RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

Hi folks,

I'm back into the loop after being shunted into a siding at Lincoln County for 8 days, I haven't even had time to properly email Gilbert, no doubt I'll be doing so during the early hours, I'm very much looking forward to returning to 'polite society' and part of my re-hab is catching up on this most wonderful of threads oh, how I've missed it, I've been slowly killed between two patients paying £30 a day for Hospital TV showing constant day time and reallity TV as  for Saturday night viweing!!!!!!!!!!!!   And they call us railway modellers sad! I am so proud to be back amongst friends.

Dave

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I'm back into the loop after being shunted into a siding at Lincoln County for 8 days, I haven't even had time to properly email Gilbert, no doubt I'll be doing so during the early hours, I'm very much looking forward to returning to 'polite society' and part of my re-hab is catching up on this most wonderful of threads oh, how I've missed it, I've been slowly killed between two patients paying £30 a day for Hospital TV showing constant day time and reallity TV as  for Saturday night viweing!!!!!!!!!!!!   And they call us railway modellers sad! I am so proud to be back amongst friends.

Dave

Never mind Dave, we will make sure you have plenty of layout planning and research to be getting on with next time you go back in. I look forward to reading your e-mail, but it won't be until well after sunrise. Oh, and it is great to have you back with us.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I thought it was due to wonky pipes!

P

Oh wise and perceptive water fowl. I was indeed somewhat annoyed with myself for making yet more silly errors, so I took myself off in a bit of a huff. A good night's sleep worked wonders though, and I shall now revert to laughing at myself again, and reminding myself that its only a hobby.

I've emailed Gilbert during my mind altering steroid induced sleepless night, why would anybody want to mess with drugs other than to improve health in the long term but even at 62 nearly 63 I'm still at a loss to understand as to why anybody wants permanent 'graffitti' impregnated onto their body?

As always I've no intention of hijacking Gilbert's thread but I know he'd tell you himself, the first chemo gave no side effects but secondary / existing infections are proving very troublesome and so actual modelling may be on temporary hold, I cannot even risk a visit to Peterborough North such is the risk. I have spent some hospital time sketching some scenic cameos and that usually develops into the real deal, my basic board confuguration is about there. Now I need to liaise with Gilbert via email on location, location etc and a host of those little gems of GN /LNER nuances he holds within that mind of his.

In the meantime I draw some of my modelling nourishment from Peterborough North.

Dave

P.S. I didn't so much woo the Lincoln nurses as kept them entertained with constant banter and jokes, all the staff deserve our support and gratitude and my aim in life has always been leave everybody with a smile. We get plenty on this thread so keep the 'serious lot' on the fringe.

• Like 16

Owing to repeated technical malfunctions, Great Northern has been temporarily withdrawn from service.

An interesting development. Of course, the risk in reading between the lines is that you can get it completely wrong......

Are you likely to surface at the Nottingham show this weekend? Somebody on Gamston Bank, or Thurston, or the EM stand may know my whereabouts.

• RMweb Premium

Well Dave, how wonderful to have you back in action and two for the price of one - Gilbert. It's a bit like your mates have not been allowed out to play!!!!!

Anyway, if I was the offending duck I apologise and if I wasn't then................

Dave, I'm told one of these pod things is great for plugging into and listening to and a pad thingy is great for keeping in touch with the 'outside world'. I'm told that some very clever ducks can control their train sets from a pad thingy but that seems ludicrous; I'd rather use it for RMweb (web is good because it reminds me of my feet you see).

Anyway, I do hope to see some track diagrams and G I hope the 'shot of the day' will return soon?

Just as a parting shot, I spent a very pleasant few hours today huddled up beside (note I say beside not inside) the Beckingham LC signal box; good old GN/GC Joint yellow brick.

Both signallers (morning and then afternoon shifts) were female. Is this a first to have consecutive female signallers?

Sadly the passing traffic was really boring - pity it wasn't 1953 instead of 2013! 

Quack 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An interesting development. Of course, the risk in reading between the lines is that you can get it completely wrong......

Are you likely to surface at the Nottingham show this weekend? Somebody on Gamston Bank, or Thurston, or the EM stand may know my whereabouts.

I'll be there on Sunday, Graeme, and I'll look out for you.

• Like 1

I'm going to try to get 'let out' on Sunday afternoon, but my hopes are low due to family being in residence. If I do make it through the tunnel I'll be looking forward to seeing you all. 

P

Don't forget to turn left at Steve McQueen's solitary cell or you'll end up surfacing in the latrines. Gilbert will be the shifty looking guy shuffling round the exhibition with trickles of golf bunker sand falling out the bottom of his trousers.

All at Staleg Lufft 13. (Baden Baden Ancaster)

Edited by tetleys
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget to turn left at Steve McQueen's solitary cell or you'll end up surfacing in the latrines. Gilbert will be the shifty looking guy shuffling round the exhibition with trickles of golf bunker sand falling out the bottom of his trousers.

