depth of field.

I've had a meeting I didn't have to chair. I have celebrated with a modicum of red, and now I shall show that I do listen to what you say. Here is a picture that was too difficult to photoshop, so you get it in the raw. Flying Fox is on the way to London.

attachicon.gifFox 1.JPG

This is the 8.00am from Newcastle, which was totally restricted, and so should have no parcels vehicles. Whoever decreed that didn't know about coupling incompatibility.

attachicon.gifFox and A1.JPG

This , on the other hand, was easy to deal with. Flying Fox and Patrick Stirling on a Down Leeds about to exchange greetings.

Gilbert,

It looks like Tony Geary has fitted one LNER lamp and one LMS lamp to denote FLYING FOX's express, the latter being turned inwards.

I mention this because there's a discussion about loco lamps on Wright Writes. I wish I'd check their positions before taking my pictures! 

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I posted this before, Gilbert, but while enjoying the modelling of Jim S-W on his Birmigngham New street thread, he took some photos in lower light by closing the aperture of his camera, putting it on time exposure, and waving a small LED light source around the bits he wanted better exposed.

The smaller aperture would also give better depth of field.

I did take note Jeff, but there are problems. I can't do better than f8, and even with fifteen second exposures it is still too dark. Opening right up to f2.8 gives me the light, but loses depth of focus. Getting another light source in there would be hard too, as it is very easy to knock things over, or cause damage to the valancing, which I have done in the past, though we managed to repair it. The roof is such a tight fit we don't take it off unless we absolutely have to, so I can't risk disturbing things under there. Sometimes there just isn't enough natural light, and I really should accept that, and not attempt to take anything under there.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

It looks like Tony Geary has fitted one LNER lamp and one LMS lamp to denote FLYING FOX's express, the latter being turned inwards.

I mention this because there's a discussion about loco lamps on Wright Writes. I wish I'd check their positions before taking my pictures! 

Lamps are the bane of my existence at present Tony, as my left eye is so blurred I struggle to see anything that small. I've got some more Modelu ones to paint and position, but it will have to wait until I have my operation.

We have one of those mornings when the weather hasn't read the forecast to find out what it should be doing. That in turn means that I'm not sure what I shall be doing. I have been taking photos though, so here are some more. Another of the W1 experiments.

attachicon.gif700 roof 4.JPG

followed by just another look through an archway.

attachicon.gifthrough arch.JPG

Oh, I do like the maroon Mark Ones glimpsed through the archway. I feel drawn in and want to run through and see the loco' sitting at the head of the train.

More please!

Today was going to be a railway day, or part of it at least, but other things intervened so nothing got done. That means short rations again, as I'm nearly out of images. We can have another look at 60119 though, and there is the additional benefit of local A2/3 Sun Castle heading for the Up bay, where it will await the arrival of the 7.43 Sunderland.

attachicon.gif523 and A1 1.JPG

Now that I do like! I was always fond of those big eight wheel tenders and the finish on 523's is spot on. Superb photo', one of your very best IMO.

• RMweb Premium

Looking out of my bedroom window this morning, I see a lake where no lake should be. Golf course closed, railway room door open, and ideas bubbling away. I shall now empty the image store, knowing that I can replenish it.

post-98-0-26704600-1520674854_thumb.jpg

The A1 is easing away, but the photographer just managed to get this shot before the view of Sun Castle was blocked. Then we have a view which may be from a first floor window of the hotel.

post-98-0-94736100-1520675008_thumb.jpg

and now to work.

• Like 15

Looking out of my bedroom window this morning, I see a lake where no lake should be. Golf course closed, railway room door open, and ideas bubbling away. I shall now empty the image store, knowing that I can replenish it.

attachicon.gif523 and A1 2.JPG

The A1 is easing away, but the photographer just managed to get this shot before the view of Sun Castle was blocked. Then we have a view which may be from a first floor window of the hotel.

attachicon.gifroof.JPG

and now to work.

Dear sir,

I believe some kids may have tipped over your hut.

• RMweb Premium

Dear sir,

I believe some kids may have tipped over your hut.

No, that's how it was. It is a fogman's hut, and was stored like this to stop it getting wet inside.

post-98-0-18164200-1520675915_thumb.jpg

What's a Jubilee doing at PN in 1957 at the latest? A Kentish Town loco at that? I have no idea. Answers gratefully received. Photo courtesy of and copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi. That Jubilee appears to be coming off a train of ex LMS non corridor stock, so, if right, a special not some kind will be the answer.

Best regards,

Rob.

Let's hope the journey wasn't too long, then !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

^^^

Excursion working? Football special?

A football special would have gone to East, as that station was much nearer the ground. It could be an excursion, but where from? I'm assuming that with a Midland engine it would be going down to East, and thence somewhere on that Region. I reckon the loco may be backing on, which would make sense if the train has come from somewhere on the GN. If it has come from Leicester, which is another possibility, and is going to East or beyond, there wouldn't be an engine change here. And why a London based Jubilee? I've never been able to fathom this one out.

• RMweb Premium

Hi. That Jubilee appears to be coming off a train of ex LMS non corridor stock, so, if right, a special not some kind will be the answer.

Best regards,

Rob.

LMS non corridor would be typical for a Leicester- East local, but it wouldn't change engines here if so. As I keep saying, I can't find a logical answer to it.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder, Gilbert. Back in the fifties, extras to Bridlington, from, for example, Sowerby Bridge, would sometimes be formed of a long train of both corridor and non corridor carriages, all ex LMS. They would, typically, be hauled by a Fowler 4f of all things! I have photos of those trains. So, based on that, I am still thinking some kind of special has worked in from, just maybe, either Burton on Trent or Derby.

Perhaps it was in connection with a special event that was taking place. I hope this extra information might be of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

I have had a very productive day. :scratchhead: Trains run, lots of photos taken, and I've spent a long time sorting out train formations and coupling incompatibilities. That last pastime is interesting to say the least, but I reckon I have at last nearly managed it. Now all we have to do is some very complex shuffling around, both within and between formations, and to get some more kadees fitted. Tomorrow I have some more ideas to trial too. Some photos. Our view through the arch is partially blocked by this.

attachicon.gifarch 1.JPG

For those who may feel short changed by seeing only a small part of this example of the modernised railway, our photographer also took this.

attachicon.gifcravens.JPG

it will be off to Cleethorpes shortly, whatever the destination blind may say.

I don't know for sure but you may be able to lift the destination blind off by carefully prising it at the bottom with a fine knife/scalpel. The destination is printed on the inside of the 'glass'. Rub this away and you'll be able to print new ones and replace the old blind. This worked for my Class 108 but I'm unsure if it would for a Cravens unit though.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know for sure but you may be able to lift the destination blind off by carefully prising it at the bottom with a fine knife/scalpel. The destination is printed on the inside of the 'glass'. Rub this away and you'll be able to print new ones and replace the old blind. This worked for my Class 108 but I'm unsure if it would for a Cravens unit though.

I won't be doing anything to this one actually, as in due course it will be moving to a place where the present destinations will be far more relevant. That's when I get the replacement I have in mind.

• Like 1