Peterborough North

great northern

Glad to hear your op went well.

Don't do anything silly and spoil the recovery, now will you?

Mate of mine just had a double hernia op. He took the dog for a long walk the next day and ended up back in......

• Like 2

Hi, Gilbert

I am glad the op was a success and that you are recovering well.

Just a note of info folks and thanks for the favourable comments allways encouraging, with regard to some aspects of the model, Gilbert may have allready mentioned it earlier in the thread unknown to me.:-).

The arcade wall runs flush with the outer island platform 6 wall but in the photos they are slightly uneven this is tempory to accomodate Gilberts roof mock up' the large building at the end of the rdside platform is also out of line for the same reason and this is obvious from the under roof shots, all the buildings are in line and flush when set up in the proper when the overall roof goes on.

The photos look great Gilbert and some interesting backdrops.

Someone mentioned drawings, they allways turn up after the build :-) lol

Any questions with regard to the build please ask away.

cheers

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

Glad the op went well and hope the recovery doesn't take too long. With those electrification works, I also wonder whether this was why at Wakefield Westgate in 1961 they demolished the old station canopies to build concrete ones that were further back from the main line and raised the footbridge. I have seen one picture where they referred to the bridge being raised to clear the new canopies but that seems like a lot of trouble to go and the possibility of electrification makes far more sense. Your new buildings and covering the platforms look brilliant. That is one strange signal though!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great you are back GN. Been 'out of the loop' for a few days (long story) and so have enjoyed some building spotting rather than trains for a change. Superb work GT.

By the way, were there any fruit pies available at the NHS Shed?

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

Today I can get my glasses on properly, but I don't think driving or golf will be a good idea for a few days yet, so you may get bombarded with photos. I thought it would be nice to see what a few trains look like when posed against the new buildings, so here goes.

post-98-0-69920300-1331051043_thumb.jpg

Erm.... actually this doesn't include any new buildings. :no: It's just a local V2 waiting to leave with the 1.12pm to Kings Cross.

post-98-0-44716800-1331051218_thumb.jpg

A close up of that strange signal on the Down platform, plus platform tops, which make a big difference, and a further illustration of lighting problems. That piece of card I have put in temporarily under the shelves is actually the same colour as those above it. I thought this might be an answer to at least one problem, but it isn't. :mad_mini:

post-98-0-26019200-1331051501_thumb.jpg

No locos, but some coaching stock framed by the Arcade wall and with the engine shed as a backdrop.

post-98-0-98120100-1331051673_thumb.jpg

The next train in the sequence was a New England - Ferme Park class F, rostered for a borrowed 02. I never miss an opportunity to take a photo, or several, of this loco, one of my all time favourite classes.

post-98-0-30991400-1331051867_thumb.jpg

I decided to follow her and her train along the Up main. Why is there an empty iron ore wagon behind the tender I hear you ask? Well, I'm short of barrier vehicles to run between tenders with kadees and stock with tension locks, so this will have to do till I get round to converting some more.

post-98-0-86662100-1331052082_thumb.jpg

A bit out of sequence here, but I'm sure you won't mind too much.

post-98-0-19511700-1331053190_thumb.jpg

This, I think, will be a really good shot when the proper overall roof is in place.

post-98-0-82842400-1331053317_thumb.jpg

This on the other hand is hardly worth bothering with, unless you think otherwise?

post-98-0-57111700-1331053417_thumb.jpg

This one is really a cropping experiment. Taking the top off signals is I think marginally better than seeing bookcases, but again I would appreciate your views.

post-98-0-70106300-1331053565_thumb.jpg

Another view from Crescent Bridge, which I like, but it does bring in more clutter.

post-98-0-46902100-1331053710_thumb.jpg

Last one for today, nearly bookcase free.

• Like 18

Glad to hear it went alright Gilbert. Hope the recovery goes just as well. :)

One of the things I adore about this thread is the way the photographs and your commentary give the whole that nostalgic edge - it's like reading through one of the many and wonderful photo albums of steam in the 1950s and 60s.

May I add, the weathering on the blood and custard stock illustrated above has a depth of subtlety to it that really hits the right notes for me.

• Like 4

The O2 really is a handsome loco! What do you think the chances are of a RTR O2 in the near future?

We've an O4/1 and O1 just announced. To convert to other O4 sub classes conversions are possible. I think therefore in the short to medium term an O2 is not that likely. However, as the number of modelable prototypes diminishes it's not inconcieveable.

Personally I'd like to see A K1 and a J 0-6-0 of some description produced first.

Apologies to Gilbert for jumping in.

