Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

Minoru getting closer now.

62 2.JPG

and seen again maintaining its stately 20mph progress, but nearing the end of the PSR.

62 3.JPG

I'm still looking for the best angle for this shot, but it isn't easy with all those signals and other things to get in the way, and try to grow out of chimneys.

Is minoru from one of the latest a3's?

• RMweb Premium

That WD is extremely pleased that some of you liked it, and reminded me that it did feature in other, similar, shots.

post-98-0-47091400-1507065042_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-61539800-1507065057_thumb.jpg

Its all about the new found pleasure of photoshopping these angles actually, so I just moved the camera and the loco slightly each time. There is still somewhat of a problem when the light is very bad though, as I have since discovered.

• Like 18

No, its been around for several years, in fact since the original Hornby run of 60073. One of my favourite A3s, so it was high on my wanted list.

The renumber and crest change are very well done

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

It has been some time since I last looked in on Peterborough, I notice that you have been discussing the change in colour of your ballast. How often do the domestic authorities allow you to use the vacuum cleaner on the track? Giving the train set a good clean can revitalise the colours. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

It has been some time since I last looked in on Peterborough, I notice that you have been discussing the change in colour of your ballast. How often do the domestic authorities allow you to use the vacuum cleaner on the track? Giving the train set a good clean can revitalise the colours. 

There are no domestic authorities here. How else would I have got away with knocking my two spare bedrooms into one to accomodate the layout? :jester:  Sadly though, their absence doesn't help with the ballast, which has just bleached out, gradually at first, but in a rush over the course of the summer. I'd love to find an alternative to recolouring the whole thing, but there dosn't seem to be one.

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gents

I think the J6 is a far 'prettier' loco than the 4F.

manna

I agree, but then I'm biased in favour of anything LNER. I do think though that the GN/LNE did try to put a bit of gracefulness into almost everything, while the 4F is just a functional rugged design with little thought for aesthetics. But I guess it is all about what you grew up with.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

Such an excellent collection of shots lately, and I like the new angles too.  Totally agree about the J6 being pretty.  Some attention is currently being focussed in that direction at the moment...

I know you have lots of suggestions about the ballast so am reticent to post any more, but I recently had some good success in modifying and changing the colour of some Bachmann weathered mineral wagons which were a similar colour to your ballast.  This was done through using the Pan Pastel range of colours which are lightfast.  I can do up a bit of a test if you like to see if it offers any possibilities.  I first saw them used on Trainmasters TV, then I found some in our local trainshop.  I was a little skeptical at first but then found the whole range in an art store and discovered they are permanent and lightfast, plus can be sealed in too if you really want to make sure.  I use them quite extensively now in my weathering projects.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Such an excellent collection of shots lately, and I like the new angles too.  Totally agree about the J6 being pretty.  Some attention is currently being focussed in that direction at the moment...

I know you have lots of suggestions about the ballast so am reticent to post any more, but I recently had some good success in modifying and changing the colour of some Bachmann weathered mineral wagons which were a similar colour to your ballast.  This was done through using the Pan Pastel range of colours which are lightfast.  I can do up a bit of a test if you like to see if it offers any possibilities.  I first saw them used on Trainmasters TV, then I found some in our local trainshop.  I was a little skeptical at first but then found the whole range in an art store and discovered they are permanent and lightfast, plus can be sealed in too if you really want to make sure.  I use them quite extensively now in my weathering projects.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, are these powders or liquid?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Cheers

Tony

That sounds very interesting Tony, so if you could do a bit of testing I would really appreciate it.  Permanent and lightfast is exactly the specification needed.

• RMweb Premium

Love the Stanier tank, Gilbert.

I always think it looks a bit out of place at PN, though of course they were seen. We don't get to see many tank engines though, so an occasional visitor is welcome, and it is a nice looking engine.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, are these powders or liquid?

Phil

Hi Phil and Gilbert

They are in solid form which you can rub off as a powder and they have a large range of colours (see http://panpastel.com/colors.html) I'll make up a test track over the weekend and try original and a few different colour combinations as I have quite a few of their earth and grey colours.

Sorry for the delay in replying, time differences do tend to disrupt conversation threads!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I seem to be unexpectedly well organised today :scratchhead: and so had time to get into the railway room while there was still some light, which didn't seem likely earlier. Thus, I can now release another picture from an earlier shoot, without fear of running out, which would never do.

post-98-0-71603000-1507303427_thumb.jpg

Deltic shaking the rivets out of Crescent Bridge as it passes below. Assuming there are any rivets, of course. Engineering is not my strong point. If no rivets, substitute the fillings out of someone's teeth.

• Like 16

Assuming there are any rivets, of course.

When the original bridge was erected, the only choice would have been rivets.  Superglue hadn't been invented, and welding of large-scale structures was in its infancy.