Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've been doing some more running this morning. Of course I would not dream of pointing the finger at any of the distinguished guests who were with me on Monday, :no: but I do wish to record that nothing fell off, and all locomotives responded when called upon, and completed their duties without failing. Where's the Jonah emoticon?

Anyway, here are a few more shots of happenings around 1215-1245pm back in 1958.

post-98-0-21820900-1344430136_thumb.jpg

Here's the 1218 Peterborough East- Leicester, not much of a task for Leicester Midland's nearly new Standard 4. No doubt the crew are enjoying all the mod cons though.

post-98-0-70062100-1344430284_thumb.jpg

The 1000 Leeds- KX was the return working of the Top link A4 that took the previous evening's Down Yorkshire Pullman. Walter K Whigham was apparently always one of Top Shed's best, though not the most romantic choice of name.

post-98-0-24133100-1344430546_thumb.jpg

Quite a lot of motive power on view here. Sir Walter is about to pass the relief A4 for the 1100 KX- Glasgow which is waiting in the Down bay, while the V2 standing as main line pilot and a couple of station pilots are in the old engine shed yard.

post-98-0-25973900-1344430773_thumb.jpg

Sir Walter has departed, but yet another A4 is now arriving with the Glasgow. We shall be dealing with the shiny platform surfaces this weekend.

post-98-0-40319800-1344430939_thumb.jpg

For those with spotting notebooks at the ready, the identity of the approaching A4 is now clear.

post-98-0-39583700-1344431090_thumb.jpg

Two for the price of one here, and a somewhat rarer bird's identity confirmed. Personally I prefer the bird names for A4's, though I admit that Gannet is not quite as evocative as Golden Eagle. Both are better than Pochard though. I wonder what the travelling public made of that?

post-98-0-28369400-1344431216_thumb.jpg

And a close up of Golden Eagle, which apparently was not one of Gateshead's finest by any means. She's looking tired, but is shortly due to go into works where she will become one of the last A4's to get a double kylchap, which will transform her performance. I would think the crew would not have minded too much being given this for the Up Edinburgh- Colchester which brought her here a few hours ago, but the Glasgow, being more tightly timed, will be a different proposition.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 14

Proof of the need for another Loco purchase required Gilbert. From a thread on here

Some 1960s Eastern Region steam pictures.

on Ron Fisher's page on "Flicker"

R0510. 63768 at New England shed, Peterborough. September, 1960.

1960/09.R510. O1 class 2-8-0 63768. The O1s were introduced by Edward Thompson in 1944 and were rebuilds of earlier Great Central O4 class 2-8-0s. They had new boilers and Walschaerts valve gear.

New England (34E) Peterborough, September, 1960.

Copyright © Ron Fisher.

Just trying to be of help Gilbert.

Honest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Proof of the need for another Loco purchase required Gilbert. From a thread on here

Some 1960s Eastern Region steam pictures.

on Ron Fisher's page on "Flicker"

R0510. 63768 at New England shed, Peterborough. September, 1960.

1960/09.R510. O1 class 2-8-0 63768. The O1s were introduced by Edward Thompson in 1944 and were rebuilds of earlier Great Central O4 class 2-8-0s. They had new boilers and Walschaerts valve gear.

New England (34E) Peterborough, September, 1960.

Copyright © Ron Fisher.

Just trying to be of help Gilbert.

Honest.

Of course you are Derek, I know that. As it happens, I've already decided to get an 01, firstly because I think the manufacturers should be supported when they produce less glamorous types of loco in order to get them to produce even more, but also because the March 01's definitely worked through Peterborough North. I have photos to prove it. I admit they were all on the Midland lines which I don't have, but if those were blocked for any reason they would have to come through the GN part, would'nt they? Incorrigible? Moi?

I have to be careful though about photos of locos on New England shed, as a lot of them unfortunately didn't get any futher South than that.

• Like 6

I do not like to see dirty A4's! Ah, got that off my chest then. :thankyou: Admittedly the last time I saw them in regular service was in 1961 when they had future visits to works to look forward to, unlike the locos seen on most railway videos where all were within months of withdrawal. But 'Golden Eagle' looks like it has been put on a new unweathered chassis.

• RMweb Gold

I do not like to see dirty A4's! Ah, got that off my chest then. :thankyou:

Alas a certain shed on the south bank of the River Tyne was more than adept at turning them out in that state - and they seemed to be some of its better kept engines. But in the late '50s there were some downright filthy examples to be seen - far worse than 'Golden Eagle'.

Some interesting modelling debate ensued,

Didn't it just! It was an excellent evening although we didn't seem to get much chatting about Peterborough done as Mr W was on excellent form. I shall certainly be keeping a close and interested eye on the topic after the weekend. :)

I also look forward to hearing tales of the impending masterclasses.

• Like 1

Alas a certain shed on the south bank of the River Tyne was more than adept at turning them out in that state - and they seemed to be some of its better kept engines. But in the late '50s there were some downright filthy examples to be seen - far worse than 'Golden Eagle'.

Not to mention a certain shed by the River Ouse..... There's a far filthier pacific from that shed in the PN fleet! ;)

• Like 3

Guest Tom F

Not to mention a certain shed by the River Ouse..... There's a far filthier pacific from that shed in the PN fleet! ;)

No comment....

• RMweb Premium

Now that is something to behold.......makes my building work look like Airfix Kits :paint: There are a couple of 'through 'shots looking under the canopy that look just like the real place (so your phots are getting really good Gilbert).

I shall go outside and think of how I can improve my scenic skills; I may be sometime.

P @ 36E

• Like 1

You know Gilbert, I've been looking forward to seeing these photos for a while now. Every time I visit, something has always changed or been added to, so it'll be a real pleasure to see these new arrivals in the flesh in a few weeks time :).

You can bet a certain new (to you) pacific will look rather fine emerging from underneath that roof from the north ;)

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic - and every other superlative! A privilege to look at something so magnificent. And that's just the buildings - nevermind the locos and stock. A real pleasure working through this thread.

Jeff

• Like 1