• Like 2

We've an O4/1 and O1 just announced. To convert to other O4 sub classes conversions are possible.

Hi David

Bill Bedford has a resin body available for the 04/5 to convert the Bachmann model with the 04/7, 04/8 and 05 to follow.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

The O2 really is a handsome loco! What do you think the chances are of a RTR O2 in the near future?

We have a Bachmann LNER 2.8.0, with as has been said a number of possible variations that can be done. Soon(ish) we shall also have a Hornby LNER 2.8.0. I really can't see the likelihood of any more being announced in the short to medium term, and if it did happen there are areas, NER for one,which still have nothing at all, and which might therefore come first. I hope I'm wrong, as I would like some more, but I don't see it as likely.

Guest Tom F

A lovely collection of photos once more Gilbert. May I ask what kit the O2 is? It looks better than PDKs, valve gear in particular.

• RMweb Premium

A lovely collection of photos once more Gilbert. May I ask what kit the O2 is? It looks better than PDKs, valve gear in particular.

It's the PDK kit. Tom - John Houlden built it. The only other kit I know of is the old Nu Cast one, if you can still get one. I wouldn't, it's stone age stuff, which to be fair isn't surprising, as it appeared round about 1973/4.

• Like 2

Guest Tom F

It's the PDK kit. Tom - John Houlden built it. The only other kit I know of is the old Nu Cast one, if you can still get one. I wouldn't, it's stone age stuff, which to be fair isn't surprising, as it appeared round about 1973/4.

It crossed my mind after I had written....it just looks a lot better than on their website. John did a fab job on her!

Thanks Gilbert :)

Edited by Tom F

Guest Tom F

I couldn't agree more; I've tried to have a peep into the future, hope you don't mind!

post-1-0-47007300-1331066597_thumb.jpg

Oh nice Andy....very very nice! :yes:

• Like 1

Peter,

I recently showed the building pics to a mate who makes a living from building and detailing models and he was blown away by the realism of your work :good: .

Apologies to Gilbert for the thread hijack

Kev

• Like 1

Sorry to bring headlamps up again Gilbert,but your photos of '3940 with No. 3 speed lamps,and no fitted wagons next to the engine ! ,and you're calling it a class F again (No.4 speed).I'll forgive you though this time,as I realize you just wanted to see some trains running without too much eye strain,and to hell with what lamps are on the front . I well remember '3940 ,firing on it many a time at Grantham,from where it's been borrowed I assume!,and usually with iron ore tipplers behind,which were rare at Peterboro' I would have thought,as you say.

It certainly would be nice to see a RTR "Tango",as others have said.I think I spent more time on them than any other engine in my time at Grantham . The pdk kit is nice,though I doubt I'll ever get round to build now

Best wishes ,hope your eyes keep on the mend.

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't agree more; I've tried to have a peep into the future, hope you don't mind!

post-1-0-47007300-1331066597_thumb.jpg

That's brilliant Andy - many thanks. I shall be nagging Peter even more now! I thought the roof would make a big difference and now you've let me see exactly how much, and it's even better than i thought. I've no idea how you did it, but I certainly don't mind. Feel free to play with anything I post if it produces results like this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to bring headlamps up again Gilbert,but your photos of '3940 with No. 3 speed lamps,and no fitted wagons next to the engine ! ,and you're calling it a class F again (No.4 speed).I'll forgive you though this time,as I realize you just wanted to see some trains running without too much eye strain,and to hell with what lamps are on the front . I well remember '3940 ,firing on it many a time at Grantham,from where it's been borrowed I assume!,and usually with iron ore tipplers behind,which were rare at Peterboro' I would have thought,as you say.

It certainly would be nice to see a RTR "Tango",as others have said.I think I spent more time on them than any other engine in my time at Grantham . The pdk kit is nice,though I doubt I'll ever get round to build now

Best wishes ,hope your eyes keep on the mend.

Oh dear! Sorry Roy. You're quite right - I just picked up the 02 as I wanted to see it run and didn't check the lamps. I can't blame the state of my eyes though, it was just me being inattentive. I've just been up to try to put it right, forgetting that I have an eye shield on, and no glasses.. It would be wise I think if I didn't try to post anything else tonight, as I can't read anything more than about a foot away. Having peered at this, I can't see any typos.

Gilbert,

its good to know that the operation has been a success, just feel I am awaiting a Train back to the "Smoke" in 1959 after a holiday with family in Grantham.Tell me is the Peterborough North sign a bit Large, I seem to recall it is only temporary.Not for one minute wishing to be critical.Andy Y,s roof is unreal it looks so REAL,if that makes sense.

Regards.

• Like 1