Frog Juicers and sound locos

1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

You could still fit a micro-switch to change the polarity, even on a manually operated point, so much cheaper than a frog juicer.

Um, for at least one of my points, no, you couldn't.

This point/turnout/actually, as it's American, it's a switch..... here's this one, (O scale) in place with Caboose Industries ground throw by it.

20220717_161358.jpg.c873fdcedb58d4e3418a1d78bf82aa73.jpg

THIS is the view underneath at that part of the layout :-

20201223_131959.jpg.0fa95e27160b3b2b9975eab6bf7ebd8a.jpg

My 'baseboards' are 2inch thick extruded styrofoam, and the location of that point/turnout/switch is smack bang over the brick wall that's hidden inside the drywall (plasterboard) at this location. There is NO underside access to the tie bar of the point/turnout/switch, and the thick styrofoam base makes underside access to the other points/turnouts/switches on the layout, equally difficult for mechanical connection of an electrical switch, micro or otherwise.

Wiring the frog to the frog juicer, visible underneath, was far easier. And as I said before, I don't give a flying whatever that it's 'more expensive'. 

I have used micro switches on a previous, portable layout; on THIS layout, this was MY choice and the easiest option for the circumstances, and no amount of "but this" or "but that" - usually focusing on cost - will change my decision, or those particular circumstances.

Thank you. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

It would still be possible, above board, but more importantly, my point is that newcomers need to be aware that

frog-juicers are not the only option, and if they're on a budget, it's only fair that they know about alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

...more importantly, my point is that newcomers need to be aware that frog-juicers are not the only option, and if they're on a budget, it's only fair that they know about alternatives.

A point that gets made repeatedly, ad nauseum, almost every single time frog juicers ever get mentioned on RMweb, and regardless of any comments made by others as to why they have opted to use them.

I'm sure beginners/limited spending modellers* will check what options are out there to suit their circumstances; it's easy enough these days.

*In plenty of areas of my modelling, I'm on a budget too, amazingly enough.

• Agree 2

No more than the point made (ad nauseum) that frog juicers are the best, and only, solution.

I'm bowing out now, it's become a bit repetitive and boring, g'night.

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

You could still fit a micro-switch to change the polarity, even on a manually operated point, so much cheaper than a frog juicer.

You could, but not every "layout assembler" is capapble of fabricating a micro-switch to do the task reliably.

On 16/03/2024 at 20:38, WIMorrison said:

Surely at the price that these devices are it is much more cost effective to use a motor with a built in switch that changes the frog polarity?

They seem a very expensive solution for something that has already been solved for many years.

On our layout where they are in use, we have hand operated points (fiddleyard entry/exit) and 2 of the frogs are on a diamond.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have used the Gaugemaster ones for one point each on Brent and Wheal Imogen (due to a failed tortoise switch on the former and a hand operated point on the latter).  No issues in either case with Co Co diesel sounds, not tried anything smaller.  While I will continue using the built in switches where possible to save money, I am more than happy to wire these in as replacements when I get a failed switch, its a lot quicker than wiring in the other tortoise switch (assuming it also still works)

• Like 4