Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I know the area but slightly. I have walked up Pen Y Ghent twice, Ingleborough once, Whernside not at all. I have traversed the line twice, I think, the first in 1967 on the Thames-Clyde Express, then about 25 years later on a DMU. 

Ribblehead Viaduct and its setting are unmatched, at least in England. 

• Like 3

On 17/05/2021 at 07:56, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

Hello everyone

Welcome to the first of this series of seven Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North. I am running them on behalf of Gilbert.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may choose a maximum of three Gresley items and two Thompson.

2. You cannot ‘transfer votes’ to have five Gresley and no Thompson etc. although you can vote for just Gresley or just Thompson.

3. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR.

4. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

5. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting!

1.   Gresley GE section Stock 52ft 6in (eg Diags.9, 141, 146, 216 of 1926-1936)

2.   Gresley General Service Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.1, 114, 115, 130, 174, 175 of 1920s-1939)

3.   Gresley ‘End Door’ Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.155, 211, 212, of 1932 & 1936)

4.   Gresley Sleeping Cars 61ft 6in (eg Diags.17, 20, 109 of 1924 & 1929)

5.   Gresley Tourist Green & Cream Stock (eg 61ft 6in BTO & Buffet, 52ft Artic Twin TO of 1933)

6.   Gresley Tourist Teak Stock (eg 61ft 6in Diag.186 TO & Diags.191/196 BTO of 1934 & 1935)

7.   Gresley Streamlined Stock (of 1935 & 1937) inc Beaver Tail Observation Cars (as built and rebuilt)

8.   Thompson Pressure Ventilated Stock (eg Diags.328, 329, 346, 348, 349, 351, 352, 353 of 1947)

9.   Thompson Round Corner Window Stock (eg Diags.328, 330, 345, 346 of c.1948)

10. Thompson Sleeping Cars 66ft 6in (eg Diags. 347, 359, 368, 369 of 1947-1952)

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 20 May. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 21 May.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

3,5,7,8&9 for me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought there might be more interest in this poll. Surely we have all seen photos, videos etc of this wonderful railway? Never mind, Ribblehead viaduct and surroundings were most mentioned, and therefore won.

So now we are in Carlisle, and have to decide where to go from there. We also have to go back in time, as we are going to Edinburgh via the Waverley route. I never had the good fortune to visit it, but I've seen enough pictures etc to know what I'd be looking out for.

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - 00 Mini-Poll No:1 Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

Hello everyone

Just a reminder that the Polling Station will be closing at 17.00 tomorrow, Thursday 20 May and the results will be published on Friday 21 May.

Brian

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I thought there might be more interest in this poll. Surely we have all seen photos, videos etc of this wonderful railway? Never mind, Ribblehead viaduct and surroundings were most mentioned, and therefore won.

So now we are in Carlisle, and have to decide where to go from there. We also have to go back in time, as we are going to Edinburgh via the Waverley route. I never had the good fortune to visit it, but I've seen enough pictures etc to know what I'd be looking out for.

Maybe too much choice on the S & C Route G? Or it is off the radar for all those Southerners who rarely venture north of Watford?

Re the Waverley... Riccarton Junction  is the only place I can think of.

• Like 2

Shankend is indeed a lovely spot. However, the incredible location that is Riccarton Junction is forever etched in my soul after walking along the trackbed from Steele Road there in the summer of 1983. What an amazing place it must have been, with its entirely rail dependent community and Co-op store on the station platform. I look forward to creating my homage to it in 4mm scale in a few years time.

• Like 4

Thinking about the coaches poll, whilst I have the Harris books, I cannot get too excited about the differences between one gangwayed teak coach and another, as long as I can run 8 or 9 coaches round my layout behind an apple green A3 (I do have a triplet dining set). To my mind, amongst the most iconic of coaches and the biggest RTR gap are the streamlined Silver Jubilee/Coronation/West Riding sets to go with the various A4s. 

Wonderful style and unique liveries and they lived on in more general use in BR days.  The recent restoration of a beavertail observation coach has added to their profile and, as suggested elsewhere, Locomotion could market a record-breaking set of Mallard, Coronation coaches and the dynamometer car. 

