Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

When we arrived, there he sat with his butter wouldn't melt expression, but denied any wrongdoing. He only had one bus, he said, which was in his pocket.

Only one bus but how many diesels?

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

This just popped up in my YouTube recommendations feed. Clearly intended as an advert for Hornby's new smoke-equipped P2, but for me the star of the show was a good look around PN on video!

Wot 20mph permanent speed restriction?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Clive may polish his halo, as I have discovered neither buses or diesels where they should not be. That's the good news.

However.....☹️  the sun shone, I went up to run trains and found that all the macros that Timara did on Wednesday are now empty. I tried to reprogramme some, and got all kinds of strange happenings. It seems likely that the new Power Pro is faulty. I am not sure what I have done to deserve this. TMC are sending me another one, as by great good fortune they have not sold out completely, and Timara is coming again on Tuesday to hopefully get things put right. It does mean though that there will almost certainly be a day or two when I have nothing to show you. If all else fails we can reinstate the old unit, and I will have to put up with the occasional glitch.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ollie K said:

This just popped up in my YouTube recommendations feed. Clearly intended as an advert for Hornby's new smoke-equipped P2, but for me the star of the show was a good look around PN on video!

Wot 20mph permanent speed restriction?

Good, innit?  As to the PSR, just one of the delightful oddities of PN. Severe dog's leg curves at both ends, so everything on the ECML had to slow to a crawl.

• Like 6

On 09/04/2024 at 08:19, great northern said:

Little light yesterday, but I opened all the blinds and hoped for the best. As soon as I did that a weak sun appeared, enough to make some parts very light, but also to make walls and corners very dark. I did my best.

Here is D11 Marne with the early stopper from Grimsby. Immingham had lots of B1s, but even so I bet it was hard pressed to find enough on a Saturday, given all the extras both on the E.Lincs and the old GC main line to Sheffield and Manchester. Marne was a Sheffield Darnall engine by this time, and has been borrowed during a lie over having arrived from there.

126701.JPG.a8e5224a068cc9b8102280c4cfedca16.JPG

I am having work done today which entails the unplugging of all my electrical stuff downstairs. I am assured all will be well when it is plugged back in again, but looking at the mass of wires involved I'm not entirely confident. If you don't hear from me for a while, you will know why.

In The Colour of Steam - East  Coast Mainline by Kieth Pirt there is a beautiful picture of62668 Jutland pressed into service on a Sunday morning in May 1959 on a Lincoln to Sheffield train.What makes it particularly interesting is that Jutland was just  out after winter storage at Darnal which I suppose is good enough to be a near- prototypical example for your excellent picture of Marne.

D11’s seem to have been pressed into service on football supporters excursions to Wadsley Bridge ( Hillsborough) when Sheffield Wednesday were at home on alternate Saturdays  in the late ‘50’s, I suppose it was more than plausible they would be seen on other trains in busy periods in the Summer season.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

In The Colour of Steam - East  Coast Mainline by Kieth Pirt there is a beautiful picture of62668 Jutland pressed into service on a Sunday morning in May 1959 on a Lincoln to Sheffield train.What makes it particularly interesting is that Jutland was just  out after winter storage at Darnal which I suppose is good enough to be a near- prototypical example for your excellent picture of Marne.

D11’s seem to have been pressed into service on football supporters excursions to Wadsley Bridge ( Hillsborough) when Sheffield Wednesday were at home on alternate Saturdays  in the late ‘50’s, I suppose it was more than plausible they would be seen on other trains in busy periods in the Summer season.

I visited Retford in 1958 soon after the D11s which had been stored at Trafford Park were dusted down and allocated to Darnall. We saw just about all of them that same day, plus some of the familiar ones. They were on Manchester- Cleethorpes and Sheffield- Cleethorpes duties. At the end of the summer timetable they disappeared, and we thought we'd seen the last of them. But in the summer of 59 nearly all of them were back at work on the same duties. That really was the last hurrah though.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Clive may polish his halo, as I have discovered neither buses or diesels where they should not be. That's the good news.

