Frog Juicers and sound locos

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I'm over worrying but I am a bit naive in the DCC department - does the speed of work of the frog juicer (Tam Valley is my probable choice atm) always guarantee that sound locos don't momentarily cut out from the "short" with all the annoying restart issues that ensue?

Thanks

ChrisH

• RMweb Gold

The layout in question is now dismantled, but I’m pretty sure that my sound locos passed through my reversing loop, powered by a Gaugemaster auto reverse unit.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Simple answer - yes.  In my experience using a Tam Valley Frog Juicer it has always switched polarity quickly enough to avoid any interrupt in sound (or hesitation in movement on non-stay alive fitted locos).

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Ask Lord Bullock of Abbotswood @Phil Bullock

Andi

So all the points on the previous incarnation of Abbotswood had Tam Valley frog juicers. On the current layout they are only used on diamonds and reversing loops. They are solid state not relays.

We are totally DCC sound … and there are zero issues with them, they do their work without any indication they are there … polarity switching instantaneous. Take a look at layout videos in signature to see them in action … but you won’t notice them!

No connection with firm just a very satisfied customer 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have used both the Tam Valley and  Gaugemaster ones with sound locos in OO, HO ,009 and N scales with no issues except for the Gaugemaster ones with 009 locos where the locos would stall on the frogs, so were replaced with Tam Valley ones. Oddly the Gaugemaster ones have worked fine with both UK and American N scale.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

We had a group of turnouts and a diamond needing 6 frogs controlled. We first fitted solid state juicers but 2 kept blowing.

We've now changed to Gaugemaster solid state and they have proved very reliable on an intensive exhibition layout.

Would recommend.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

We had a group of turnouts and a diamond needing 6 frogs controlled. We first fitted solid state juicers but 2 kept blowing.

We've now changed to Gaugemaster solid state and they have proved very reliable on an intensive exhibition layout.

Would recommend.

Dave.

The Gaugemaster DCC80 Frog Juicer is relay based and not fully electronic, if that’s what you mean by “solid state”.

• Like 1

I have both Tam Valley (electronic) and Gaugemaster (relay) types in use currently on Newton Broadway, and neither type causes any problems with any if my sound locos in OO.

The only problems I have encountered with both types really involved faulty pickups on a couple of non-sound, short wheelbase locos (so not the frog juicers at fault). They simply weren't triggering the switchover of polarity because they weren't shorting the points out in the first place - the effective wheelbase was confined to being one axle due to the other one or two not picking up, and therefore unable to short out.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Would recommend.

Dave.

Another vote for Gaugemaster, dozens fitted on Wibdenshaw with no issues with sound fitted locos.

The only issues I had with the juicers was when using them with NCE CP6 "light bulb" circuit protectors which "blew" faster than the relay operated on the juicer, further experimentation required on that issue!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I was underwhelmed by the Gaugemaster ones, I had one fail in short order. The Digitrax AR-1s were poor one, one never worked, another failed soon after. The Block Signalling ones are good, and are solid state. None of them had issues with sound fitted models. 

56 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another vote for Gaugemaster, dozens fitted on Wibdenshaw with no issues with sound fitted locos.

The only issues I had with the juicers was when using them with NCE CP6 "light bulb" circuit protectors which "blew" faster than the relay operated on the juicer, further experimentation required on that issue!

Mike.

That is why some recommend solid state juicers instead of relay ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I'm assuming, that as you're using a CP6, that you have an NCE PowerCab. The EB1 solid state circuit protector has been updated so it's now compatible with the PowerCab, so possibly something to consider?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Another here who has no issues with frog juicers and DCC sound. I've used the Tam Valley and NCE PowerCab combo on 3 layouts now, and they've all worked fine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We discovered that the problem with fully solid state juicers is the power rating capacity.

One loco mostly seems to be fine but beware of locos that draw more current than the juicer components can handle.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 14/03/2024 at 09:34, dasatcopthorne said:

We discovered that the problem with fully solid state juicers is the power rating capacity.

One loco mostly seems to be fine but beware of locos that draw more current than the juicer components can handle.

Dave.

Similarly, I've known of issues with solid state juicers requiring a minimum current (2a) that is higher than a Powercab with a wall-wart (1.8a).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2024 at 09:34, dasatcopthorne said:

Dave.

Gen is here…

Tam Valley frog juicers

• Informative/Useful 2

Surely at the price that these devices are it is much more cost effective to use a motor with a built in switch that changes the frog polarity?

They seem a very expensive solution for something that has already been solved for many years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Surely at the price that these devices are it is much more cost effective to use a motor with a built in switch that changes the frog polarity?

They seem a very expensive solution for something that has already been solved for many years.

😂😂😂 I wondered how long it would be before the old arguments would surface yet again.... 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️

I use them as I don't use point motors, or even sliding switches to change my points, but lineside ground throws. Whether others think that's a waste of my money is of no interest to me whatsoever.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I use them as I don't use point motors, or even sliding switches to change my points, but lineside ground throws. Whether others think that's a waste of my money is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Good on ya, I've been thinking of doing something similar for a few "off the grid" sidings that will never be operated by anything other than my trusty digit.  Little point in adding a motor and linking them into the computer side of things, I thought 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

😂😂😂 I wondered how long it would be before the old arguments would surface yet again.... 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️

You could still fit a micro-switch to change the polarity, even on a manually operated point, so much cheaper than a frog juicer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Two Tam ValleyFrog Juicers (6 inputs/outputs) in operation on my Layout, at close, complex and out of reach Xings and Points in close proximity. 8 years old now

The simplicity of the wiring and no need for switching is what they are there for. Not one of my Sound Locos has any issues whilst traversing them.

Otherwise on the Layout I use DC Switched Pointmotors from DCC Concepts on the in site areas and surface mounted simple Peco and Gaugemaster,  plus Micro Switches for the off scene Storage sidings. 

I may even use manual W.I. Tube style for a couple of Yard Sidings once I get around to completing that area of one Yard near the Station.

Edited by Mallard60022
Additional words.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1