Hattons final farewell message

RichardT

• RMweb Premium

Well said Andy. Hattons have been a part of my life since I was 6 years old and living on Merseyside. I will miss them. Good luck to all the people who worked there, I hope things work out well for everyone and thank you.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was touched by my message from Richard Davies. It is the first time any model shop has thanked me for my custom and probably the first time anyone has thanked me for doing anything.

I started ordering items from Hattons in August1966 when I ordered six Hornby Dublo Pullman cars which I have still got. They arrived while I was on holiday in the Isle of Wight with my 0'level results as my post had been diverted to my holiday address.

Over the last 20 years I have been keeping my Hattons receipts which amount to 100. I was surprised by how many model cars I had ordered.

I have also kept a couple of their Best Sellers Brochures. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yes very touching . Truly you can say they did it well right to the end . Not many businesses can say that . Well done and best wishes to all 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I’m sitting in a hotel in Glasgow ready to go off to Model Rail Scotland tomorrow when I checked my e-mails and saw this.

Sad. Poignant. Touching. Appropriate.

All of those and more - but typical of the personal  way in which Hattons have dealt with their customers over all of these years.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I’m sitting in a hotel in Glasgow ready to go off to Model Rail Scotland tomorrow when I checked my e-mails and saw this.

Sad. Poignant. Touching. Appropriate.

All of those and more - but typical of the personal  way in which Hattons have dealt with their customers over all of these years.

Also sitting in a hotel in Glasgow with same Saturday mission!!

I don’t know the individuals involved but am a past Hattons customer with, at times, an almost constant procession of boxes wrapped with string.

anyway the impression I get from Richard’s post is that he is the boss that I aspire to be - someone who cares about his team and has high integrity.  Top bloke by the sounds of it and I hope he (and his previous team) go on to other successful ventures.  Sad to see the end of Hattons but happy to see them end in a respectful way rather than going out with debts and leaving people high and dry.  Sadly this is a rare thing these days…

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Perhaps not all doom and the name lives on

We are pleased to announce that we have now brought “Hattons Model Railways” into the Rails family!

It was a shock to the modelling world earlier this year, when stalwart of the industry, Hattons, announced that it was to close.

At Rails, we could not allow the legacy of this esteemed brand to disappear and we have sought a way to keep the spirit of Hattons alive.

Many customers reached out to us, dismayed, that the valuable resources on the Hattons website such as the product database and expansive “Directory” system may be lost forever. Rails will soon relaunch these services and will continue to update them with new information.

While the original Hattons store and business will remain closed, this iconic brand

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

On 12/03/2024 at 18:49, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Many customers reached out to us, dismayed, that the valuable resources on the Hattons website such as the product database and expansive “Directory” system may be lost forever. Rails will soon relaunch these services and will continue to update them with new information.

The best part of their web site/marketing/sales system for me was their Trunk (and pre-Trunk) since it enabled me to gather deliveries together into a bundle, making the best use of combined delivery.  So here's a vote for Rails to roll that on.
I've been both a satisfied customer of both Rails and Hattons in the past (and looking forward to receiving some of the new batch of Hattons' Genesis coaches through Rails very soon)  :-)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, rasalmon said:

The best part of their web site/marketing/sales system for me was their Trunk (and pre-Trunk) since it enabled me to gather deliveries together into a bundle, making the best use of combined delivery.  So here's a vote for Rails to roll that on.
I've been both a satisfied customer of both Rails and Hattons in the past (and looking forward to receiving some of the new batch of Hattons' Genesis coaches through Rails very soon)  :-)

Totally agree about the trunk. For overseas customers it was an absolute game-changer.

• Agree 3