Peterborough North

great northern

Oh yes, nice B1 Gilbert. I suppose they were the Eastern Region's representative in other regions - what I mean is that this class would end up off the beaten track more times than most other classes. I've seen pictures of one at Bristol Temple Meads, another at Guildford or Lewes and another at Saltley shed, though I think the latter was a more everyday occurrence.

• RMweb Gold

A very nice B1 Gilbert and Tim, just the right amount of muck with a cleaned up number so we can see what it is.

I'm not sure what it is about B1s, but I do like their purposefulness (is that a word?). They look like they are ready for anything, nothing flash about them, but ready to do the job. It might be why I like A1s, same sort of deal. Not flashy looking like an A3 or A4, but they did the job with no fuss. I think I need another of each, any more of those B1s going cheap?

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

So, here is a strange question. I prefer loco's 'facing the right'. Don't know why but I do. How about others?

(Actually, having done the full size click as suggested then they look great both ways, however I still prefer the right facing shots).

P. Ooroldsod 

Sorry Duck but I prefer the very opposite, loco's facing to the Left..

Regards Derek.

See "Misalliance" by Flanders and Swann.

Going by your age I'd say Patrick Hartnell.     :mosking:

Tom Baker for me........

William Troughton shirley?

• Like 1

Hello Gilbert and everyone .................. I feel that I know some of you so well. The reason, I have just spent the last 5 months reading this thread from the start to where we are today ! A testament to how interesting and informative the thread is.

I was raised in Gloucester ( now living in France ), so my foundations are firmly GWR and LMR, 85B Horton Road and 85C Barnwood.

Apart from the odd B1, perhaps on a summer saturday special, my association with ER is almost non existant. Therefore, the learning curve at present is steep. However, through the generally superb photography Gilbert that you have shown of Peterborough North. I can now recognise the differences between A1s, A3s and A2/3s, A4s were easy ! .................

To everyone involved in presenting this fabulous model of a section of the East coast mainline, thank you for all the pleasure and keep up the excellent work ...........  

I am fortunate that another superb model railway, Carlisle by David Johnson, is not too far away, I visited, by kind invitation earlier this year and will return hopefully at the end of next month to shoot some video. If you would like to see how things operated on the other side of the UK and with David's permission I will post a link to the video on this thread. Assuming that the video is good enough  :sungum:

Thanks again for the entertainment, I'll check in every day now !

Take care everyone

Andrew   

Edited by DH71Tiger
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Gloucester, April 1963. Excellent place........two stations and two sheds at the end of a three day spotting trip, just before the train down to Bristol and then home to 83D.

Just over 1500 'cops' on that trip and almost all steam. Yup, 1500. Them were the days.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum (and Peterborough North) Andrew.

I might be confusing it with Scarborough, but isn't Gloucester the location of the world's longest platform bench? Or is it longest platform?

• RMweb Gold

Scarborough still has the world's longest platform seat on platform one. I aren't sure which station has the longest platform.

Best regards,

Rob.

I think a couple of Manchester stations came close by being close, but Cambridge was a good bet, too.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A giant hand? Oh dear I think we are in trouble! It must be someone who has got mad with the engine driver and fireman! lol To bed with no supper or pay for two weeks. :jester:

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Used to be Man Victoria.

There was one platform at Victoria which just kept on going and ended up as a platform in Exchange, bit of a cheat, and Exchange is shut, so.. Edinburgh Waverley has some long ones, but I think these days it's Gloucester Central, which had the down platform extended back to form an extra platform. Tape measure needed, Phil.