So my nomination is 7, 2, and 3.

Pretty please?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

I thought about it but decided it was all outstanding and didn't want to choose one bit over another!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Voting in 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1 closes at 17.00 today.

Hello everyone

Just a little advance notice that the Polling Station closes at 17.00 today.

I have to have an eye test this afternoon - involving eye drops that will blur my vision - so I will not be able to answer queries or sort out 'spoilt voting slips' after about 14.00. I will be collating the results for you in the morning.

Many thanks

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The Waverley route, choices choices.....

Well as I am far too young and I believe it closed before I was aware it ever existed, I never traveled on it. I have however stood on the starting point and the finishing line. So do I nominate Edinburgh Waverley station or Carlisle Citadel station as these locations are the nearest I have got to the Waverley route. 

Heads Edinburgh, tails  Carlisle.

Well the Scottish rampant lion is facing upwards on my 2p so today I nominate Carlisle Station.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Falahill

880 feet above sea level

Great seeing and hearing the J36s on banking duties from Hardengreen

Junction. It was quite a climb and also in the opposite direction from Gala for the northbound trains.

• RMweb Gold

Results - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 23 voters who took part. The number of votes per item is shown in the left hand column.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community. I might be able to show you more on that another day, so I have split them up as High, Middle and Low Polling to be in context with 00 Wishlist Polls of the past.

I have appended a full set of comments received - in order of receipt but slightly edited for consistency. You will have already read these, but I felt it useful to have them all in one place in context with the results.

You will be able to vote for Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets on Monday.

High Polling

20        Gresley General Service Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.1, 114, 115, 130, 174, 175 of 1920s-1939)

17        Gresley ‘End Door’ Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.155, 211, 212, of 1932 & 1936)

14        Thompson Round Corner Window Stock (eg Diags.328, 330, 345, 346 of c.1948)

Middle Polling

8          Gresley GE section Stock 52ft 6in (eg Diags.9, 141, 146, 216 of 1926-1936)

7          Gresley Streamlined Stock (of 1935 & 1937) inc Beaver Tail Observation Cars (as built and rebuilt)

5          Gresley Tourist Green & Cream Stock (eg 61ft 6in BTO & Buffet, 52ft Artic Twin TO of 1933)

Low Polling

4          Gresley Tourist Teak Stock (eg 61ft 6in Diag.186 TO & Diags.191/196 BTO of 1934 & 1935)

4          Thompson Pressure Ventilated Stock (eg Diags.328, 329, 346, 348, 349, 351, 352, 353 of 1947)

2          Gresley Sleeping Cars 61ft 6in (eg Diags.17, 20, 109 of 1924 & 1929)

2          Thompson Sleeping Cars 66ft 6in (eg Diags. 347, 359, 368, 369 of 1947-1952)

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

Comments Received:

1. I believe the GE Section 52ft 6in Stock is vital to go with the wide range of GER/LNER locos now available. They travelled far and wide and are clearly 'distinctive' with the shorter length. The existing range of Gresley 61ft 6in General Service Stock could be enhanced by Hornby - bearing in mind that some (many?) feel the profile is wrong on the current models. Plenty of scope there! And the same goes for the End Door Stock - vital for ECML services. I have only voted for Thompson Round Corner Window Stock - again, a vital component of trains passing through Peterborough North. I haven't voted for either of the Sleepers. I can't see a lot of market for such stock with all its complexities.

2. We need improved profile Gresley General Service Stock and I think the Teak Open Tourist Stock would also be helpful for holiday traffic to the East Coast in later periods. A Coronation set would be useful and could be badged as Coronation, West Riding and unbadged, plus some would suit the BR period.

3. My views on the current Hornby Gresleys are well known, and the absence of a correct model of the Diag.115 Seconds, as they were in 1958, is the biggest problem on PN. They were, after all, the most numerous of all Gresley designs. End Door Stock, particularly Diag.155, was also very common, as were the Round Corner Window Thompsons. The GE Stock is very nice, and did get around away from the GE section, but not as essential as the other three.

4. As I am trying to show the full daytime sequence of trains in the summer of 1958, at least some of the sleeping car trains are highly desirable. I take Brian's point as to whether they would be commercially viable. I do wonder why the 66ft 6ins Gresley sleepers are not included. I find them to be most impressive, and they would be on my list if I could vote for them.

