Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Haven't done a full count, as S15 has clearly won by a street.

I don't know enough about other southern companies to make more suggestions for those, so will return to safer ground. How about Mr Fowler of the Midland. Beg his pardon, Sir Henry. Did he manage to come up with any successful designs?  I know there were some which weren't.

Well, they had a troubled birth but I'd like to nominate the Royal Scots in original form. You could argue they weren't Fowler's design at all as the whole job was given to the North British Co. in a bit of a rush but they were under his tenure and therefore carry his name.

Once the inevitable teething problems were sorted out they did make an impact and signalled a change from the 'small engine' policy. By the early 1930s they were very definitely the LMS 'pin up' loco and were putting in prodigious performances on the heavy WCML trains. Their subsequent rebuilding made them even better ... but that's another story.

• Like 3

Re: Sir Henry. As it happens I've just been re-reading E S Cox's 'Locomotive Panorama' - so not sure if Sir Henry actually had much to do with the design of any locomotives!

However, the best (and most forward looking) designed under his leadership would surely have to be the 2-6-4 tank locomotive.

I think the Royal Scot did contain some elements of the valve gear design from them as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Sir Henry Fowler had, I suspect, a difficult task. Convincing all those ex Midland types that dominated the LMS that perhaps double heading with lots of small loco's was not a good idea for the future. Oddly, the same thing seemed to happen when LMS men dominated British Railways somewhat limiting BR Standard designs.

I nominate the Fowler 2-6-4 tanks as a good design that did its job well and was the prototype for all those Stainer and Fairburn tanks that followed.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS I rather like the original Patriots too.

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PPS

I have always been surprised by the tendency for railway engineers and their loco works to retain a "loyalty" to their works at the expense of limiting good practice. This seemed to have survived the grouping and the formation of BR in my experience.

I remember back in the 1980's when HST Power Car bogie repairs were transferred from Derby Loco Works to Crewe Works. One of my tasks was to ensure that repair practices were transferred to maintain fleet availability. Whilst I understood the reluctance of Derby to help Crewe that had "stolen their work" at a time of great uncertainty, the terms used were interesting, stating that they would not help "those North Western b......s at Crewe" with the retort that those "Midland...... you get the idea I'm sure!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Absolutely!

It's one of the main reasons why I'm such a fan of Mr Stanier. Aside from the classic loco types that bore his name, he seemed to be able to manage the 'people politics' and successfully restored the balance of power between Derby and Crewe such that everybody was (generally) pulling in the same direction.

As a wise old sage once said to me when I first started work: 'it's all about people'. Never a truer word spoken.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah Sir Henry's locos, quite a list being as many were designed by others all he done was tinkered with them , if he done that.

We have the class 4 tank, wonderful design

We have the Royal Scots....Ummmm?

We have the rebuilt Claughtons Patriots often over looked by their big brothers the Scots

We have the Jcoko, know these days as the Jinty

We have the Superheated Large Goods, the 4F, much maligned but for a useless design they were one of the last remaining classes of 0-6-0 loco

We have the very economic Superheated class 2 passenger 4-4-0, the 483 class and its LMS companion  the 2P

The best class he had a hand in was the Belpaire boilered class 3 goods engines, reliable and handsome at the same time.

My vote today goes to the 3F.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You called

image.png.e32c2406c852558720860fd4c08822ad.png

Also ver nice - but I can't imagine it winning the St Leger in 1904

Helluva nag was old Pretty Polly, winning 22 of her 24 races then going on to found the classic winning Pretty Polly family as a broodmare. (according to Wikipedia)

Not that I'm particularly into horse-racing in any way - just interested to find out about these things in case I ever end up as a contestant on 'The Chase'.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yer need to get out more Clive. Ever thought of taking up golf?

Tried it as a teenager, not sure if the instructor was crying with laughter or out of sheer desperation. I was that good I might hit the ball every other swing and even sometimes make it go in the right direction for more than six inches.

The climax of my sporting ability came during a discus throwing lesson. We were being taught how to throw by spinning around. Well my turn came up, how I didn't kill any of my classmates as this ancient weapon whizzed towards them at head height was a miracle. To which our PE teacher asked were all my family as good at sports as me. I couldn't lie so I said " Yes Sir, both my dad's brothers are PE teachers."

It was a bit of a lie, both were qualified PE teachers but I think John was coaching at Southampton Football Club at the time. Charlie later on received an MBE for his work with youth football. My grandfather was a good sportsman, he received many medals for football and running when he was in the RAF. My brother and my youngest are also good at football and many other sports. Sadly it seems the eldest in each generation is not so gifted, my dad , me and my eldest seem to have a non functioning Mortimore sports gene.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yer need to get out more Clive. Ever thought of taking up golf?

But he would immediately chop up all his clubs, and put them back together in a different order. I suppose the good thing would be that they wouldn't need painting.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The 2-6-4T for me please, a superb design, from which they learned....not as much as they should have done.

Did you know one was green?  One odd photo in the back of the Hunt, Essery & James LMS Loco Profile.

Who would be that cruel to a Derby locomotive to paint it green?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Weren't they green before they were Lake?

Ah but that was a Midland green, not a GNR/NER/LNER apple green or BR diesel green, which BR applied to many steam engines before they had many diesels. :scratchhead:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Anyone spotted this, I am fourth most poster on this thread.......whoops now joint third. :blush:

petebro.jpg.f2d8dbea12aa64ce4a322f98e78839ee.jpg

I'm surprised to find that I was third, not that it matters in the least.

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Tried it as a teenager, not sure if the instructor was crying with laughter or out of sheer desperation. I was that good I might hit the ball every other swing and even sometimes make it go in the right direction for more than six inches.

I've played precisely two rounds of golf in my life. The first was just after we moved to Edinburgh, when my brother and I tried it out. He loved it, I didn't. He still plays at a good standard, regularly winning club competitions.

The second time was a work golf day. There was a spot prize for the highest score at two holes - which two was not known to the players. I won easily, as I had the highest score at all 18.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1