RMweb

Conflats as '03' runners

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Looking at making 2 or 03 runners for my 03s very few decent pictures of them 

I'm wondering if the conflat Ls that were used had the cutouts for the 3 bottom discharge containers plated over or just left

Can a decent model be made from the triang conflat L?

The conflat As is seen pictures of some seem to have bullhead rail as weights but not all. Quite a few seem to have fairly rough decks, some but not all have 08 style electric lighting 

Anymore information gratefully received 

• RMweb Premium

Mostly just left by the looks of it. Some other changes made on some. Some views still available in this thread:

especially the second page.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, russ p said:

Looking at making 2 or 03 runners for my 03s very few decent pictures of them 

I'm wondering if the conflat Ls that were used had the cutouts for the 3 bottom discharge containers plated over or just left

Can a decent model be made from the triang conflat L?

The conflat As is seen pictures of some seem to have bullhead rail as weights but not all. Quite a few seem to have fairly rough decks, some but not all have 08 style electric lighting 

Anymore information gratefully received 

The CONFLAT Ls were not, as far as I am aware, intended to discharge loaded L containers whilst they were still on the wagon.

The Tri-ang CONFLAT L is too short, and the containers are under-scale.

See Ironmink on Thingiverse for 3D printable designs for accurate CONFLAT Ls and L containers.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The CONFLAT Ls were not, as far as I am aware, intended to discharge loaded L containers whilst they were still on the wagon. ...

... but the deck of the wagon was pierced to accept the hopper bottom of the 'L' container

138_27.jpg.3fb5a24d9ee3edc00c156bccf3be5183.jpg

... and the holes were not plated over on this one at least : number illegible ( with 03.399 ) Norwich, 11/9/85.

Edited by Wickham Green too
spilling orrer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... but the deck of the wagon was pierced to accept the hopper bottom of the 'L' container :

...... or to ensure that there was no build-up of hardened, spilled limestone on the floor - which would prevent the seating of the containers within the corner locations welded to the floor.

The first iteration of the CONFLAT L had much smaller, circular holes in the floor - though what this tells us, I'm not sure!

CJI.

PS. I believe that the hexagonal (octagonal?) holes were obstructed by the underframe members.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Stretch37266 said:

Bill Bedford does a etched kit for the conflat L shunter runner

Unfortunately I'm hopeless at soldering 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

...... or to ensure that there was no build-up of hardened, spilled cement on the floor - which would prevent the seating of the containers within the corner locations welded to the floor. ...

I've now found a drawing of the L container in Don Rowland's 'British Railways Wagons' ( Fig.98 ) : no hopper but a two-part opening bottom - so leaked limestone dust could have been a little problematic ( Were they used for cement too ? ).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

For those who are not aware, I can provide a sheet of transfers for the East Anglian CONFLAT shunter runners.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Morning John,  I didn't realise this as you

Russ

Norwich station pilot on the 19th June 1976 is 03086 and it is seen here pottering around the station throat. In standard Eastern Region practice 03086 is attached to a “Loco Runner” which was provided to ensure that the short wheel base of the 03 reliably operated the track circuiting arrangements found in the station areas where they tended to work. The “Runner” attached to 03086 is TDB733647 is a modified diagram 1/066 14 ton “Conflat L” container flat wagon, one of only 500 built to this diagram at Ashford in 1955. It is also branded “Ipswich Loco Runner” and seems to have strayed from home.

03086 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/15715678670/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

h

The cat decided to delete my post...

There has been a photo on RMWeb, of Conlflat Ls beiing unloaded at Bridgewater in the late 1950s. They were being emptied into tipper lorries fitted with hoods, but the load is visible. There are Presflos in the same view, suggesting different grades of cement.

As to whether the containers could be unloaded whilst still on the wagon.. This would be very difficult, as the cutout on the floor was on a diagonal axis in comparison to the wagon floor.

• Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

As to whether the containers could be unloaded whilst still on the wagon.. This would be very difficult, as the cutout on the floor was on a diagonal axis in comparison to the wagon floor.

Err no. The cutouts were three hexagonal holes each centred on the corner brackets for the containers. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Err no. The cutouts were three hexagonal holes each centred on the corner brackets for the containers. 

There were, of course, two designs of CONFLAT L - one with drop-down sides like a LOWFIT and circular floor holes, the other without sides and hexagonal holes; (at least, that's the combination that I recall without checking).

The circular holes were, I seem to remember, on a diagonal alignment.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, russ p said:

Unfortunately I'm hopeless at soldering 

Russ I will have to confess to being in same boat. So far my recently acquired kit is going together ok but no one will be invited to look underneath… In a similar vein I won’t be posting any pictures of it until it is near finished and the cc transfers are on. It is certainly a good kit. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

Here’s one I made earlier. Parkside chassis with plasticard top and the chain pockets cut off a Triang Conflat L

A54AA6C5-2985-4A6E-9D38-7833AB889F70.jpeg.f281fd02aa2171e89c0f5a378fcd6efb.jpeg

I've got a couple of triang ones I'm thinking about doing something with 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've got a couple of triang ones I'm thinking about doing something with 

The Tri-ang ones are too short; (and the L containers are undersized).

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1