BRM Spring + Traction! It's on-sale NOW!

SteveCole

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Wait? There is more? 

I'm a digital subscriber. The only link I've seen is on the front page, to watch the trains go by. 

Message me your email address and I'll sort.

• Like 1

Thanks again Steve, the two hitherto "missing" items were well worth waiting for- Phil's article was brilliant and clearly showed what I failed to do when recently painting stonework and Tony-well, inspired and erudite as ever when achieving (for me anyroad) the impossible. Very many thanks to both gentlemen.

Very best wishes, Tim

• Thanks 1

The cover price of the March edition is £9.99.  The reason for this, I can only gather, is becuase it is a 180 page special and includes the section of TRACTION magazine and a CD.  The 32 pages of TRACTION magazine have simply been lifted from a sister publication and while they may provide associated interest, I suspect the audience is quite limited.  I also notice at the end of this 32 page section the line: "To be concluded in TRACTION 280".  So even if you are interested in this subject matter you don't actually get that entire article.  I'm afraid I didn't pay attention at the newsagents when I bought this edition so getting it home and discovering I had paid ten pounds for a magazine becuase it contains an additional 32 pages of a subject I have absolutely no interest in and has no value whatsoever to the majority of model railway enthusiasts led me to write an e-mail to the editorial and publishing team.  Reading the editorial comment in this edition, which states quite clearly that this process is to be repeated simply confirmed my decision not to buy another copy of BRM again.

I am also aware of a freind who telephoned the editorial team with a similar complaint and was informed that it is his responsibility to check the price before buying.

I would be very much interested in the forum's views on this.

Edited by Bunkerbarge

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Bunkerbarge said:

I would be very much interested in the forum's views on this

The previous issue at £9.99 had a DVD, not a CD, whereas the current issue, without a DVD, is a lower price. Please compare like with like if you're grumbling.

Overall there's been a positive sales reaction to the combined mag with, overall, more value.

Sadly, pretty much as I expected simply writing off feedback as grumbling with a condescending comment and avoiding the point being made regarding the inclusion of 32 pages of irrelevent content as a means of justifying a huge price hike.  If the only reply from the moderating team is to be as equally dismissive as that from the editorial team it only confirms what I see as a lack of respect for the readership. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Plenty still sitting on shelves in at least two Smiths that i have seen. No idea if that means no one's buying or more have been printed.

The retail price is in a corner of the capital "B", in tiny numbers on the current issue, in case anyone else gets caught out.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bunkerbarge said:

Sadly, pretty much as I expected simply writing off feedback as grumbling with a condescending comment and avoiding the point being made regarding the inclusion of 32 pages of irrelevent content as a means of justifying a huge price hike.  If the only reply from the moderating team is to be as equally dismissive as that from the editorial team it only confirms what I see as a lack of respect for the readership. 

Horses for courses I suspect, what you don't like others will.  Your comment about getting home and discovering you'd paid £10 simply shows that like many people you pick something up and go pay with a card and don't look at the total. I'll make that assumption as if you'd paid cash you know how much you would have paid. I cannot dispute the advice your friend was given by BRM that it is your responsibility to check - nobody should ever tap their card or enter a PIN without checking the total.

Also you say "simply writing off feedback as grumbling with a condescending comment" - what exactly did you expect to happen? Oh we are sorry here is a refund? Thanks for your feedback we won't do it again? I suspect whatever response you received you would not have been happy about because you chose to purchase something, without looking at the price, without looking at the amount the retailer was charging you and then feel annoyed that you made a mistake because you assumed something.  Dont worry, we've all done it, we've all got home and muttered swear words to ourselves, but then we realise it's just a small thing and watch in the future. To say that you'll never buy another copy of BRM again is, in my view, a total over reaction to the situation.

TO balance this argument a bit, can I add that I know of two people who have both bought this issue of BRM specifically because Traction was included, both of them are modellers, one very rarely buys BRM unless there is an article he wants to read, the other is a semi-regular reader who purchases it may 5-6 times a year.  Both mentioned it to me and said they had bought BRM to have a good read and the addition of 'Traction' was a great advantage.  So it really is a case of what suits one might not suit another.

I am not sure how this works, but also consider if you had BRM on subscription from the publishers, I doubt you would have been charged extra for the bigger issue - I am assuming that subscribers got the same bumper edition as everyone else.  However, writing and making views know in a polite way, whether for or against any ideas such as this, surely has to be recommended or  how else does the editorial team know what readers want, and whether they like ideas or not?  

@AY Mod how does the different in price work with the digital edition of the magazine for those that buy individual issues?

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

@AY Mod how does the different in price work with the digital edition of the magazine for those that buy individual issues?

Looking at our back issues page https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues/british-railway-modelling shows we're still charging the same price for the combined issue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bunkerbarge said:

If the only reply from the moderating team is to be as equally dismissive as that from the editorial team it only confirms what I see as a lack of respect for the readership. 

I have tremendous respect for the readership so don't tell me what you think I am or am not doing. 

I'm not responding to the other comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stefen1988 said:

Magazine says "Spring 2024" - did the BRM Magazine switched to a quarter release instead of a monthly?

There has been 13 issues per year for a while now, with the Spring edition being published between the March and April copies.

Steve

• Thanks 1