Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

and hope Mrs McStingy, the landlady, doesn't live up to her name.

She probably will Gilbert, based on my memories of those far off days.

Kind regards,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, great northern said:

I do like a J6, especially one that has come half way round the world to get here.

Glad to see it still earning it's keep.  Always brings a big smile to my face when it makes an appearance!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Glad to see it still earning it's keep.  Always brings a big smile to my face when it makes an appearance!

And to mine Tony, it upset me when it wasn't in service.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

FWIW I think the way you've captured the scene is really well composed. In particular the rather subdued colour palette is very effective. 

Thanks for sharing. Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, great northern said:

So here is what was behind the tender on a Saturday in July 1958.

6stock1.JPG.dd7c47ffedc08c20ba50c663817de722.JPG

7stock2.JPG.d438d3ce72132e5f928f6bba57aa69e7.JPG

9stock4.JPG.975c42b994264651514082900c77a13f.JPG

10stock5.JPG.5d81efc63225e7622129bcb78cba8c14.JPG

8 stock 3.JPG

That's seems a very unusual rake for an A4. I think I've seen something in a book that's similar. Would any available motive power and rolling stock be used os a Summer Saturday?

Slight digression. Have you bothered with the Thompson BG - hope you don't mind me asking.  I've looked through Robert Carol's Pdfs there didn't seem any include in a passenger rake except the Elizabethan but the solebars on those are deeper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, davidw said:

That's seems a very unusual rake for an A4. I think I've seen something in a book that's similar. Would any available motive power and rolling stock be used os a Summer Saturday?

Slight digression. Have you bothered with the Thompson BG - hope you don't mind me asking.  I've looked through Robert Carol's Pdfs there didn't seem any include in a passenger rake except the Elizabethan but the solebars on those are deeper.

When one looks at the article in the HMRS Journal, it becomes clear that this happened regularly, and not just on Saturdays. The 5.50 KX-Grantham had A3s on three days out of five, and the 6.40 two A3s, 60015 on the 9th July, and V2s on the other days. The 7.20 Down Peterborough had two A4s, 60010/15, and three A3s out of six days recorded. That was a steel five set, with a couple of added BGs. 60033 itself was on the 7pm Peterborough-KX on two consecutive days, 9th and 10th July. On 10th July the formation was PMV (southern) BCK TSOx2,BCK BG. These workings were commonplace, but I suspect rarely photographed. I suspect also that in almost every case either the previous or next working for the loco would have been on an express.

I do have some Thompson BGs, and again have learned from the survey that what the CWN says often differed from what actually appeared, so they do get used in passenger trains as well as in parcels.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, great northern said:

When one looks at the article in the HMRS Journal, it becomes clear that this happened regularly, and not just on Saturdays. The 5.50 KX-Grantham had A3s on three days out of five, and the 6.40 two A3s, 60015 on the 9th July, and V2s on the other days. The 7.20 Down Peterborough had two A4s, 60010/15, and three A3s out of six days recorded. That was a steel five set, with a couple of added BGs. 60033 itself was on the 7pm Peterborough-KX on two consecutive days, 9th and 10th July. On 10th July the formation was PMV (southern) BCK TSOx2,BCK BG. These workings were commonplace, but I suspect rarely photographed. I suspect also that in almost every case either the previous or next working for the loco would have been on an express.

I do have some Thompson BGs, and again have learned from the survey that what the CWN says often differed from what actually appeared, so they do get used in passenger trains as well as in parcels.

Thank you Gilbert.  I'd not considered the HMRS Journal. 

I've seen the Thompson BG but resisted temptation.  I can now justify to myself if not Ruth why need them.

• Like 1