All at Staleg Lufft 13. (Baden Baden Ancaster)

Many a true word is spoken, or in this case written in jest. The venue for the exhibition was to say the least interesting, as there were three different halls and two different levels. I felt like I should be unwinding the proverbial ball of twine behind me if I was ever to find my way out again. I reckon I didn't manage to find all the exhibits in the end, however hard I tried. " Shuffle" is about right, as I managed to do something seriously nasty to my back on Saturday, but I did have the opportunity to meet friends old and new off here, so it was a good day anyway. And, unbelievably, apart from the entrance fee, I spent nothing at all. I'm obviously not well. Still, look on the bright side, the wheels were still on the car when I got back to it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

".........the wheels were still on the car when I got back to it."

Gor blimey mate, you were lucky the car was still there being an 'ot 'atch an all!

Apologies for not making an escape; tunnel collapsed on way to the front door :read: and then I was shot when asked in English how I had enjoyed my stay...........and replied Quack.

Hope you all had a very good time xD

Pah!

• RMweb Premium

A quiet day at home. Time to run some trains, and, conscious of some muttering(and quacking) as to the recent dearth of photos, to get the camera out too. The 8.00am Newcastle - KX was due, and here it is, behind Grantham's A3 Persimmon. Some might say that's a funny name for a locomotive, but I like it.

post-98-0-50576500-1363624771_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-04988700-1363624825_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62715500-1363627848_thumb.jpg

Nice shot of a Gresley BSO for the rolling stock fans.

post-98-0-34803300-1363627938_thumb.jpg

Sorry, Irfan View has made a right mess of this one, but I like the effect of the nice new trees that arrived last week.

post-98-0-42965100-1363628084_thumb.jpg

And here are said trees in close up. Very nice indeed, but even worse than lattice post signals when it comes to photoshopping.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

'Persimmon' - a very homely name for a loco  :D .

I think the 2nd pic is excellent. It sort of puts you in the cab of another bogcart running in to the platform. 

Love the Gresley BO thanks and those trees are truly arborial. One of my species nest in ones like that (the real trees not actually these.......) :blackeye:

Thanks G.

Quack.

Many a true word is spoken, or in this case written in jest. The venue for the exhibition was to say the least interesting, as there were three different halls and two different levels. I felt like I should be unwinding the proverbial ball of twine behind me if I was ever to find my way out again. I reckon I didn't manage to find all the exhibits in the end, however hard I tried. " Shuffle" is about right, as I managed to do something seriously nasty to my back on Saturday, but I did have the opportunity to meet friends old and new off here, so it was a good day anyway. And, unbelievably, apart from the entrance fee, I spent nothing at all. I'm obviously not well. Still, look on the bright side, the wheels were still on the car when I got back to it.

Gilbert,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to 'The Dark Side' but maybe the villains are trying to tell you something, I recall a colleague who's 'Uphill Lincoln' house was burgled and he was acutely embarrassed by the fact he hadn't had a video to steal!

Now I'm going to salivate over the latest images of P.North.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Grantham's A3 Persimmon. Some might say that's a funny name for a locomotive, but I like it.

Won the 1896 Derby, as well as the Leger, Eclipse and Ascot Gold Cup. Some dobbin! Racehorse names come from all directions. I once heard Sir Peter O'Sullivan, while listing runners and riders on the Beeb, stop and say "What a thing to call a horse!"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, racehorse names made for rather strange loco names, "Pretty Polly", "Call Boy" & "Grand Parade" for example!

I wonder what modern racehorse name would be the most incongruous for a locomotive?

• Like 1

Persimmon - very evocative name for a golfer over the age of errrr well, a certain age, Gilbert.....!

Once again, some wonderful pictures of a superb model. I hope my own depiction of a different bit of London - Scotland mainline will be a fraction as good.

Thanks,

Iain

• Like 2

Race horse names on LNER locos may have been unusual but oh so much more interesting then some of the cliche names seen on other region's locos and modern image well! But wasn't a name so much more appreciated than a number, unless it was Wild Swan or Golden Fleece AGAIN!

Looking through the old Ian Allen's did actually more to educate some of us nippers than school, 'Gilbert and Ellis Islands' Sascatchawen, who cared, unless the name graced a loco then some knowledgeable nipper would explain and suddenly we were edumacated into the finer points of The Commonwealth.

Keep that camera busy Gilbert.

Dave

• Like 3

Golden Fleece a common loco get off with you :no: .You southertn boys were all spoilt, us poor Durham lads had to put up with Q6's J27's and Dub Dees all so dirty we couldnt take a number let alone see a name. But No 30 is my most favourite loco of all, thanks to Hornby Dublo,and the Talisman.

As to The Ducks puzzler I better ask Bob the builder

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Failing to get it I'm afraid - persimmon is a fruit, is it not, and our beaked friend must have been up a tree to eat one?  Haven't seen many ducks roosting in trees.... :no:  :scratchhead:

Simon's point might have given you a clue? "As to The Ducks puzzler I better ask Bob the builder".

On second thoughts - http://www.persimmonhomes.com/

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2