5. My plea with respect to the current Thompson coaches is please can we have maroon versions! Square windowed versions did exist in maroon.

6. For myself, it’s 2, 3, 5, 8, and 9. It’s time we had some very accurate RTR models of all these carriages. The Hornby models are simply not good enough and need replacing. So a good mix of Gresley all door corridor stock as well as End Door Stock would be so welcome along with the Green & Cream Tourist Stock. The Round Corner Window Thompson Stock is a glaring omission which needs to be plugged, along with the Pressure Ventilated Stock. 

7. GE Section Stock much needed and well-travelled. Something different as well. Full Gresley Streamline Stock would look stunning. Thompson Round Corner Window Stock, like others have mentioned, provides additional variation. 

8. I’d also go for 66ft Gresley Sleepers if they’re allowed.

9. I come at this from a somewhat different angle. I'm actually a BR (LMR) 1950s modeller and what comes across in study of photographs is how much the Gresley coaches in particular wandered around the regions, particularly as the decade wore on and into the 1960s as the former LNER front line stock was displaced by the mass influx of Mk1s from the mid-1950s onwards. Many an LMR secondary rake in the maroon era had a Gresley vehicle or two in there, brake vehicles in particular. My interest therefore is to purchase such vehicles RTR for this type of use so it's worth thinking far beyond the borders of 'just' the ECML(!) A couple of low-res (copyright) pics to illustrate the point (the second is from the famous 26.9.64 Duchess 46256 farewell railtour, which ironically saw a Gresley 6-compartment BSK as the vehicle next to the locomotive). (Photos deleted by Brian.)

10. One thought here - we talk 'Gresley stock’. I think one statistic of interest is that at the outbreak of WWII approx 50% of front line passenger stock at that date was still ex-GNR Gresley stock - similar, but different. Some of that stock lasted certainly until early 1950s Blood & Custard era. Yes, a bewildering array of Gresley GNR types but I'm sure there would be one or two of the more archetypal BTK or TK diagrams worthy of consideration for an enterprising manufacturer to add variety? To 90% of purchasers, it would still just be a 'Gresley coach'.

11. I would be interested in the 66ft Sleepers, 1st and 3rd Class. Also the pre-grouping types mentioned (GNR, NER, ECJS) would be of interest. They are similar, but different, to the LNER types and would really help to capture the look of a 1930s train.

12. Just a thought from a duffer who knows nowt about Sleepers. If enough folk are interested to make it viable, why not ask Andrew (Wizard) if he would get the side etches done?

13. Thinking about the coaches poll, whilst I have the Harris books, I cannot get too excited about the differences between one gangwayed teak coach and another, as long as I can run 8 or 9 coaches round my layout behind an Apple Green A3 (I do have a Triplet Dining Set). 

14. To my mind, amongst the most iconic of coaches and the biggest RTR gap are the streamlined Silver Jubilee/Coronation/West Riding sets to go with the various A4s. Wonderful style and unique liveries and they lived on in more general use in BR days. The recent restoration of a Beavertail Observation Coach has added to their profile and, as suggested elsewhere, Locomotion could market a record-breaking set of Mallard, Coronation coaches and the Dynamometer Car. 

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Results - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 23 voters who took part. The number of votes per item is shown in the left hand column.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community. I might be able to show you more on that another day, so I have split them up as High, Middle and Low Polling to be in context with 00 Wishlist Polls of the past.

I have appended a full set of comments received - in order of receipt but slightly edited for consistency. You will have already read these, but I felt it useful to have them all in one place in context with the results.

You will be able to vote for Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets on Monday.

