Peterborough North

great northern

Guest Tom F

Don't tell me they printed that appalling photo? :O :excl: :blush: I asked Chris to destroy it immediately the first time I saw it.

:yes: Yep....he did print it! It's nice picture, if anything it shows one of Peter's buildings off :jester:

On a more serious note, it is a very good article. I like the actual photos of Peterborough North intermingled within. It allows the reader see what a great representation of Peterborough North the layout is, having real photos to compare it with. Plus it allows the many other modellers out there who aren't on RMweb to get a chance to admire your beautiful layout. :imsohappy:

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:yes: Yep....he did print it! It's nice picture, if anything it shows one of Peter's buildings off :jester:

On a more serious note, it is a very good article. I like the actual photos of Peterborough North intermingled within. It allows the reader see what a great representation of Peterborough North the layout is, having real photos to compare it with. Plus it allows the many other modellers out there who aren't on RMweb to get a chance to admire your beautiful layout. :imsohappy:

Thanks Tom. It's article one of eight :O that they have asked for, so plenty more to come yet, though I've only written half of them. As to that horrible photo, Chris asked me to bend down behind the building, which my back didn't like - hence the expression. Perhaps someone might fall for that explanation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's visitor was Mallard 60022. I may decide to explain why later, but on the other hand I may wait until I see if I make a complete pig's breakfast of something. Anyway, very pleasant two or three hours, bit of whinging - compulsory at our age, and as he left he said he'd like to do a bit of spotting later. I wouldn't want to disappoint him. so away we go.

post-98-0-00810800-1332262531_thumb.jpg

On the Down main, Walter K Whigham with the Down Northumbrian. It wasn't a name to compare with some of the lovely bird names, but apparently a star Top Shed performer nevertheless.

post-98-0-31735200-1332262756_thumb.jpg

That classic front end......

post-98-0-74958000-1332262846_thumb.jpg

and just as graceful from this angle.

post-98-0-91549200-1332262914_thumb.jpg

28 comes to a stand, and will be replaced by the Gateshead loco in the bay. Irfan View is messing up some of my photos when I resize them. :mad:

post-98-0-74315000-1332263099_thumb.jpg

Just something a little different.

post-98-0-97215500-1332263169_thumb.jpg

60002 is the replacement loco. It's been on this turn all week, so no surprise. In fact Gateshead used to roster locos to trains sometimes for months on end, which I believe was unique to that shed. I suspect it was a practice that went back to NE days. Nationalisation was happily ignored in many places, and I reckon the Grouping still was in some.post-98-0-66979400-1332263411_thumb.jpg

For a liitle while now the quiet of the afternooon has been shattered by an increasingly loud droning noise, and here's why. Deltic on her way up to London with a Hull train. We didn't see her as a threat to our beloved A4's at this time, she was just a very loud oddity. And I will put all the gubbins on the buffer beam....... when I can find it.

post-98-0-44495900-1332263642_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-00761700-1332263702_thumb.jpg

The light was difficult again today.......

post-98-0-03725100-1332263785_thumb.jpg

Standing at the South end now.

post-98-0-21100600-1332263890_thumb.jpg

One more view. You will I am sure be too tactful to mention that i haven't quite finished hiding the bookcases. Do you agree that it looks better now that I have mounted the card vertically, and covered the bottom of the shelves?

• Like 12

Guest Tom F

I really like the 5th photo down. The fact the GNR and GCR tank engines are in such focus as well as the A4 makes that one for me.

Saying that though, seeing the A4 framed under Crescent Bridge is a real classic!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As are many things, far, far better in the 'flesh' than in the pics, so that's how good this layout is. Yes Tom, great pic is No 5 with those loco's looking so real in the distance. Also 'coach heaven' for me....... :angel:

Many thanks for the opportunity Gilbert and I 'needed' that Tyneside Streak! Keep those pictures coming - lovely stuff.

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bet I'm the odd one out on here who has always considered Thomas the Diesel hideously revolting. :diablo_mini:

Got your tin hat handy Larry? :O I would at least credit it with having a bit of character, compared with most of what came later. One English Electric class 4 looked very similar to any of the other 200 odd, but you couldn't miss Deltic.

