Farewell Shenfield Shark

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Sadly it has gone. If there was ever something that deserved to be rescued it was this.

Why?

Its not as though it was the only Shark brakeman in existence nor was it special in any way (other than being marooned at Shenfield for decades).

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Why?

Its not as though it was the only Shark brakeman in existence nor was it special in any way (other than being marooned at Shenfield for decades).

Exactly this - it was such a "part of the furniture" whichever museum (should have) ended up with it would have had a celebrity exhibit. I know people with industry influence tried so they obviously thought it worth it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Exactly this - it was such a "part of the furniture" whichever museum (should have) ended up with it would have had a celebrity exhibit. I know people with industry influence tried so they obviously thought it worth it.

I really don't see how a brakeman being sat at the end of a siding for decades can be counted as a 'celebrity' - by that same thought process the open wagon which has been sitting in the siding by the north portal of Haywards Heath tunnel must also be a 'celebrity'

As for people with industry influence trying to save it - with respect even within the industry its very easy for people to overvalue something and elevate in their mind to have a status which is not warranted in a wider context.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I really don't see how a brakeman being sat at the end of a siding for decades can be counted as a 'celebrity' - by that same thought process the open wagon which has been sitting in the siding by the north portal of Haywards Heath tunnel must also be a 'celebrity'

As for people with industry influence trying to save it - with respect even within the industry its very easy for people to overvalue something and elevate in their mind to have a status which is not warranted in a wider context.

And yet there are an awful lot of mentions, photos and even articles about it on the internet and in magazines. You can buy photos of it on ebay (not sure who would) .Would there be a "farewell" thread on here for the Haywards Heath one when it eventually goes?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

And yet there are an awful lot of mentions, photos and even articles about it on the internet and in magazines. You can buy photos of it on ebay (not sure who would) .

Indeed there are but I still don't buy into the theory that makes something a celebrity in its own right as it were, particularly given the words overuse in social media and the way its become something lots of people seemingly seek to be.

Rather its just the normal human reaction when something unusual / out of the ordinary happens - and a wagon sitting in public view for so long and gradually deteriorating as the weather takes its toll will naturally become a talking point etc, particularly when it finally disappears.

28 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Because for some of us, it has been a part of our lives for years - I always looked out for it every time I went through Shenfield. Even non-enthusiasts are aware of it, because it was right next to a busy platform with thousands of commuters passing it daily. And, with a few preserved lines in the County, there was always the hope that it would one day be saved. Some of us enthusiasts develop quite romantic attachments to old railway equipment, for some reason...

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Because for some of us, it has been a part of our lives for years - I always looked out for it every time I went through Shenfield. Even non-enthusiasts are aware of it, because it was right next to a busy platform with thousands of commuters passing it daily. And, with a few preserved lines in the County, there was always the hope that it would one day be saved. Some of us enthusiasts develop quite romantic attachments to old railway equipment, for some reason...

Indeed - and I do understand that. But romantic attachments can blind to the true value of something plus don't always align with what is practical or justifiable in cost terms.

In the case of the Shenfield shark I seem to recall the problem it was manifestly unfit to be hauled by rail but its location under 25KV OLE and right next to a running line meant repairs were programmatic and it was impossible to recover by any other means.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed - and I do understand that. But romantic attachments can blind to the true value of something plus don't always align with what is practical or justifiable in cost terms.

In the case of the Shenfield shark I seem to recall the problem it was manifestly unfit to be hauled by rail but its location under 25KV OLE and right next to a running line meant repairs were programmatic and it was impossible to recover by any other means.

Absolutely - I'm not questioning the logic, just saddened by its passing!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

I really don't see how a brakeman being sat at the end of a siding for decades can be counted as a 'celebrity' 

A brakeman would definitely attain celebrity status if he had sat at the end of a siding for decades! 

He'd probably attain piles as well.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

There was some stuff about this on Facebook groups including from the man behind the Mangapps railway, and apparently various interested bodies had looked into saving it but came up against insurmountable difficulties.

Mostly due to the proximity to a live railway with live overhead wires.  I think it was said that it would have needed a possession and partial dismantling of the overheads to crane it out.

Apparently there were obstacles to getting it out by road on the side of the station where it was (overhead line structures in the way I think, not being too familiar with Shenfield station by road myself I’m not in a position to say).

There had been a proposal years ago to get it out on wheel skates to Chelmsford low level yard for taking by road from there, and that would have meant finding a long enough gap in traffic, but apparently the price wanted by EWS as it then was was the killer.

The general consensus seemed to be that it was now too far gone to justify the effort, especially as there are other Sharks on heritage railways already anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The Shenfield Shark was more than a puffer nutters celebrity, it was part of the traveling experience to London for many from Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. To hear children say "Mum, look that old truck is still there" as they pointed to the Shark sums up how important it was.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not being familiar with Sheffield station and this van, had the Shark been moved from one end of the station to the other?

Google Maps and the first photo on the Facebook link, show it at the eastern (Rayleigh Road) end of the station, but the scrapping has occurred at the western (London) end, by the car park.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not being familiar with Sheffield station and this van, had the Shark been moved from one end of the station to the other?

Google Maps and the first photo on the Facebook link, show it at the eastern (Rayleigh Road) end of the station, but the scrapping has occurred at the western (London) end, by the car park.

That is what I thought as well when I looked at Google maps

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I am sure the digger thing they used to break it up was able to drag it along 500ft of track.

No matter how the shifted it it is now gone and will be missed for the next few days.