High Polling

20        Gresley General Service Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.1, 114, 115, 130, 174, 175 of 1920s-1939)

17        Gresley ‘End Door’ Stock 61ft 6in (eg Diags.155, 211, 212, of 1932 & 1936)

14        Thompson Round Corner Window Stock (eg Diags.328, 330, 345, 346 of c.1948)

Middle Polling

8          Gresley GE section Stock 52ft 6in (eg Diags.9, 141, 146, 216 of 1926-1936)

7          Gresley Streamlined Stock (of 1935 & 1937) inc Beaver Tail Observation Cars (as built and rebuilt)

5          Gresley Tourist Green & Cream Stock (eg 61ft 6in BTO & Buffet, 52ft Artic Twin TO of 1933)

Low Polling

4          Gresley Tourist Teak Stock (eg 61ft 6in Diag.186 TO & Diags.191/196 BTO of 1934 & 1935)

4          Thompson Pressure Ventilated Stock (eg Diags.328, 329, 346, 348, 349, 351, 352, 353 of 1947)

2          Gresley Sleeping Cars 61ft 6in (eg Diags.17, 20, 109 of 1924 & 1929)

2          Thompson Sleeping Cars 66ft 6in (eg Diags. 347, 359, 368, 369 of 1947-1952)

Brian

Comments Received:

1. I believe the GE Section 52ft 6in Stock is vital to go with the wide range of GER/LNER locos now available. They travelled far and wide and are clearly 'distinctive' with the shorter length. The existing range of Gresley 61ft 6in General Service Stock could be enhanced by Hornby - bearing in mind that some (many?) feel the profile is wrong on the current models. Plenty of scope there! And the same goes for the End Door Stock - vital for ECML services. I have only voted for Thompson Round Corner Window Stock - again, a vital component of trains passing through Peterborough North. I haven't voted for either of the Sleepers. I can't see a lot of market for such stock with all its complexities.

2. We need improved profile Gresley General Service Stock and I think the Teak Open Tourist Stock would also be helpful for holiday traffic to the East Coast in later periods. A Coronation set would be useful and could be badged as Coronation, West Riding and unbadged, plus some would suit the BR period.

3. My views on the current Hornby Gresleys are well known, and the absence of a correct model of the Diag.115 Seconds, as they were in 1958, is the biggest problem on PN. They were, after all, the most numerous of all Gresley designs. End Door Stock, particularly Diag.155, was also very common, as were the Round Corner Window Thompsons. The GE Stock is very nice, and did get around away from the GE section, but not as essential as the other three.

4. As I am trying to show the full daytime sequence of trains in the summer of 1958, at least some of the sleeping car trains are highly desirable. I take Brian's point as to whether they would be commercially viable. I do wonder why the 66ft 6ins Gresley sleepers are not included. I find them to be most impressive, and they would be on my list if I could vote for them.

5. My plea with respect to the current Thompson coaches is please can we have maroon versions! Square windowed versions did exist in maroon.

6. For myself, it’s 2, 3, 5, 8, and 9. It’s time we had some very accurate RTR models of all these carriages. The Hornby models are simply not good enough and need replacing. So a good mix of Gresley all door corridor stock as well as End Door Stock would be so welcome along with the Green & Cream Tourist Stock. The Round Corner Window Thompson Stock is a glaring omission which needs to be plugged, along with the Pressure Ventilated Stock. 

7. GE Section Stock much needed and well-travelled. Something different as well. Full Gresley Streamline Stock would look stunning. Thompson Round Corner Window Stock, like others have mentioned, provides additional variation. 

8. I’d also go for 66ft Gresley Sleepers if they’re allowed.

9. I come at this from a somewhat different angle. I'm actually a BR (LMR) 1950s modeller and what comes across in study of photographs is how much the Gresley coaches in particular wandered around the regions, particularly as the decade wore on and into the 1960s as the former LNER front line stock was displaced by the mass influx of Mk1s from the mid-1950s onwards. Many an LMR secondary rake in the maroon era had a Gresley vehicle or two in there, brake vehicles in particular. My interest therefore is to purchase such vehicles RTR for this type of use so it's worth thinking far beyond the borders of 'just' the ECML(!) A couple of low-res (copyright) pics to illustrate the point (the second is from the famous 26.9.64 Duchess 46256 farewell railtour, which ironically saw a Gresley 6-compartment BSK as the vehicle next to the locomotive). (Photos deleted by Brian.)

