Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Oops I spy an anachronism - hint, it's on the leading wagon ;)  (and easily dealt with by a spot of paint/grubbying)

Bottom right hand corner of the side?

Hi Gilbert,

Did you not see my pm regarding fixing loco lamps ?

Black Tac is the stuff to use.   It's like Blu Tac but much stronger, and being black, will not show if a small amount should squeeze out from underneath the lamp.   You only need a "pin head" amount and it really does stick.   It is  used by photographers for fixing items whilst photoing them, and can easily be removed for reuse.

Regards,

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Did you not see my pm regarding fixing loco lamps ?

Black Tac is the stuff to use.   It's like Blu Tac but much stronger, and being black, will not show if a small amount should squeeze out from underneath the lamp.   You only need a "pin head" amount and it really does stick.   It is  used by photographers for fixing items whilst photoing them, and can easily be removed for reuse.

Regards,

Stuart

Sorry Stuart, my PC is playing up, and I'm not receiving all e-mails. I'm also discovering that some I thought I had sent haven't been received. Winddoze mail's other trick is that when I empty the deleted items folder, the ****** thing then sends most back to me as "new" messages. 538 this last time!  Many thanks for the information.

• RMweb Premium

A day that started horribly, but has thank goodness improved. I have one image left from a few days ago.

post-98-0-94148400-1472162409_thumb.jpg

it doesn't have much to recommend it, so here is the first from the next session.

post-98-0-29466900-1472162510_thumb.jpg

It is not very often that I can get a whole train in shot, but the 4.45pm from Grantham is easy. Easy work also for the J6 to trundle down Stoke bank.

• Like 17

A day that started horribly, but has thank goodness improved. I have one image left from a few days ago.

attachicon.gif73158 close up.JPG

it doesn't have much to recommend it, so here is the first from the next session.

attachicon.gifJ6 1.JPG

It is not very often that I can get a whole train in shot, but the 4.45pm from Grantham is easy. Easy work also for the J6 to trundle down Stoke bank.

Seeing your picture of 73158 had me checking through some books. The trio 73157/8/9 were apparently at 34A in 1958. How long did they stay I wonder. Only 73159 is underlined in my ABC part 4.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing your picture of 73158 had me checking through some books. The trio 73157/8/9 were apparently at 34A in 1958. How long did they stay I wonder. Only 73159 is underlined in my ABC part 4.

They arrived in October 57, and stayed for a year. I don't think KX really wanted them, or knew what to do with them. I've found very few pictures, or recorded sightings. I do have a photo though of 73158 on an Up coal train at PN, and that, together with the fact that Bachmann did that exact engine, was enough for locoholism to click in. I'm wondering about it now though. Is it really necessary?

• RMweb Premium

They arrived in October 57, and stayed for a year. I don't think KX really wanted them, or knew what to do with them. I've found very few pictures, or recorded sightings. I do have a photo though of 73158 on an Up coal train at PN, and that, together with the fact that Bachmann did that exact engine, was enough for locoholism to click in. I'm wondering about it now though. Is it really necessary?

In "East Coast from King's Cross", Eric Neve recorded that they were seen on such duties as 6.53 Cambridge slow passenger, 16.39 Broad St.-Baldock and 20.20 Hull Goods.  No. 73158 also appeared on Newmarket race specials.  "King's Cross Lineside 1958-1984" (D. L. Percival) has a picture of 73157 approaching Brookmans Park with the 2.16pm down 'Cambridge Buffet Express' on 18 June 1958.

Necessary? Well maybe not, but your model is firmly rooted in "how it was" and the presence of the trio on the ECML is a fact. Personally I would keep this 4-6-0 if for no other reason it does add to the variety. It sticks out like a sore..... just like the real things must have done.

There is a picture in "Kings Cross Lineside 1958-1984" by David Percival of 73157 on the "Cambridge Buffet Express".

Chaz

PS - OOPS! I missed Steve Pearce's post. Sorry Steve.

Edited by chaz

Off  shortly to buy large quantities of ham, turkey and cheese, together with about 200 rolls to put it all in. Oh, and some booze as well. One more picture before I go.

attachicon.gifJ6 2.JPG

Lovely things, J6s, I have a real soft spot for them.

A J6 with some Gresley's in red and cream, luvly, luvly, luvly, MORE! MORE!

Chaz

• Like 2

Off  shortly to buy large quantities of ham, turkey and cheese, together with about 200 rolls to put it all in. Oh, and some booze as well. One more picture before I go.

attachicon.gifJ6 2.JPG

Lovely things, J6s, I have a real soft spot for them.

G'day Gents

Agree with you on the subject of J6's, will we see another 10 or so take to the rails on PN.

manna

PS, Isn't 200 rolls a bit to much for a lineside picnic.............

They certainly worked to Cambridge on CBE and similar jobs.

Stewart

edit - as others said whilst I was typing

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Agree with you on the subject of J6's, will we see another 10 or so take to the rails on PN.

manna

PS, Isn't 200 rolls a bit to much for a lineside picnic.............

187 people playing in my President's day tomorrow. I just hope the whole thing doesn't cost me 10 J6s. Actually, I hope it won't cost more than three maximum.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I have to get up at 5.15 tomorrow morning, this will be a very short post, accompanying another shot of the J6, now under the roof.

attachicon.gifJ6 under roof.JPG

I've managed to get plenty of light on this, as did happen on a bright day, and also achieved the burnt out effect at the far end so commonly seen on contemporary photos, so I am quite pleased with it.

Hope the weather is kinder to you this time.

Phil,

I just hope the weather at His Lordships Golf Club has been better than it has been here about 20 miles away..Going to see what P/X  I can get for the Jam Jar against a small boat..

I bet your having a lovely time taking in the weather.

Regards,Del.

G'day Gents

I was cruising around rural South Australia, earlier this year, when I came across this place, have you any relatives hereabouts Gilbert.........

Thanks for the great pictures of the J6 and C12.

manna

post-19471-0-47563100-1472348577_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I just hope the weather at His Lordships Golf Club has been better than it has been here about 20 miles away..Going to see what P/X  I can get for the Jam Jar against a small boat..

I bet your having a lovely time taking in the weather.

Regards,Del.

Yup, it was bloomin wet here @36E (GN) from about mid day and did not relent until late evening. Dampus Duckus syndrome.......................

Dampus Duckus