RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

Very true - AndyY seems to be very good at producing smoke, getting more realistic with every successive job I think.

Ditto, I'm not a fan of some smoke/steam photoshopery as I don't always find it convincing, but that does look very nice Andy.

Very true - AndyY seems to be very good at producing smoke, getting more realistic with every successive job I think.

Funnily enough it wasn't the smoke that caught my eye, it was that if you look past the loco you can see the countryside the otherside of the overall roof! I think they have found some prototype colour shots of PN and are trying to pass them off as models!

Ian

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 1

Funnily enough it wasn't the smoke that caught my eye, it was that if you look past the loco you can see the countryside the otherside of the overall roof! I think they have found some prototype colour shots of PN and are trying to pass them off as models!

Ian

A little too green and rural for Peterborough, even in 1958! I think plans are afoot for something more appropriate, if you go back a few posts.....

Super shot, though

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, he's a clever so and so that Mr York. :yes: He took this photo under my fluorescent lights, so how he managed to get a result like this I don't know, as I don't seem to be able to achieve anything satisfactory when they are on. He forgot to photoshop a lamp onto the loco though. :D

I need to get some more texture into the platform surfaces too. As to the greenery, it is fairly close to where the only bit actually was in 1958, behind Crescent Junction box and the old Midland station, but I doubt you would have been able to see it from this angle. So, why can you see it on here? Well, I put three Woodland Scenics trees behind there to fill in the corner, and they have fallen over!

That it all looks something like real is testament to the skill of Peter Leyland, Hornby's excellent portrayal of the locomotive, and Andy's photography and photoshopping. He does have some extra programmes on his G12 that I don't though. And he's much better at it than I am.

• Like 2

We WILL find you. Wherever you run. There is no hiding place. :threaten: :bomb_mini:

Erm, I like B17s but I've never liked LNER Pacifics.

Fireboxes like flared trousers and smokebox door darts like something a mod would put on a Vespa. And as for the A4s - well, that's just a big long diesel hood, isn't it?

But, with the help of this thread, I'm learning. I'm learning. :training:

Alan

Alan

• Like 1

Fireboxes like flared trousers and smokebox door darts like something a mod would put on a Vespa. And as for the A4s - well, that's just a big long diesel hood, isn't it?

Alan

Alan

You could be in trouble!

Look at the grief I got when I mentioned a ukulele dome.....

But I agree, anything with a GE influence (either in looks or operation) does it for me. Those dirty gert pacific things always looked wrong to me at Cambridge (except the Brits of course)

• Like 2

The trip to Yarmouth via the M&GN took four hours, so I doubt many used that for a day trip.

The two Xpress Publishing books about the M&GN make much play of the fact that the last train from Yarmouth back to Peterborough left about an hour after the first train had arrived, so the opportunities for a reasonable day-trip from Peterborough to the seaside were a bit limited.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy, "those dirty gert pacific things".......... are not really that big, (well I suppose the A2 rebuilds are and maybe the A1s). They and their behaviour give the impression of them being big and they were/are, of course, 'large' in the eyes of those lucky enough to seen them roaring up and down the ECML. or simmering in a gianty, dragony sort of way in their lairs.

Alan, there are, of course, some really big maroon and other green machines that work on that 'rival' route (speaker points in a westerly direction) to Scotland, but we must not mention them here. Those 'Princess' things have really  weeny teeny chimneys as well.....weird.

But then there are the very good looking beasts that BR are conjuring up out of Mr. Bulleid's 'cans', but likewise we must not mention them here. One of those whizzing through wherever, with whistle open on a dark winter's evening at rush hour, is something to behold I can tell you; not dissimilar to watching an A1 through 36E in similar conditions (except there is no 'rush hour' in 36E) I am pleased to confirm. Of course they are actually pretty Brits with odd looking wheels... (and we now know were exterminated ten years too early, as were the A1s and Brits of course).

Gilbert, I must hasten to reassure you that the only thing that looks remotely like a Mod's 'Vespa' on PN is 'Deltic'. :sarcastichand:

I will now place myself under house arrest and promise to write out a hundred lines something like this :rtfm: .

P@36E

P.S. What's this to do with anything connected with P.N.?  It is, in part (the blue bits) an adapted transcript of a discussion between some spotters at PN; some had travelled from the Cross to bash the P'boro' sheds and were sharing Hales Individual Fruit Pies with the locals whilst awaiting their onward train to Donny. :crazy:

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Alan

Alan

And you're keeping the whole of the Irish sea between us Alan. :D  Very wise.

• Like 1

As to the greenery, it is fairly close to where the only bit actually was in 1958, behind Crescent Junction box and the old Midland station, but I doubt you would have been able to see it from this angle. So, why can you see it on here? Well, I put three Woodland Scenics trees behind there to fill in the corner, and they have fallen over!

Fear not, any green bits are all my fault and not any fallen Woodland Scenics (also seen through the arched windows) as I had a particularly nice sky which was taken very near to the Castleman's Corkscrew which also did a nice line in green engines. I must get out into the fens a bit more and drop in a few bits of nondescript buildings but at least it beats sprigs of holly sticking up over the garden fence (Gilbert knows what I mean).

I'll have to see if Gilbert will let me sneak in and do some more sometime for the topic.

• Like 1

I think those birds must have been trained by the Red Arrows, judging by their ability to keep station.  Mallards in flight????

To be precise they are 60031 on the Hayling Billy (no wonder the bridge was US) having checked back to the sky photos I sent to Gilbert.

• RMweb Premium

To be precise they are 60031 on the Hayling Billy (no wonder the bridge was US) having checked back to the sky photos I sent to Gilbert.

Excellent - never seen one here.  Used to see them in the norf east though.

60031 on the Hayling bridge though - splash!

Loved your B17 photo Andy, nice bit of work.

• RMweb Premium

"sort of moody" - Paul the weatherman would love that sky and so do I. Great shot Gilbert. The birds are Crows by the way, not anything to do with me.Now, if anyone is having problems getting to sleep, (not now but late on, or on awaking at that awful 3a.m.) here is something to keep you amused.

Consider the A4s and rename the 33 non duck named ones after ducks (not including  Donald please.....) without reference to Google type cheating.

P

• RMweb Premium

I see that the 'Arrows' have time shifted (notice the closing worm hole slightly above and just to the left of the up platform roof) to avoid their pending abandonment by the Government :threaten: - nice one Fritters.

Re. the A4 Duck Class - one probably has to include continental types to complete the set I'm afraid, or further Waders are allowed; e.g. Avocet which I think is quite a good name.

An ambition of mine is to see Bittern (19) passing the Bittern colony at Potteric Carr.

Incidentally, re A11s, who the heck was the Laird of Balmawhapple?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2