Peterborough North

great northern

As PN dozes in the summer sun, something very strange occurs. :O

attachicon.gifMN 1.JPG

Do our eyes deceive us? Maybe not.

attachicon.gifMN 2.JPG

The owner of this strange beast suggested that a reason for this unprecedented sighting might be a Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient return footex. Of course I discarded that immediately. Why would you put on a special train for three people? More later.

Call me Mr Picky, but for a MN it would be more likely to be from Millwall or Wimbledon; Leyton Orient is I believe in Essex. But nice to see a visitor to the area - next time can we have a 'Hall' perhaps?

...nice to see a visitor to the area - next time can we have a 'Hall' perhaps?

Mmm, A Bullied pacific is something exotic, a Duchess likewise, but a Hall might just seem like something that has lost it's way. Fine machines, yes, but exciting, sadly, no.  :no:

Do I not recall a Hall coming to grief elsewhere in Yorkshire due to platform gauging issues?

Colin Walker relates how far Halls got up (or should that be down) the Great Central, past Nottingham and on through Sheffield etc. Yes. if they went wondering too far from there I could imagine they would be grinding a few platform edges!

• RMweb Premium

As PN dozes in the summer sun, something very strange occurs. :O

Do our eyes deceive us? Maybe not.

The owner of this strange beast suggested that a reason for this unprecedented sighting might be a Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient return footex. Of course I discarded that immediately. Why would you put on a special train for three people? More later.

Gilbert, you mind that thing doesn't catch fire or fall to bits in the station and take the platform canopy down!

Do I not recall a Hall coming to grief elsewhere in Yorkshire due to platform gauging issues?

Actually, 6858 'Woolston Grange', on 15th. August 1964, complete with Locomotive Inspector in suit and bowler hat on the footplate. She was taken off at Huddersfield, having adjusted several platform edges on the way, and displayed at Hillhouse shed for a week or so, before being returned to Wolverhampton 'out of gauge'!

Cheers,

BR(W).

Actually, 6858 'Woolston Grange', on 15th. August 1964, complete with Locomotive Inspector in suit and bowler hat on the footplate. She was taken off at Huddersfield, having adjusted several platform edges on the way, and displayed at Hillhouse shed for a week or so, before being returned to Wolverhampton 'out of gauge'!

Cheers,

BR(W).

Yes, and then 'Modified Hall' no. 6979 'Helperby Hall' (ironic as the real place was only ten or so miles away) ended up at York in 1959 if I remember correctly. The photo also shows a 'Black Five' though I expect these regularly came in on cross-country expresses from Birmingham via Leeds.

With regards to the 'Grange' at Huddersfield, a photo of it appeared in the Railway Magazine. But in addition to the info of the loco, the caption stated, "Moments after taking this photo, the photographer was ejected by the foreman from the shed premises." You can just imagine the photographer having his collar felt by the foreman, and him shouting, "Clear off, sonny!" *

It is an interesting topic - maybe someone can start a thread?

* 'Sonny' might have been replaced by something a little more Anglo Saxon!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That Bullied is a taste of what the ECML 'might' have had if Bullied had succeeded Gresley. I know some people always say that Thompson was senior to Bullied etc etc, but I have read somewhere that the LNER Board did indeed offer the job to Bullied but he declined their offer, so they had to reluctantly let Thompson have it. Anyway, in the realms of an alternative universe, we might have had a fleet of 'air smoothed' LNER pacifics instead of A1s, and lord knows what else!

Lovely to see a Bullied at Peterborough nonetheless! 

There used to be a beer-glass smiley once, but I can't find it now. Never mind. Cheers, and bottoms up. Clink!

Without wanting to offend our feathered friend, the packet owner, I have to say that thought gives me very mixed feelings.

• RMweb Premium

Call me Mr Picky, but for a MN it would be more likely to be from Millwall or Wimbledon; Leyton Orient is I believe in Essex. But nice to see a visitor to the area - next time can we have a 'Hall' perhaps?

:O :swoon:

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, you mind that thing doesn't catch fire or fall to bits in the station and take the platform canopy down!

The Fire Brigade were on stand by, and I have not found any loose motion in the four foot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, loose motion? In the days when toilets empied straight on to the track? Think we had better change the subject....

Stewart

And there was I thinking that my distinguished readership would rise above and ignore the bait I dangled before them.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the air-smoothed visitor - back in the mid-1950s there was a Model Engineering club track (raised 3.5 inch etc gauge) in a recreation ground just south of the bridge where the M&GN line crossed over the GN Main Line north of New England Loco. The loco I remember seeing and admiring as a short-trousered boy was a 4-8-2 with Air-smoothed casing in the style of a stetched MN. Is this a precedent for your visiting loco at PN?

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That Bullied is a taste of what the ECML 'might' have had if Bullied had succeeded Gresley. I know some people always say that Thompson was senior to Bullied etc etc, but I have read somewhere that the LNER Board did indeed offer the job to Bullied but he declined their offer, so they had to reluctantly let Thompson have it. Anyway, in the realms of an alternative universe, we might have had a fleet of 'air smoothed' LNER pacifics instead of A1s, and lord knows what else!

Lovely to see a Bullied at Peterborough nonetheless! 

There used to be a beer-glass smiley once, but I can't find it now. Never mind. Cheers, and bottoms up. Clink!

This one?  :drinks:

Gilbert, who was the lucky guest to witness such a phenomenon? Are they on the forum?

I'll take a stab in the dark an educated guess and propose that it may have been Phil (aka the duck). Who despite going by the forum identity of Mallard60022, is out of the closet and has openly admitted to being a "Southern man" really.  :locomotive: 

Although I may also be equally completely mistaken, as I seem to be more often than not of late.

Regards C. Packet

I'll take a stab in the dark an educated guess and propose that it may have been Phil (aka the duck). Who despite going by the forum identity of Mallard60022, is out of the closet and has openly admitted to being a "Southern man" really.  :locomotive: 

Although I may also be equally completely mistaken, as I seem to be more often than not of late.

Regards C. Packet

I did wonder that, but don't shed codes for the Southern region start with 7?

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. Are those two trains running permissive block? :jester:

Rob.

The interloper does not exist Rob. it is just a fantasy, and so there was no line occupation issue. Anyway, it ran after the 01 was safely tucked up back in its fiddle yard road.