Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

JEFFP, I too prefer the 'Witte' smoke deflectors....and the double chimney, especially with a GN tender, and as 60100.  I thought the improvements were exactly that!

I like the Brits, it's just that angle....maybe the bigger tender versions would look better.

edit - 60100 would be one hell of a cop at Peterborough!

I too like the Brits. Even when looking to produce a more easily maintained machine,and in a time of austerity, British loco designers still didn't neglect the aesthetic side of things. I wonder if the problem with the three quarter view is that the high running plate makes the front bogie wheels look very small, and gives an odd effect?

On the subject of A3's though, I'm in the opposite camp, as to me the original design looks just about perfect from any angle. I'm always a bit ambivalent about the double chimney, which made them look a bit top heavy, but nevertheless on balance I still liked it. The German deflectors though ruined the loco for me, just totally alien to British practice, and spoiling the whole thing.

As to 60100, it was one hell of a cop for me on an "unofficial" visit to the Crimpsall in August 1958. We crept in during lunch time, and though we still couldn't get in to the main shop - too many people about, Spearmint was on its own to one side, absolutely filthy. What's more, Railway Observer records her as being at PN both before and after that overhaul. I shall resist.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Time for a dumb question. Even the sage of St Neots couldn't give me a precise answer to this one, but he bets JWeallans can. What's the reason for two types of pipe?  TW says that the "dangly" ones were used on end door stock, for practical reasons, and that is perfectly logical. Why didn't I think of that?

Is that the only reason though? Things are rarely that simple, so is it another case of "It was done like that except when it wasn't"?

I'm afraid I'm going to be a disappointment to both you and Andy, Gilbert.  I don't know why the upright vac pipe was preferred.  TW is quite right about the hanging ones, they were often used on end door vehicles such as those littering your parcels bay for obvious reasons.  Up to BR days, though, the upright pipe seems to have been the installation of choice wherever possible.  I can't see that the pipe needed to be kept clear of anything, I'm not sure it helped shunters couple or uncouple and i| can't see any advantage from an inspection or maintenance point of view (maybe they got less road dirt thrown onto them?)

BR seem to have been a bit less focussed on them and a great many vans and brake vans which the Big Four would have put upright pipes on were given hanging ones.  In my own observation, anyway.

Perhaps I'll post it as a query on the BR Yahoo group.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I'm going to be a disappointment to both you and Andy, Gilbert.  I don't know why the upright vac pipe was preferred.  TW is quite right about the hanging ones, they were often used on end door vehicles such as those littering your parcels bay for obvious reasons.  Up to BR days, though, the upright pipe seems to have been the installation of choice wherever possible.  I can't see that the pipe needed to be kept clear of anything, I'm not sure it helped shunters couple or uncouple and i| can't see any advantage from an inspection or maintenance point of view (maybe they got less road dirt thrown onto them?)

BR seem to have been a bit less focussed on them and a great many vans and brake vans which the Big Four would have put upright pipes on were given hanging ones.  In my own observation, anyway.

Perhaps I'll post it as a query on the BR Yahoo group.

Relatively simple answer - it is far easier to join 'high level' vac bags, far easier.  

In addition - and an important point on freight trains - the high level bags are well clear of the couplings so aren't likely to get parted by accidentally being banged as couplings slack off or go taut - important to remember that unlike the situation on passenger the vac bags on freight trains were not pinned, they simply relied on the mechanical engagement of the two end pieces and the seal provided by the washers.  The reason for that was also simple, once the vacuum had been destroyed (philosophical question - how can you destroy nothing?) and the strings had been pulled to release the vac brake the wagons would simply part when uncoupled with no need for anyone to go in between to part the pipes - ok so occasionally things would go wrong and a vacuum bag would be pulled of the standpipe but usually they parted or they could be flicked apart with a shunting pole.  And that faciilty made it far quicker, and safer, to break up a vac fitted train or vehicles when shunting.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

JW - yes, if the shunter/Guard were vigilant re. screw-up.

Am I missing something though? Loads of wagons only had three link so there was no screw up there!

The 'high level bags' were well clear of the couplings as Stationmaster says and thus easier to check visually as well as join up as he says.

