Lowestoft station and sidings - pictures please

I have always wanted to model Lowestoft. That bit next to station in 1980. Pictures of Flickr are limited.

These are three I have found so far. Does anyone have any pictures they can post please? so there is a pool of pictures which I or others could use as reference.

00805 08868 Lowestoft Yard 05.06.85

20190216_103227

Lowestoft Cravens

Photo credits are in the links

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Thanks Andi.

Does it show the track layout as it was in 1980? I am not sure. I will look into it.

it looks very similar to what was there in the black and white photo with the Cravens unit

Edit: the important bit though, if a train leaves Lowestoft on your layout will it arrive at Ipswich on mine and hour or so later?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

There are also several photo books on the railways of Lowestoft - I  assume you have these?  I suppose a major change was the closure of the joint line to Yarmouth Southtown in 1970 (I was on the last train) and the various simplifications over the years, including the removal of the track on platform 1 and the lines to the docks.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Lowestoft was a busy railway location until comparatively recently.  Its train crew depot stayed open until mid 90s

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The signals in the yard were strange the bracket signal corresponded with the discs on one and two reception . An arm on the bracket took you out on to the main and disc onto the reception.  Also unusual was number 2 was nearest the mainline 

I've used lowestoft as a bit of an influence on my layout where there are houses with railway on both sides of them and the footbridge over sidings and running lines

20240119_161025.jpg

20231224_163035.jpg

20231130_161715.jpg

• Like 16

On 21/03/2024 at 17:50, SouthernBlue80s said:

Something that shows the track plan at the station end would be good.

Here's what Google Earth shows for ~1999:

2024-03-22_203243-Panorama.jpg.64186e190e6e4bc457e12b3270c71b5e.jpg

If you 'zoom in' to the above panorama, you'll easily make out the track layout.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

A few more pictures so I have them all in one place.

I'd be downloading all of them and saving them in their own 'Lowestoft' folder for several reasons. Offline browsing and backup come to mind ...

Ian

• Agree 2

Thanks. I am now compiling an off line folder.

2 hours ago, ISW said:

I'd be downloading all of them and saving them in their own 'Lowestoft' folder for several reasons. Offline browsing and backup come to mind ...

Ian

Thanks, I am now compiling an off line folder