Peterborough North

great northern

I'm very pleased you've been able to find employment for them, Gilbert and you're right, pottering about in the flat knacker link is far more my level than all this galloping up and down in curiously named and shaped Pacifics.  I shall endeavour to make sure they are continuing to give satisfaction in person before too long.

WRT that cassette; the problem with high sided cassettes is that you can't get your fingers in to rerail stock, especially coaches.  Some sort of rerailing arrangement at the ends might be worth investigating.

• Like 2

WRT that cassette; the problem with high sided cassettes is that you can't get your fingers in to rerail stock, especially coaches.  Some sort of rerailing arrangement at the ends might be worth investigating.

I echo your thoughts on the re-railing aspect of Gilbert's cassettes but hopefully when he and I manage to get together at Ancaster 'Plant' as warmer weather arrives we can fine tune the design, I'm sure Gilbert won't mind me saying that like most modellers he has limited access to the sort of woodworking tools some of us take for granted. I have the necessary power tools and I'm sure between us we will put together a light weight and user friendly cassette without resorting to aluminium section which I suspect will be quite expensive.

Dave

• Like 1

I appreciate what you are saying Dave about the price of Aluminium section, but if anyone is after the said Aluminium section a good place to look is the website of this company "Aluminium Warehouse". I know several people who have used them and they have all been very pleased.

Regards ,Del.

• Like 2

I appreciate what you are saying Dave about the price of Aluminium section, but if anyone is after the said Aluminium section a good place to look is the website of this company "Aluminium Warehouse". I know several people who have used them and they have all been very pleased.

Regards ,Del.

Del,

I have no experience of cassettes in wood or aluminium although the latter is used on exhibition layouts and I maintain an open mind, perhaps Gilbert can research pricing and supply but I'm sure that whatever medium he chooses my workshop remains at his disposal, I have a good pillar drill and other useful tools and once the warmer weather arrives we can start production.

I'm just glad I'm Gilbert's mate and not his accountant, this post and we members seem to be conspiring against his bank account, if it's not another 'must have B17' it's another dozen coaches!

Dave

• Like 4

Del,

I have no experience of cassettes in wood or aluminium although the latter is used on exhibition layouts and I maintain an open mind, perhaps Gilbert can research pricing and supply but I'm sure that whatever medium he chooses my workshop remains at his disposal, I have a good pillar drill and other useful tools and once the warmer weather arrives we can start production.

I'm just glad I'm Gilbert's mate and not his accountant, this post and we members seem to be conspiring against his bank account, if it's not another 'must have B17' it's another dozen coaches!

Dave

Dave,

I can think of worse things to overload the bank account.   B 17 AND another dozen coaches ?   Is that all ?????

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Del,

Dave

Only cassettes I know of are made of plastic and carry a threaded spool of magnetic tape, and when you insert them into a 'Walkman' there eminates various noises some would associate with music; ah, those were the days...!!

Getting older by the day hour

David

• Like 2

Only cassettes I know of are made of plastic and carry a threaded spool of magnetic tape, and when you insert them into a 'Walkman' there eminates various noises some would associate with music; ah, those were the days...!!

Getting older by the day hour

David

I can see it now: the modelling kids of tomorrow scratching their heads, trying to find which volume Yeadons the C-90 is profiled in...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And now to cassettes, which merit a separate post. Thanks to all who have contributed views and advice first of all.. Tim also helped me set up the spur to which the cassettes will be attached, and fortunately it turned out to be a simple job. The gradient up to the level of the cassette is very gentle, and the concept worked perfectly.

My trial cassette, as I already knew, was not quite perfectly built, being slightly off square. I am utterly confident of my ability to build subsequent ones which aren't quite right either, but not at all confident of replicating the same fault each time, so I think I shall have to wait until I can take up Dave's offer of help before doing more. So, the whole thing is set up to accomodate properly built cassettes, which with Dave's expertise and equipment I'm sure we shall achieve.

I have one of those bright red plastic Hornby rerailing devices, which does work,  so what will happen is that the stock will be put into a cassette, and once there it will remain, except when decanted onto or off the layout. Experimentation shows that no derailments occur when lifting the cassettes on or off, so the inability to get fingers down the sides should not be a problem.. Each cassette will be tailor made for the stock it is to carry, the longest being 46 inches long. Even that length is neither heavy to lift nor unwieldy, and this method of construction does give me confidence that nothing is going to take an expensive tumble to the floor, so I think I will stick with this, rather than aluminium angle.

I shall also try hard to resist the temptation to acquire too much more stock, though Tim is already running a campaign for the Yorkshire Pullman. The amount of wood needed to make all the cassettes I've already decided I need will be expensive enough in itself, plus the track.......

• Like 3

I can see it now: the modelling kids of tomorrow scratching their heads, trying to find which volume Yeadons the C-90 is profiled in...

...must be a very obscure Victorian ex-GNSR 4-4-2 tank engine I've never heard of... :scratchhead:  

• Like 3

Hi Gilbert

Ref the cassettes and stock derailing while in transit, I have an article somewhere, which I can't find at present, wher the writer mentions he puts a strip of plasticard of the cotrrect back to back gauge down the "four foot" of the cassette and the wheels of the stock then just drop into the gap, a sort of automatic rerailer. if they do derail in transit just move the stock slightly from side to side and the wheel find the gap and rerail themselves.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My B17/6 is now a March engine, and in a condition of which Andy Rush may approve. Why the name plate, which was pin sharp on the photo, is now illegible after shopping I do not know. It says Huddersfield Town, if you can't read it. 

Click on the pic to enlarge to full size and the nameplate is superbly clear and crisp ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How peculiar! Can any of our camera experts tell me why that might be?

I am anything but expert, but when a picture is reduced in size some of the data has to be "lost" to make it smaller. In this case, the algorithm for doing so was obviously written by a supporter of a rival team!

• Like 4

Top hole Gilbert old chappy but I'm having a trouser problem here........ I mean bally Jerry may have pranged his kite right in the how's your father...... Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie sure, but I'm dashed if I swallow those septic Type 4's were as darned crappy as that in 1958 when the Whitehall gangsters were parashootink our dosh all over English Electric and Brush like a blasted rash!  Didn't blithering Caruthers at the BTC tell us those zing zang oil gobblers were a spiffing wheeze to keep clean...?   :dancing:

Not to be taken seriously..

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

I have to agree with Coachman that for 1958 the EE Type4 is far too dirty..........and dare I say the Gateshead A4 is too clean!

Great images as always and I particularly like your Huddersfield Town, top choice sir!

Regards,

Andy.