Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Not sure whether I've missed something along the way, but it seems unusual for an Edinburgh train to start at Peterborough?

I was surprised to see it too Steve, but there it is in the WTT and the public timetable. It ran only on Fridays and Saturdays, so I assume it was about relieving congestion at KX.

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to see it too Steve, but there it is in the WTT and the public timetable. It ran only on Fridays and Saturdays, so I assume it was about relieving congestion at KX.

Thanks Gilbert, that's interesting - we live and learn!

• RMweb Premium

Good evening. May I seek your comments please on the picture below?

post-98-0-90515200-1508692484_thumb.jpg

I take the view that it is totally spoilt by the out of focus lamp in the foreground. I wanted to get the wide angle shot which included the locos on the left, but found that lamp unavoidable. I tried a heavy crop leaving only what is to its right, but that looked all wrong. So, we can have the panoramic view, and see most of what is behind the Ivatt, but only with the problem of the lamp. I could have taken it out, but that would be cheating.

As you don't always agree with what I classify as c***, I've done a full photoshop, rather than binning it immediately. Over to you.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 13

attachicon.gif3084 1.JPG

I take the view that it is totally spoilt by the out of focus lamp in the foreground. I wanted to get the wide angle shot which included the locos on the left, but found that lamp unavoidable. I tried a heavy crop leaving only what is to its right, but that looked all wrong. So, we can have the panoramic view, and see most of what is behind the Ivatt, but only with the problem of the lamp. I could have taken it out, but that would be cheating.

As you don't always agree with what I classify as c***, I've done a full photoshop, rather than binning it immediately. Over to you.

I would have taken it out, as you wouldn't be able to work exactly where the cameraman was standing when to took the picture so wouldn't notice it's omission.

This, I believe, would go under the title of artistic license.

I do agree that the first thing you notice is the lamp and it detracts from an otherwise lovely picture.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I keep thinking that it would be an ideal way of getting a Scottish loco which had found its way down South back to where it belongs!

Donny Works releases one after post Works testing  because of shortages......there you go.

Hoorah Henry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Donny Works releases one after post Works testing  because of shortages......there you go.

Hoorah Henry.

But that's my excuse for 60090 Phil. I'd need another one, and anyway there are loads of very common local engines which would be far more sensible choices. That's if I intended to buy any more locos, which I don't, probably.

• RMweb Premium

But that's my excuse for 60090 Phil. I'd need another one, and anyway there are loads of very common local engines which would be far more sensible choices. That's if I intended to buy any more locos, which I don't, probably.

".........very common local engines........." :all in use, on specials, failed or not wanted to be off to Scottishland in case they never se it again! Go on, you know you can.

Then, of course there is the Ian Allen, RTC, LCGB or Hamilton Acidemicals Old Boys Peterborough Branch railtours.

B. Honest.

• RMweb Premium

".........very common local engines........." :all in use, on specials, failed or not wanted to be off to Scottishland in case they never se it again! Go on, you know you can.

Then, of course there is the Ian Allen, RTC, LCGB or Hamilton Acidemicals Old Boys Peterborough Branch railtours.

B. Honest.

If you don't stop being naughty I shall tell you all about the benefits of macros, and how to set them up.

• RMweb Premium

Three for the price of one!  Two stationary, and the other soon will be, as signals at the end of the Down slow are on.

post-98-0-40554200-1508705890_thumb.jpg

And here is why that diesel shunter will be stopped.

post-98-0-11040600-1508705967_thumb.jpg

Woolwinder is at the head of a very well known train.

Some trains ran, and were photographed, and some ballast turned grey. However, I wasn't pleased to find that in six weeks I've only got to move 100 in a sequence of 364. I wish I hadn't made a note of the start date now.

• Like 18

attachicon.gif3084 1.JPG

What camera and lens are you using, is it a DSLR?

• RMweb Premium

Evocative pictures as ever. 

One very small observation; the handle of the luggage trolley seems to be sticking out at a eyecatching 45 deg, it might well take someones eye out. Surely it would be fully upright against the frame to put the brakes on if it had them, or at least not present a hazard? 

Really the rest is very impressive. 

• RMweb Premium

What camera and lens are you using, is it a DSLR?

No, Canon G12, which is small enough to get into the places from which I like to take photos. It's a trade off as usual, isn't it, a bigger camera can do more in some ways, but loses the ability to do others.

• RMweb Premium

One very small observation; the handle of the luggage trolley seems to be sticking out at a eyecatching 45 deg, it might well take someones eye out. Surely it would be fully upright against the frame to put the brakes on if it had them, or at least not present a hazard? 

Yes, those kids are always messing about with the trolleys. :jester: Well, we did, anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If only I had a copy of the GC's WTT back in the day, there were a lot of trains I had no idea of where they came from or where they were going, I also would have spent a lot more time at Woodford Halse.

It is worth searching around. I waited ages for the Summer 58 ECML WTT, but patience and perserverance were rewarded in the end. It does make a huge difference if you want to run your railway properly.

I take the view that it is totally spoilt by the out of focus lamp in the foreground.

If I were a tiny human, I could step forward a couple of metres so that the post is not in view.  But in that case I would not be holding a giant camera as big as a 14 ton van. 

Can't you simply Photoshop it away?  Use a clone stamp to fill in the resulting blank?

• RMweb Premium

If I were a tiny human, I could step forward a couple of metres so that the post is not in view.  But in that case I would not be holding a giant camera as big as a 14 ton van. 

Can't you simply Photoshop it away?  Use a clone stamp to fill in the resulting blank?

That looks a bit complex for someone with my lack of photoshopping skills. :jester:  Actually, I am more or less persuaded that it would be permissible to remove things temporarily, as your point is a very good one - the problem could easily be avoided in reality by  slight adjustment of position. There is, however, still one drawback to an otherwise perfect solution. That column is very firmly glued in place.

I was of the belief that all trollies had to be stowed parallel to the track in case of runaways? But then, as you say, trainspotters.....

Stewart

G'Day All

Gas Axe, or seeing they were cast iron...........a very large sledge hammer, but in 4mm, a pair of pliers will do.

I was thinking a large lump of coal at high speed has been known to take out the side of a waiting room, but with the speed trains pass through Peterborough, that's not very likely.

manna