Motor recommendations instead of Mashimas

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, 

I have a pair of LSWR B4s ,but I'm not sure what motor / gearbox combination is recommended now that Mashima's are no longer avaiable.

Can anyone recommend any please?

Thanks in advance

Mashima motors are still available from Branchlines and I bought one a couple of months ago. It depends on the size you need but it would be worth talking to Brian. I believe that he made a bulk purchase as manufacture was coming to an end.

As for alternatives i would suggest taking a look at the High Level website. I have used HL gearboxes for many years and recently I have had good results with the HL budget iron core motors. I have only used the 1015 and 1020 to date which are extremely good value at only £9.50 each. One of those should do the job for your B4 but Chris has other motors including the more expensive coreless ones. I am just about to experiment with one of those. 

Barry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The HL coreless motors are pretty good, good torque and better than the cheapo Chinese ones seen around (even if the HL ones are Chinese.....😉)

1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

I have just received a couple of HL 1020s which I have not yet run or installed.  I was a little surprised that the shafts aren't long enough for fly wheels.

The advantage of all the reduction one gets with a High Level gearbox is that the motor can turn at a speed that is sustainable while the locomotive just creeps along. No flywheel needed. 

• Agree 1

I have generally fitted fly wheels when there is room but must admit that that I cannot prove or demonstrate the advantages.  Being an old fashioned DC modeller I have also not experienced DCC stay-alive chip performance....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I have generally fitted fly wheels when there is room but must admit that that I cannot prove or demonstrate the advantages.  Being an old fashioned DC modeller I have also not experienced DCC stay-alive chip performance....

DCC stay-alive is purely to overcome interruptions in the track power, not for smooth stopping. Any DCC chip has a Configuration Value, set by the owner, and re-settable at a moment's notice, that governs how quickly or slowly a loco comes to a stand when the throttle is closed. Imagine a flywheel with almost infinitely adjustable powers.