Peterborough North

great northern

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

Computer has been playing silly games again, I wondered why I hadn't taken a photo of the B17 leaving, and now I have found out. Apparently the thing randomly decided that 9 came after 11, and put the image right at the end of the page, where I failed to notice it.

Because it can, for whatever reason...

Just as when I upload a series of numbered images to certain websites and then wish to place them in-line in the relevant parts of some text, always finding that whilst the others are all in proper numerical order, the one that should be first is relegated to the end of the list! And it isn't a simple case of the first image being carelessly numbered "1" when it ought to be "01", it happens regardless of where the number series starts.

• Friendly/supportive 7

I;ve been saving this photo for 1st April. I promise it's not a spoof or photoshopped, Gilbert. 60005 being cleaned at 52A! Who would have believed it?

img003.jpg.4e2e7db1f4ed55e7b2a5db20a4491b0a.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, rowanj said:

I;ve been saving this photo for 1st April. I promose it's not a spoof or photoshopped, Gilbert. 60005 being cleaned at 52A! Who would have believed it?

I could say it wasn't very clean before they started, but I won't. All generalisations are somewhat dodgy, and I'm sure that not all Gateshead engines were always filthy, but once there is a reputation it tends to stick. I have certainly read that when 52A got more through workings to KX the locos were generally well turned out.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I hear that you are selling up and Buying Lincoln City FC, ready for their Promotion to the Championship.

Congratulations dude, but will miss your layout and the jolly banter.

If you could spare a couple of those Tress I'm in.

A. Prilfool

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rowanj said:

I;ve been saving this photo for 1st April. I promise it's not a spoof or photoshopped, Gilbert. 60005 being cleaned at 52A! Who would have believed it?

Prep for a United run to the smoke for a Cup Final.

Only reason.

P

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Gilbert, I hear that you are selling up and Buying Lincoln City FC, ready for their Promotion to the Championship.

Congratulations dude, but will miss your layout and the jolly banter.

If you could spare a couple of those Tress I'm in.

A. Prilfool

Unfortunately my offer of £37 nine shillings and sixpence was not considered to be acceptable, so its all off.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, great northern said:

You may well be right. 1952 and 1955 they were there.

Come . come, chaps. AWS and double chimney mean the visits to Wembley were things of the past, and would be a long time before they returned, The date is March 1963, and it would be a United in red which held theCup aloft that year.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

You may well be right.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, rowanj said:

Come . come, chaps. AWS and double chimney mean the visits to Wembley were things of the past, and would be a long time before they returned, The date is March 1963, and it would be a United in red which held theCup aloft that year.

But 60005 was always a double chimney engine, wasn't it? I took that into account, but missed the AWS. Of course 1963 makes sense, as that would be why there was such a thick layer of grime to take off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

An IMPudent suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

On 31/03/2024 at 21:34, rowanj said:

Two cleaners balancing on the buffers with nothing to hold onto, and another precariously balanced on the running plate above the cylinder. The modern day Elf an Sayfdee ofificer would  be horrified at these clear breaches of the Work At Height Regulations, and would no doubt provide a proper trestle platform to stand on, with hand rails to prevent falls.

Still in the 1950’s the cleaners were still able to think for themselves and rely on common sense and care to stay safe ! 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Two cleaners balancing on the buffers with nothing to hold onto, and another precariously balanced on the running plate above the cylinder. The modern day Elf an Sayfdee ofificer would  be horrified at these clear breaches of the Work At Height Regulations, and would no doubt provide a proper trestle platform to stand on, with hand rails to prevent falls.

Still in the 1950’s the cleaners were still able to think for themselves and rely on common sense and care to stay safe ! 

And before the compensation culture had arrived. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Nowadays is that we think that someone shouldn't lose an arm or die on the job because of a preventable mistake.

Different times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

Nowadays is that we think that someone shouldn't lose an arm or die on the job because of a preventable mistake.

Different times.

Spot on. I tend to ask people, "How many of your children are you willing to sacrifice so their boss can make more money?"

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Spot on. I tend to ask people, "How many of your children are you willing to sacrifice so their boss can make more money?"

And that fits perfectly with something I have quoted before. Circa 1990, the man from Dupont was making his first visit to BRB. He walked into the Chairman's office with the words "Good morning Chairman - how many staff have you killed today?" Culture change did come about. If the pendulum seemed to sometimes swing too far, well that was to be expected. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And that fits perfectly with something I have quoted before. Circa 1990, the man from Dupont was making his first visit to BRB. He walked into the Chairman's office with the words "Good morning Chairman - how many staff have you killed today?" Culture change did come about. If the pendulum seemed to sometimes swing too far, well that was to be expected. 

That's the problem, I think. There is always over compensation before things settle down. It is very difficult to start from a low and to stop at just the right point.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4