• Like 4

Bet I'm the odd one out on here who has always considered Thomas the Diesel hideously revolting. :diablo_mini:

You are welcome to your opinion Coachman and long may it be so but go on admit it, 'Thomas The Diesel' and his off spring gave us one of the true iconic sound bites of our era along with The Rolls Royce Merlin Spitfire /Hurricane aero engine, The Ducati motor bike engine and the rolling thunder that was a TVR exhaust and have you ever followed a Lamborghini V 12 through an alpine tunnel? But then again what excitement amongst us train spotting nippers when we heard the chime whistle of an A4 before the next down train from Kings Cross came into view, only to discover it was 'Mucky Duck' (Aka Wild Swan) Again!

Having experienced Gilbert's sound equipped Gresley and Peppercorn Pacifics what a shame his Deltic is mute.

Guest Tom F

Having experienced Gilbert's sound equipped Gresley and Peppercorn Pacifics what a shame his Deltic is mute.

Before experiencing Gilbert's sound fitted locos, I found it had little appeal to me really, but after hearing the GA A4, and A1 Sea Eagle, my mind was changed. I now have A4 Sparrow Hawk (Ironically bought from Mr Barnatt) and now intend to have one member of roughly each class on my layout to be sound fitted.

I'm thinking of getting the Howes O4 Sound decoder to fit in the O4/8 I commissioned Tim to do for me, I love the clanking motion sound you can achieve.

Are you planning a similar method of sound in locos Gilbert? Or just a select few? I was very impressed with A1...the sound of the locomotive coasting was most effective. :)

Edited by Tom F

Ah but..........I wasn't referring to production Deltics. The latter sans vulgar 1950's Americanisms were indeed mean machines.

I think it was rather hoped that the Americanisms might lead to export sales but like most great British engineering achievements of the 1940's 50's and 60's our foreign competitors just ripped us off and made a packet from British invention whilst we maintained the British stiff upper lip.

Just look what 'Johny Foreigner' has done with 'our' game of football, not to mention cricket!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before experiencing Gilbert's sound fitted locos, I found it had little appeal to me really, but after hearing the GA A4, and A1 Sea Eagle, my mind was changed. I now have A4 Sparrow Hawk (Ironically bought from Mr Barnatt) and now intend to have one member of roughly each class on my layout to be sound fitted.

I'm thinking of getting the Howes O4 Sound decoder to fit in the O4/8 I commissioned Tim to do for me, I love the clanking motion sound you can achieve.

Are you planning a similar method of sound in locos Gilbert? Or just a select few? I was very impressed with A1...the sound of the locomotive coasting was most effective. :)

I'm not looking at many more sound fitted locos, or at least not until(if ever) the prices come down pretty dramatically. I wouldn't want more than one going at any time- too distracting- so little point in having very expensive locos sitting in stock boxes 98% of the time. I must say though that I do fancy a WD with sound, so that may happen before too long. Not Deltic though, the vibration might break windows! The building was over 100 years old by 1958. And we wouldn't want to disturb the death watch beetles either, would we?

• Like 2

Guest Tom F

I'm not looking at many more sound fitted locos, or at least not until(if ever) the prices come down pretty dramatically. I wouldn't want more than one going at any time- too distracting- so little point in having very expensive locos sitting in stock boxes 98% of the time. I must say though that I do fancy a WD with sound, so that may happen before too long. Not Deltic though, the vibration might break windows! The building was over 100 years old by 1958. And we wouldn't want to disturb the death watch beetles either, would we?

I agree more than one going at a time becomes just a mush of sound, I think that's what had put me off hearing DCC sound before.

The sound of a Deltic revving through Peterborough North..... I'm saying nought! ;) :P

Liked the first article your locos are something else,good to see the streaks always enjoyed them going past Wood Green in the fifties. I think the prototype Deltic always looked out of place in the UK but the production locos were the bees knees listening to them belting past at a 100mph was a wonderful experience.How many locos have you on the roster and how many do you run at any time?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't 60002 a little too clean?

