Peterborough North

great northern

On 05/09/2022 at 09:26, great northern said:

Two NE engines in shot at the same time definitely merits a photograph or two.

932912704_5517and961.JPG.5df7e45ee3c6c5bd8efd51cba9fab1d0.JPG

1492680895_6517and9612.JPG.1810fb9402fc0fc9f8837d32b93ea049.JPG

This last photo has to be one of the most atmospheric shots to date. Thank you for sharing

Edited by davidw
clarity
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, lmsforever said:

like the schoolboys spotting at the end of the platform bet they are thinking, only a freight and another B1 whens the next streak coming?

At that age, I think you are absolutely correct. I don't think I started even recording numbers of goods engines till I was about 13. B1s may have gone in the book before that though.

• RMweb Premium

Two very wonderful images, my particular favourite is the first one with the shadow limiting our view of the valve gear and other detail. This is often the case when searching for some good images for loco modelling. The second image also captures very well the sense of great depth with the bright light at the other end of the station.

We had a lovely trout stream in our front garden when we lived in Wiltshire, our bane was the local Avocet that had a real liking for young trout. The fly fishers at the ponds served by the stream became very tense. I didn't think there was much I could do about it not really being a hunting, fishing type of person.

A picture of our entry into the village scare-crow competition - we won that year with Miss O. Very romantic...

1646768713_MissO060.JPG.10bfdb8134088f8c037012bb9b5cfd85.JPG

Very sorry Gilbert for the diversion, what's this got to do with Peterborough and the ECML?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Ref the heron, you could try putting some wires or netting over your pond.  But I know from experience that herons are pretty persistent once they find a tasty supply of captive fish, unfortunately.

On 08/09/2022 at 09:06, great northern said:

Got up early, drew curtains, heron flew off. It hasn't come back, so will have had its fill for the time being.

No easy pickings for them at PN, as I shall make sure there are no ponds in the gardens of Station Road. 60514 carries on its way, and the regulator will have been opened.

1591527901_35143.JPG.ec3a0db13044f62a629c3f0875cf8202.JPG

Another of our favourites has arrived at Platform 6 with the shuttle.

2040509084_45474.JPG.da953bae958062427ea549ec49ec6f87.JPG

You need a plastic heron - herons are very territorial and aggressive - a plastic heron convinces the real one that the pond is 'taken'. Works for several of my neighbours who have very expensive fish ponds. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AHW said:

You need a plastic heron - herons are very territorial and aggressive - a plastic heron convinces the real one that the pond is 'taken'. Works for several of my neighbours who have very expensive fish ponds. 

My experience, I'm afraid was not good. I bought one, and it did not work. The RSPB website states "a plastic heron will more likely attract other herons rather that deter them". Having said that, obviously I'm pleased to hear that it works for some people.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AHW said:

My father-in-law placed a plastic heron next to his pond. My mother-in-law found it very funny when a real one tried to mate with it.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Pilgrim in France said:

I  believe the Standard Class 5s were tried on the Grimsby/Cleethorpes to London expresses

I haven't seen any evidence of that, written or photographic. I surmise that if it did happen it was not judged to be a success, and was a short lived experiment. My other reservation would be that these were Immingham loco duties, and crewed by Immingham and Boston men, who, I am sure, would have made a great fuss if their most prestigious duties were handed over to Kings Cross. I can find no record of a Std 5 being allocated to Immingham, even for a short time. All 1958 photos I've seen show Immingham B1s, so following my usual principles I stick to that.