R60092 BR Newspaper van

Andy1963

I recently purchased a rake of three of the above from a certain retailer based in Sheffield.  No complaints about the retailer, but these were sold as Hornby products, not the Railroad or Railroad plus range by the manufacturer and retailed at over £48. I knew before I purchased them they were old Lima models.  I have one of the Lima GUV's and have always though it a decent model.  On arrival of the Hornby version, I was shocked to find that it had the old 1970s style moulded huge D ring couplings.  Shocked because my Lima version has NEM pockets.  Lima had clearly modified the tool to remove the D ring and cut an NEM pocket into the tooling making for a reasonable coupling and the flexibility to fit whatever coupling I want. Why Hornby have used an unmodified bogie tool and reverted to the old style coupling, I have no idea, and I have no idea why they think it's acceptable to produce the model with the large D ring couplings.  I wrote to Hornby customer services and got a reply saying they would pass my comments on to the relevant department, but I have heard nothing since.  If this model had been sold as a Railroad range model, I might have expected it to have the large D ring couplings, but it wasn't and it's 2024. Of course I can and will modify the couplings, but in 2024 I shouldn't have to be cutting and shutting models that are sold under a premium brand name.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy1963 said:

I recently purchased a rake of three of the above from a certain retailer based in Sheffield.  No complaints about the retailer, but these were sold as Hornby products, not the Railroad or Railroad plus range by the manufacturer and retailed at over £48. I knew before I purchased them they were old Lima models.  I have one of the Lima GUV's and have always though it a decent model.  On arrival of the Hornby version, I was shocked to find that it had the old 1970s style moulded huge D ring couplings.  Shocked because my Lima version has NEM pockets.  Lima had clearly modified the tool to remove the D ring and cut an NEM pocket into the tooling making for a reasonable coupling and the flexibility to fit whatever coupling I want. Why Hornby have used an unmodified bogie tool and reverted to the old style coupling, I have no idea, and I have no idea why they think it's acceptable to produce the model with the large D ring couplings.  I wrote to Hornby customer services and got a reply saying they would pass my comments on to the relevant department, but I have heard nothing since.  If this model had been sold as a Railroad range model, I might have expected it to have the large D ring couplings, but it wasn't and it's 2024. Of course I can and will modify the couplings, but in 2024 I shouldn't have to be cutting and shutting models that are sold under a premium brand name.

Send them back to your retailer and get a refund. 

• Agree 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Andy1963 said:

No, I shall modify them thanks, but the point is, you shouldn't have to.

You got what you ordered, the law permits you to return them. Anything else is just a moan because you made a poor judgement for your requirements before purchase.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• AY Mod locked this topic