Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

There was one platform at Victoria which just kept on going and ended up as a platform in Exchange, bit of a cheat, and Exchange is shut, so.. Edinburgh Waverley has some long ones, but I think these days it's Gloucester Central, which had the down platform extended back to form an extra platform. Tape measure needed, Phil.

On Mastermind years ago I'm sure that was one of the questions that Chris whateverhisnamewas answered and so did I having read it in some book about tunnels, bridges, platforms etc. No idea what the longest platform is these days but Donny Platform 3a/b could be a contender?

Phil

• Like 1

Hi everyone ..................

Looks like my home town now has the second longest station platform in the UK ...............

At 1,977 feet 4 inches (602.69 m) Gloucester has the second longest railway platform in Great Britain, just behind Colchester (2034 ft, 620 m). This platformwas lengthened as part of the 1977 rebuilding work by British Rail and was intended to handle two Inter-City 125 trains at the same time.

Have fun

Andrew

Manchester always used nto be the longest. From memory, Ithink Cambridge p1/4 used to be 4th? Nowadays Cambridge has been extended at least on the P1 end, not sure if p4 was done as well. (P1/4 are one continuous platform with the crossover in the middle).

Stewart

Let's have a look at the other side of that M&GN stock.

attachicon.gifalong train inside.JPG

Apologies for going back a few pages (my brain is not as quick as it once was), but I was reflecting on your lovely M&GN train. And then I remembered this, from Operation Norfolk (which I admit is set in 1954, a few years before your period):

17.55 Peterborough to King's Lynn (19.23)

... In contrast to the general run of M&GN trains from Peterborough, the stock used on the 17.55 was not a four-coach Peterborough set but a three coach LMS set which, somewhat strangely, was allocated to King's Lynn and worked out daily in the 11.45 to Peterborough [arrives 13.13]. ... (p.62)

The carriages are listed as: Composite Corridor (2-5); Third Corridor (7); Third Brake Corridor (3).

I only recall you using the lovely Gresley stock on your M&GNs (though that may also be a reflection of my failing brain - see above...). Had things changed by 1958?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for going back a few pages (my brain is not as quick as it once was), but I was reflecting on your lovely M&GN train. And then I remembered this, from Operation Norfolk (which I admit is set in 1954, a few years before your period):

17.55 Peterborough to King's Lynn (19.23)

... In contrast to the general run of M&GN trains from Peterborough, the stock used on the 17.55 was not a four-coach Peterborough set but a three coach LMS set which, somewhat strangely, was allocated to King's Lynn and worked out daily in the 11.45 to Peterborough [arrives 13.13]. ... (p.62)

The carriages are listed as: Composite Corridor (2-5); Third Corridor (7); Third Brake Corridor (3).

I only recall you using the lovely Gresley stock on your M&GNs (though that may also be a reflection of my failing brain - see above...). Had things changed by 1958?

Paul

I have the book, Paul, and I must have noticed this some time back, but that was when my thoughts were limited to one rake per local service. Since then, of course, with the advent of casettes and loose stock, I can do a lot more, so this is now feasible. I even have an LMS CK and SK available, so watch this space.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

She really looks a beauty Gilbert, when was she scrapped?

I will anticipate whatever different that's coming tomorrow.

Not too late for me to cab it at KX after a trip up from York (I was but a lad at the time).  By strange coincidence when my father was a young fellah he had cabbed LNER 10000 at some sort of public event of the sort the LNER was rather good at organising to show off their latest technology (as it would be called nowadays).   I do wonder if we are the only father and son combination who cabbed the same engine but in two very different forms a generation apart?

Sorry Gilbert - back to Peterborough North.

• Like 7

I don't suppose any of you know of any good photo charter companies? I'd love to go on one; just imagine Didcot (or any) shed at night with smoke, steam, grime, oil, and grease in abundance. Oh yes, and the locos of course.

There are several operators of photo charters.  As you mention Didcot, try TimeLine Events [timelineevents.org] who run night shoots there from time to time.  I understand that their two events in November are already full. 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Could you please tell me the origins of the model 60514. I anticipate it being a DJH kit built,but so good are Mr King's resin job's I could well be wrong. Lovely Model regardless.

Regards,Derek.. 

DJH, Derek, built by John Houlden.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is now a constant stream of traffic on the Up main. so no sooner has the Leeds relief gone through than signals are off for the arrival of the 7.53 Sunderland, the only Heaton duty which takes one of its allocation as far as Peterborough.

post-98-0-81138400-1495055459_thumb.jpg

A1 Sir Vincent Raven in charge today. Rare indeed it was back in the day, though I can still picture it running very quickly through Retford on the Up fast one fine morning back in '58, or possibly '59, with a train with Tyne Commission Quay on the carriage roofboards. Can't remember what i had for lunch a couple of days ago, though. :sad_mini:

post-98-0-98535000-1495055802_thumb.jpg

60126 is now just about coming to a stand, and will shortly be replaced by 60514.

• Like 19