Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I'll take a stab in the dark an educated guess and propose that it may have been Phil (aka the duck). Who despite going by the forum identity of Mallard60022, is out of the closet and has openly admitted to being a "Southern man" really.  :locomotive:

Although I may also be equally completely mistaken, as I seem to be more often than not of late.

Regards C. Packet

Spot on. It was our Phil, who cannot help his Southern leanings, as he was brought up in Plymuff. That's how he spells it anyway. However, he has seen the light, to a degree anyway, lives close to the ECML, which may account for his forum identity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our shell shocked photographers could not tear themselves away from the strange beast ambling past them, and so we even got a broadside view.

post-98-0-52250200-1493717435_thumb.jpg

Actually, I have to admit that spam cans grew on me somewhat during a couple of summer holidays near Bournemouth in the late 50s, though they would have been WC/BBs by then. Did anyone think of the abbreviation of West Country when so naming them?

Once again, for our purists, I will leaven this with some ER as well. Gayton Hall is on its way up from New England, and will reverse into the bay to wait the arrival of the Birmingham -Ely. This happened well before the arrival of the foreigner, by the way.

post-98-0-51312300-1493717785_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Donny Shed for cleaning the Packet and to Control for allowing it to stretch its' legs for a good run through PN. I suspect there was good reason as if it had stopped then a load of (3) drunken and annoyed Orient fans would have caused a right bust up under that canopy.

Truth told........tis my first can to have a chip in it so it needed testing (no vinegar). I'm very pleased with this product from the Red Box Co. I want to get some more track sorted so that trickery can flow on SOSJ and this can run there.

His Duckness

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Our shell shocked photographers could not tear themselves away from the strange beast ambling past them, and so we even got a broadside view.

attachicon.gifMN 4.JPG

Actually, I have to admit that spam cans grew on me somewhat during a couple of summer holidays near Bournemouth in the late 50s, though they would have been WC/BBs by then. Did anyone think of the abbreviation of West Country when so naming them?

Once again, for our purists, I will leaven this with some ER as well. Gayton Hall is on its way up from New England, and will reverse into the bay to wait the arrival of the Birmingham -Ely. This happened well before the arrival of the foreigner, by the way.

attachicon.gif1641.JPG

Reminds me of the tale of the porter at Clevedon GWR station who, when asked by a little old lady where she could catch the next train to Weston, replied "Go over to the WC & P".

• RMweb Premium

Ah ha! So we do have the Birmingham - East Anglia trains now. What motive power would take them out from New Street?

Don't get too excited. It was only one train per day each way. If you want to see more Midland you need to go down to East station, but I can't take you there. You'll have to wait and see what brings the train in today.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We have one more photo of that strangely shaped object which passed through recently.

post-98-0-68868200-1493759270_thumb.jpg

In the background, and considerably out of scale, is its owner. Lovely plumage. I'm not sure if the raised hand was intended to stop me taking the photo, or asking to be excused. However he then redeemed himself, as if that was necessary, by producing this.

post-98-0-45004700-1493759470_thumb.jpg

A little late for 1958, but otherwise highly appropriate. The dear chap seemed a litle confused as his reason for acquiring it, but this photo may mean that one of our readers takes it off his hands. Not me, I already have Woolwinder.

• Like 13

We have one more photo of that strangely shaped object which passed through recently.

attachicon.gifMN 5.JPG

In the background, and considerably out of scale, is its owner. Lovely plumage. I'm not sure if the raised hand was intended to stop me taking the photo, or asking to be excused. However he then redeemed himself, as if that was necessary, by producing this.

attachicon.gifwoolwinder 1.JPG

A little late for 1958, but otherwise highly appropriate. The dear chap seemed a litle confused as his reason for acquiring it, but this photo may mean that one of our readers takes it off his hands. Not me, I already have Woolwinder.

Well if it needs a new home then I might be able to help. Hopefully.

Gilbert, is the front Gresley a kit or Hornby?

The interloper does not exist Rob. it is just a fantasy, and so there was no line occupation issue. Anyway, it ran after the 01 was safely tucked up back in its fiddle yard road.

Well, when I suggested you do something similar and run the Midland trains through on North Eastern metals, I got very short shrift. It's discrimination against red engines, so it is.*

* The fact that I was only joking is neither here nor there. You're showing clear favouritism in terms of what imaginary interlopers you'll allow. (I'm prepared to forgive all for another nice 4MT or B17 shot, though.)

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Well if it needs a new home then I might be able to help. Hopefully.

Gilbert, is the front Gresley a kit or Hornby?