However.....☹️  the sun shone, I went up to run trains and found that all the macros that Timara did on Wednesday are now empty. I tried to reprogramme some, and got all kinds of strange happenings. It seems likely that the new Power Pro is faulty. I am not sure what I have done to deserve this. TMC are sending me another one, as by great good fortune they have not sold out completely, and Timara is coming again on Tuesday to hopefully get things put right. It does mean though that there will almost certainly be a day or two when I have nothing to show you. If all else fails we can reinstate the old unit, and I will have to put up with the occasional glitch.

This might be a really stupid comment (and I do not intend to cast nasturtiums on TMC) but before you/Timara set up the macros again, make sure that the command station has a nice new battery, that has had any protective film removed, in it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This might be a really stupid comment (and I do not intend to cast nasturtiums on TMC) but before you/Timara set up the macros again, make sure that the command station has a nice new battery, that has had any protective film removed, in it.

I hadn't thought of that one John, but I had considered a faulty EPROM, as memory seems to be the problem. I doubt TMC will have looked inside the unit, so it will be a manufacturer error, if there is one. My lawyering memory tells me not to touch anything as it might invalidate the warranty. There is a replacement on the way, and I will be sending this one back as it arrived, which I think is the best course of action.

I do not want to think about the new one giving the same problem, which may mean a gremlin somewhere else in the system, though I really can't think what that might be.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, great northern said:

I hadn't thought of that one John, but I had considered a faulty EPROM, as memory seems to be the problem. I doubt TMC will have looked inside the unit, so it will be a manufacturer error, if there is one. My lawyering memory tells me not to touch anything as it might invalidate the warranty. There is a replacement on the way, and I will be sending this one back as it arrived, which I think is the best course of action.

I do not want to think about the new one giving the same problem, which may mean a gremlin somewhere else in the system, though I really can't think what that might be.

The Power Pro relies on the battery to sustain the memory when mains power is absent. If it had been on the shelf a while the battery might have gone flat.

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert you wouldn't have these problems if you were to use good old fashioned Luddite DC.

You would catch me operating a layout with the extra "C"

image.png.1230fd8b509333607fda9e6086d1e872.png

I haven't forgotten your problems with the written word Clive, but I can't resist pointing out that you have actually said that you "would catch me operating a layout with the extra C". That's good, because it may mean that you are beginning to see the light.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The Power Pro relies on the battery to sustain the memory when mains power is absent. If it had been on the shelf a while the battery might have gone flat.

Thanks John, I hadn't thought of that either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

I haven't forgotten your problems with the written word Clive, but I can't resist pointing out that you have actually said that you "would catch me operating a layout with the extra C". That's good, because it may mean that you are beginning to see the light.

Look at the surprise on Hugo's boat race.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Look at the surprise on Hugo's boat race.

From what you have told us about Hugo, I would think it would be "Is it edible", followed by "Can I reach it before he can stop me".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

From what you have told us about Hugo, I would think it would be "Is it edible", followed by "Can I reach it before he can stop me".

Having met said hound, I think that he probably wouldn't worry whether it was edible or not...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

A bit of rubbish and clutter, at least?

Well, once you've got your busses on bridges sorted, the next step is traditionally The Cameo Scene incorporating a bunch of emergency vehicles with flashing lights😉

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

52 minutes ago, great northern said:

A look down the forecourt to Station Road and the bridge.

8plonk8.JPG.9bbffe565dd04a75c7bd4a82e780e3fd.JPG

Quite effective, but I may have to do something about the unbroken  expanse of grey in the foreground. A bit of rubbish and clutter, at least?

Hi,

I agree.  Also needs some subtle weathering and I would also paint the footpath kerb, the ones I've seen are always a different colour to the path and road being made from a type of concrete.

Roja

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

'Quite effective, but I may have to do something about the unbroken  expanse of grey in the foreground. A bit of rubbish and clutter, at least?'

What about kerbside drains and 'man holes' in the road?

Syd

• Agree 7