As always, an interesting one.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Ah, my love of 60100 comes from reading 'Engineman Elite' by 'Toram Beg' - Norman someone, although it turned out later some of the anecdotes in it were attributed to other drivers and he was being, er, less than truthful.  She certainly was clean then, but in the only shot I have of her (by E E Smith) she is absolutely filthy, yes.  As a Haymarket (or was it St Margarets? It's been years since I read it last) loco she would have been seen in Newcastle of course, so I'm safe with her!

I thought Gresley A1's looked rather ill proportioned as built #ducks#, with the taller boiler mountings, and subsequent A3's looked better, and the double chimney versions the best of all, injecting a touch of modernity into them.  I realise the deflectors are a very personal thing, but there we go, we're all different, again I thought they made the old girls look modern and powerful.

Nice cop though Gilbert, that did surprise me!  Don't resist, she was one of the best.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ohh, the N5 and the C12 in one post!

May I be permitted a teensy little nit pick?  The bright copper cylinder drain pipes on a weathered loco......copper oxide is black.  I doubt these pipes would look anything other than that on a loco that dirty.  It's a superb weathering job, but those pipes jar with me a smidge.  (A smidge is a metric unit of measurement by the way).

I feel guilty saying it now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Neil      "Ah, my love of 60100 comes from reading 'Engineman Elite' by 'Toram Beg' - Norman someone, although it turned out later some of the anecdotes in it were attributed to other drivers and he was being, er, less than truthful". 

Norman MacKillop: Spearmint was 'his' engine. I must dig out the book I have by him - not the one above.

Quack

Gilbert, you have exceeded all previous efforts with that last shot. It is absolutely superb and I'll even forgive the CL Signal (boo - we want 'pegs').

The first shot really shows how beautifully your points have been built; just look at those little 'jigs' in the rails where the switches seat themselves - lovely.

I do hope you have the Notts and Lincs Air Ambulance on speed dial? Good luck.

Quack (in a chime sounding sort of way).

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

MacKillop, yes, thank you Mr High Speed Duck - my mind is still a bit fuzzy due to being on a lot of naughty painkillers still.

Gilbert's photos have really started hitting the imagination now, giant holly aside I love that last set.  Inspiration in spades, and he still resists time and area interlopers too!  More power to your lens, sir.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Calling Mr Oates, calling Mr Oates, come in Mr Oates; you have been outside far too long and oh yes, don't use yellow snow for the tea please.

G, are you back and safe buddy? Some plonker dumped some more white stuff all over 36E last evening so hope you didn't get caught?

Quack

• RMweb Premium

You haven't shown what is doing the attaching move at the rear! PN must have more pilots than a dog has fleas....  :diablo_mini:

Good luck with the snowy walk    :scratchhead:

Three station pilots back in '58 Andy, so my two C12's and the N5 will perform those. How do you know what was happening at the rear? You can't see the back of the train. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Calling Mr Oates, calling Mr Oates, come in Mr Oates; you have been outside far too long and oh yes, don't use yellow snow for the tea please.

G, are you back and safe buddy? Some plonker dumped some more white stuff all over 36E last evening so hope you didn't get caught?

Quack

It was all a bit of a damp squib Phil. Nice and clear as I walked to the Club, and plenty of light to walk safely with all the snow on the ground. A bit of freezing rain on the way back, but nothing to worry about. No ploughing heroically through waist high drifts or anything like that.

Unfortunately when I got home some very bad news was waiting for me, so I'm not in a mood for laughing and joking just now. I can't say more yet, but all will become clear later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sensitive but sensible thinking - I'm glad you've found a way to bounce back a little. This site exists to inspire - and you and Mr S have each done a huge amount of that, TVM. Keeping your marvellous show on this road is the best tribute you can pay to your pal and his positive influence, while we all keep fingers and toes firmly crossed for better news. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a daft question, Mike, but you mention couplings slacking off or going taut - weren't they screwed up when the vac pipes were connected?

Sorry I missed this previously JW although Mallard has given an answer.  BSeveral reasons - firstly as already mentioned the things were not always screwed up with the required degree of tautness and in any case there was a very slight slack (1.5 inches so I was told 40 years ago!) and - something I forgot previously - low level pipes when disconnected were possibly more susceptible to damage from swinging couplings, especially the lever on a screw coupling I would think.

Instanters - yes, used in vacuum fitted parts of trains they were supposed to be in the short position which in theory kept the buferheads about as far apart as a tightened screw coupling (in theory).

• Like 1