All horrid Hornby, that rake. If I put anything else in it shows them up too much. I'm afraid you would not be first in the queue for the A3.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifMN 5.JPG

I can take no responsibilty for the 'condition' of that Wooly thing. I acquired it from someone on RMW some years ago and rather stupidly I can't remember who that was. Could it have been Black Rat? Who's it was needs a gold star for 'modifications and weathering'.

I think I decided to have it as, in 1960 at Kings Cross, I took a very precious picture of it. In those days I think I had about 20 shots to a roll of film and a really pathetic plastic Kodak camera. It was the same trip to the smoke during which I cabbed a gleaming 'Britannia' at Liverpool Street. Doesn't seem that long  ago 1960.................... :umbrage:

Thanks Gilbert for allowing the can/Packet through PN and the smashing photo's.

Ducky.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I can take no responsibilty for the 'condition' of that Wooly thing. I acquired it from someone on RMW some years ago and rather stupidly I can't remember who that was. Could it have been Black Rat? Who's it was needs a gold star for 'modifications and weathering.

I think I decided to have it as, in 1960 at Kings Cross, I took a very precious picture of it. In those days I think I had about 20 shots to a roll of film and a really pathetic plastic Kodak camera. It was the same trip to the smoke during which I cabbed a gleaming 'Britannia' at Liverpool Street. Doesn't seem that long  ago 1960.................... :umbrage:

Thanks Gilbert for allowing the can/Packet through PN and the smashing photo's.

Ducky.

1960? Day before yesterday, wasn't it?  And the more I think about it, a perfectly good reason for acquiring the loco. I wonder if it ever ran through Seaton Junction on a footex in1959/60, Plymouth Argyle v Spurs,perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One more picture of that nice A3, albeit with the useless deflectors. Did no-one remember the 1930s trials?

post-98-0-27738300-1493803704_thumb.jpg

Now we return to normal proceedings at PN, and watch a Cravens DMU arrive with a mid morning service from Louth.

post-98-0-53941800-1493803793_thumb.jpg

The wagons in the Down slow frame this nicely, and have convinced me that the extra four inches of baseboard idea is definitely the way to go. Better get on with it then.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Well, when I suggested you do something similar and run the Midland trains through on North Eastern metals, I got very short shrift. It's discrimination against red engines, so it is.*

* The fact that I was only joking is neither here nor there. You're showing clear favouritism in terms of what imaginary interlopers you'll allow. (I'm prepared to forgive all for another nice 4MT or B17 shot, though.)

Alan

I have to be careful what I say here. No red engines have run on PN, partly because no-one has ever brought one and asked for it to be run. This does not mean though that I wish to be trampled in a stampede. Our Phil needs a few rays of sunshine at present, and I was only too pleased both to see him, and to let him see his loco run. I was very interested to see Hornby's latest too, well up to their latest standards.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

1960? Day before yesterday, wasn't it?  And the more I think about it, a perfectly good reason for acquiring the loco. I wonder if it ever ran through Seaton Junction on a footex in1959/60, Plymouth Argyle v Spurs,perhaps?

Sadly that was a mob of Kings on the WR. I seem to remember we lost 5-2 I think it was. FA Cup and about 45 thousand there in the old ground,

Philth

• RMweb Premium

So Phil, has Woolwinder found a new home?

Probably! It should have been 'there' a few  weeks ago but I was unavailable, due to malfunction of my head, and unable to deliver it.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

In the background, and considerably out of scale, is its owner. Lovely plumage.

Ah, the duck in its winter plumage. Has it started moulting yet, Gilbert?

Al.

attachicon.gifMN 5.JPG

A handsome beast and no mistake!

Don;t even tempt me with Woolwonder I'm sure she never ran on the Waverley Route and anyway I have about five A3's already.

Sadly they find themselves incapable of hauling more than about five bogies up the gradients.

Nice to see "Woolwinder"!

But not so nice to see those horrid smoke deflectors, which disfigured the loco' to no real effect (or so we are led to believe). Were they not tried on Humourist in the thirties and found to be pretty (or should that be "ugly") useless?

Good model though.

Chaz

OOOPS - just seen GN's post. I really must read on before pressing "reply".

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

A handsome beast and no mistake!

Don;t even tempt me with Woolwonder I'm sure she never ran on the Waverley Route and anyway I have about five A3's already.

Sadly they find themselves incapable of hauling more than about five bogies up the gradients.

Have you checked the tender pick ups? They can apply a lot of drag. Some of mine would haul three coaches more when we dealt with them.