Peter Coster says that when Gateshead started having more through turns to London, especially on the Talisman, an effort was made to keep at least some locos looking more presentable. There is photographic evidence to confirm this, and as with as many of my locos as possible 60002 is based on a photo taken at around the time when the layout is set. There were always exceptions to prove the rule, and not all Gateshead, or York or New England engines for that matter were always filthy. 60023, my other 52A A4, is very shabby, and 60070 even worse, so I allowed myself one clean one.

• Like 3

One more view. You will I am sure be too tactful to mention that i haven't quite finished hiding the bookcases. Do you agree that it looks better now that I have mounted the card vertically, and covered the bottom of the shelves?

I have to say that until I read the question I had not noticed the bookshelves at all on those particular southern end photos. You have done an excellent job of hiding the shelves, although for me it was really only the lines of books that I found distracting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Liked the first article your locos are something else,good to see the streaks always enjoyed them going past Wood Green in the fifties. I think the prototype Deltic always looked out of place in the UK but the production locos were the bees knees listening to them belting past at a 100mph was a wonderful experience.How many locos have you on the roster and how many do you run at any time?

Thanks for that. I totally agree about the production Deltics. Somehow they succeeded in carrying on the long and glorious tradition of ECML top loco power. The names were fitting and pleasing too. A huge contrast to the myriads of Brush 4's which followed, and which finally killed off my interest, along with the scrapping of Pacifics and the increasingly disreputable condition of those which remained.

There are currently 119 locos on the roster. I'm not sure how this has happened. Perhaps they are breeding during the night? it's not possible really to run more than two at a time. That is not so much caused by my inability to do two things at once as by the complexities of the station layout. It really was a nightmare, so apart from the Up and Down main anything else tended to be on a collision course somewhere! My insistence on running prototypically means that my locos are sadly underutilised - some are seen only once in every ten operating sessions. it does give areal sense of purpose to operating though, and I am finding that to be a very good thing.

• Like 2

Peter Coster says that when Gateshead started having more through turns to London, especially on the Talisman, an effort was made to keep at least some locos looking more presentable. There is photographic evidence to confirm this, and as with as many of my locos as possible 60002 is based on a photo taken at around the time when the layout is set. There were always exceptions to prove the rule, and not all Gateshead, or York or New England engines for that matter were always filthy. 60023, my other 52A A4, is very shabby, and 60070 even worse, so I allowed myself one clean one.

I've two gateshead A4's 60002 and 60018. No.2 is in deplorable external condition, 18 is not quite as dirty. I'd not realised they were used on the Talisman - have you just given me an excuse for another A4?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Who, what?

;)

post-6681-0-91492700-1332285306.jpg

Thanks Chris. :sad_mini: The black patch is a big improvement, but please could you extend it a bit further? I don't know why it is that whenever I am asked to smile for a photograph I have to do an impression of the Cheshire Cat. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've two gateshead A4's 60002 and 60018. No.2 is in deplorable external condition, 18 is not quite as dirty. I'd not realised they were used on the Talisman - have you just given me an excuse for another A4?

I'm afraid so David. After the big increase in through running in 1957 Gateshead engines in general became more common down South, and as the A4's got the double kylchaps that transformed their performance they were used much more. Until then Gateshead always seemed to prefer A1's for their lodging turns, and anecdotally it seems their A4's with the exception of No5 were an undistinguished lot anyway. I would assume that once the A4's and A3's for that matter had the kylchaps fitted the same thing would happen as at Top Shed, where the enginemen went back to preferring the Gresley engines because they rode so much better than an A1, excellent engines though they otherwise were. Actually having just looked at a few photos I see that 52A used A4's on the Talisman right from the start in 1956- even single blast engines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK so I go to buy Model rail and where is Peterborough North? I have the April edition so is this an April Fool joke? However there is in this edition a very useful article on Southern Coach sets.

I have not bought a copy of Model Rail for many years; it is a good read.

P @ 36E

P.S. Just had to get an MRJ I found lurking as well, as it has an article on Maunsell Coaches, including enhancement of the Hornby Product. .