10. One thought here - we talk 'Gresley stock’. I think one statistic of interest is that at the outbreak of WWII approx 50% of front line passenger stock at that date was still ex-GNR Gresley stock - similar, but different. Some of that stock lasted certainly until early 1950s Blood & Custard era. Yes, a bewildering array of Gresley GNR types but I'm sure there would be one or two of the more archetypal BTK or TK diagrams worthy of consideration for an enterprising manufacturer to add variety? To 90% of purchasers, it would still just be a 'Gresley coach'.

11. I would be interested in the 66ft Sleepers, 1st and 3rd Class. Also the pre-grouping types mentioned (GNR, NER, ECJS) would be of interest. They are similar, but different, to the LNER types and would really help to capture the look of a 1930s train.

12. Just a thought from a duffer who knows nowt about Sleepers. If enough folk are interested to make it viable, why not ask Andrew (Wizard) if he would get the side etches done?

13. Thinking about the coaches poll, whilst I have the Harris books, I cannot get too excited about the differences between one gangwayed teak coach and another, as long as I can run 8 or 9 coaches round my layout behind an Apple Green A3 (I do have a Triplet Dining Set). 

14. To my mind, amongst the most iconic of coaches and the biggest RTR gap are the streamlined Silver Jubilee/Coronation/West Riding sets to go with the various A4s. Wonderful style and unique liveries and they lived on in more general use in BR days. The recent restoration of a Beavertail Observation Coach has added to their profile and, as suggested elsewhere, Locomotion could market a record-breaking set of Mallard, Coronation coaches and the Dynamometer Car. 

Thank you Brian. LNER/BRER not my region except for interest but I did enjoy reading this and thank you for your excellent mini Poll.  I'd enjoy some more of these if they are available. Goods stock for example?

Engineers Stock maybe? Just for interest of course.

Sincerely, 

Phil R

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Phil - appreciated!

Below is a clip from my original posting last Friday - there will no doubt be something for you in that lot!

All the best

Brian

Extract...

Rolling Stock Mini-Polls (being run on behalf of Gilbert by Brian Macdermott)

Hello everyone

Recently, Gilbert asked for suggestions for his series of informal and highly enjoyable polls. I submitted an idea for a series of seven weekly polls – each of no more than 10 items per week – concerning rolling stock not yet (or not fully yet) available in RTR form and which have at least some relevance to Peterborough North traffic.

These Polls will be for items that you would like to see made RTR and would realistically wish to buy. I make the assumption that any item would be produced in a full range of liveries from LNER to BR.

The Polls will be:

No.1: Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

No.2: Gresley & Thompson Catering

No.3: Non-passenger – 4- & 6-wheel

No.4: Non-passenger – 8-wheel

No.5: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Pre-1951)

No.6: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Post-1950)

No.7: Freight Stock – 8-wheel

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Clive was right, for once. Only 7 votes cast for the lovely Waverley Route. Perhaps people are scared what might happen to them if they go north of Hadrian's wall?

In the hope of assuaging such fears, we will go down south, and start a trip to the seaside. Best view Waterloo to Salisbury please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Maybe Clive was right, for once. Only 7 votes cast for the lovely Waverley Route. Perhaps people are scared what might happen to them if they go north of Hadrian's wall?

In the hope of assuaging such fears, we will go down south, and start a trip to the seaside. Best view Waterloo to Salisbury please.

Thundering towards and through the reverse curves of a decent Surbiton Station, whistle howling, at a rate of knots, behind a Modified you know what, and a bunch of dozy commuters/passengers, half asleep on the Platforms,  jumping and staring in awe at the sight of something magnificent (no, not me looking out the window). Goose bumps.

However, the emergence from the Tunnel east of Salisbury Station, slowing for the notorious Salisbury curve and then the view on the left of the 400' Cathedral Spire, takes some beating.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Now this a line I am familiar with. Both Surbiton and Woking stations with their 1930s architecture are close to the list of things I like as I zoom along in a warm EMU. I still find the view across the Thames as the train approaches Waterloo impressive, so that is my vote today.

I do not have the same memory of Mr Bullboys spam cans, or the naked ones, sans tins. My recollection of traveling behind them is being bundled into the ladies loo at Farnborough with mum as she changed my brother and me out of our play clothes into our best before going off to see my grandparents because the trains were so dirty form the steam engines in them days.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1