Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

There’s a lot to choose from here. I love his pacific tanks, the N9 and N10 were great stalwarts like the N8 I nominated for yesterday’s poll, the G5 also put in stirling service over 60+ years, the J72 was still being built in BR days but my vote must go to the J27, still active until the last dregs of steam. 

Yes, indeed, a rather more comprehensive list to choose from this time round.

I'm going to choose the 'R' class 4-4-0, which became the D20.

A pretty decent loco by all accounts and lasted well into BR days. Even better, they ran on the Wensleydale route and into Garsdale until 1954 so I can have one on the layout. Even better still - I've already got one! Albeit in LNER livery so needs a makeover but, together with a G5, will be a rather nice ex-NER/LNER counterpoint to the LMR stuff.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, indeed, a rather more comprehensive list to choose from this time round.

I'm going to choose the 'R' class 4-4-0, which became the D20.

A pretty decent loco by all accounts and lasted well into BR days. Even better, they ran on the Wensleydale route and into Garsdale until 1954 so I can have one on the layout. Even better still - I've already got one! Albeit in LNER livery so needs a makeover but, together with a G5, will be a rather nice ex-NER/LNER counterpoint to the LMR stuff.

Mmm... to quote Sidney Weighell, talking about the Wensleydale branch, "Those D20s were terrible locos, really bad riders. They used to roll about."  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Today's vote goes to the P3 class (J27). in a book I have a lovely photo of one shunting MGR hopper wagons, now that is true "Modern Image".

That was the 'test train', I like to get that out when folk moan about steam hauling modern stock!  IIRC it was only the once.

So having had my first attempt at J27's cried as foul, I'll try again! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

That was the 'test train', I like to get that out when folk moan about steam hauling modern stock!  IIRC it was only the once.

So having had my first attempt at J27's cried as foul, I'll try again! :rolleyes:

And today it wil be allowed, and I have allocated you a virtual gold star. Keep quiet about it though, or they'll all be wanting one.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hi Neil

No idea.  Without digging the book out I couldn't tell you but from memory it was shunting a couple of MGR hoppers not trying to impersonate a Brush 4.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Neil

No idea.  Without digging the book out I couldn't tell you but from memory it was shunting a couple of MGR hoppers not trying to impersonate a Brush 4.

The photo I have 'somewhere' - I wouldn't be able to post it due to copyright) it is a full rake.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The photo I have 'somewhere' - I wouldn't be able to post it due to copyright) it is a full rake.

Hi Neil

One day I would like to see it, please. That sounds proper "Modern Image" at its best.