Peterborough North

great northern

Thinking about what I would actually buy then 2,5,6 for me (as others have said - to the correct profile)

I would be interested in the 66ft sleepers 1st and 3rd class.

Also the pre grouping types mentioned (GNR, NER, ECJS) would be of interest. They are similar, but different, to the LNER types and would really help to capture the look of a 1930s train.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello manna

I'm sorry to say that you have chosen four Gresley types, whereas the maximum is three  (as per the introduction announcement). Please feel free to vote again as I have not recorded your wishes here.

Thanks.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, we came back from Aberdeen, but it was dark, so of course we couldn't see anything. Then we decided that had been a bit of a long way to go, so today we are meeting up in Settle, and having a trip to Carlisle. Wondrous sights all around, but which is the best on that journey? You are in an open coach today, and so can look on either side.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought from a duffer who knows nowt about Sleepers. If enough folk are interested to make it viable, why not ask Andrew (Wizard) if he would get the side etches done?

To save on costs, someone clever could do the CADs for (say) the cost of a few of the sides? I have no idea if a chassis is already available but that might be included?

The parts for the UF fittings, Roof, Ends etc must already be available from Comet/MJT, or capable of being scratched by modellers that want these? 

I am uncertain how many actual coaches would be required to be sold to cover the initial costs of just the sides, which must be relatively simple compared to loads of doors and windows? As I said, I don't know these coaches at all.

Worth a thought after reading comments here?

As for the Settle Route, that's a tough one.  Personally I loved the approach to Blea Moor Tunnel from Ribblehead on that long curve and rising cuttings, and that lonely Signal Box on the South approach.

As that is two I think that Ribblehead Viaduct and the Tunnel is allowed as one could have one from each side or two from one side? If not, The Viaduct with associated views.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The view to the right of the train at Ribblehead viaduct, looking at Blea Moor.

Also memorable, because on one steam charter in the 1980’s, one of my friends decided to take a photo of our locomotive, out of the window as we crossed the viaduct.  His Flat Cap flew off, out onto the moor!

Paul

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

I've only travelled on the S&C once and that was 4 years ago almost to the day, behind Scots Guardsmen southbound.

I must say I was quite excited looking out the left hand side as we came onto Ribblehead viaduct, traversed it and then headed for the tunnel.

So that's it for me. If that's a bit too longer section I'm happy to go with just the view from the train coming onto the  viaduct.

Andrew

Oops I was confused the tunnel is before the viaduct heading south. Shows I'm not a student of the Midland!

Edited by Woodcock29
Edit statement
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The inside of Blea Moor Tunnel. :protest:

Clive,

Are you reminiscing again about military manoeuvres with the opposite sex? And did you use of the natural shower about a third of the way in from the south end of the tunnel?

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

Are you reminiscing again about military manoeuvres with the opposite sex? And did you use of the natural shower about a third of the way in from the south end of the tunnel?

Paul

Hi Paul

No.

Now many waffle on about the beauty and the grandeur of the S&C line when in reality it is bleak and desolate so when in the tunnel one is not exposed to the miles and miles of waste land. :protest:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

No.

Now many waffle on about the beauty and the grandeur of the S&C line when in reality it is bleak and desolate so when in the tunnel one is not exposed to the miles and miles of waste land. :protest:

That explains why you live on the Lincolnshire Salt Marsh!

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Northroader said:

The view west down the valley from Dent Head Viaduct.

I'd have to agree with that, although there are - of course - many MANY fabulous sights to be seen from a railway carriage on this wonderful railway.

Best going north, I think. After crossing Ribblehead, surrounded by those bleak, limestone outcrops and the mile-and-a-half passage through the tunnel, suddenly you burst out into an almost different world, a lush, verdant valley by comparison. And not twisting, winding following the river, but sailing imperiously high above it, brilliantly following the 1150ft contour line across those twin viaducts.

Done the walk over the top from Dent back to Ribblehead a few times over the years. A great railway walk, with a welcome pint at the legendary Station Inn to finish with.

(have I ever mentioned that I quite like this part of the world?)

24 Dent walk 04.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

16 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

That explains why you live on the Lincolnshire Salt Marsh!

And the best place for him, after making remarks like that ...

Rannoch moor. Now that IS desolate

But not my (and many others') beloved S&C. It is a simply MAGNIFICENT railway. Miles of drystone walls and some hardy flocks of sheep don't make it 'desolate'; they just give the area its distinctive character.

I never was much of a 'city boy' ...

DSC03733 (mob)_LR.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 1