Lowestoft station and sidings - pictures please

• SouthernBlue80s changed the title to Lowestoft station and sidings - pictures please
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Also does anyone know what the length of a two car cravens is in 4mm?

490mm over buffers.

Edit: I’ve just got my Bachmann Cravens out to measure it for you, obviously destined for your layout 

IMG_2106.jpeg.a6d3d15b5e71c11714bd6d16aef75c87.jpeg

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dagworth said:

490mm over buffers.

Andi

thank you Andi

I also need to work out how far back the buffer stops were in the station. It looks like the roof area covered the first coach of the unit  and a small part of the second.

Although the roof has gone, I think I might have to make a trip to Lowestoft to acertain dimensions.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Another cracking picture.

Lowestoft line-up

More cracking photo's! That one is very nice! Think I might have to save these for future reference! Love that 31.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevsmiththai said:

More 1991 photos

More soon

Lowestoft ground signal edit.jpg

Lowestoft 1 edit.jpg

Lowestoft ground signal front edit.jpg

Lowestoft Central Frontage edit.jpg

Lowestoft sign.jpg

Lowstoft Central frontage 1 edit.jpg

I am really looking forward to this project. I hope my scratchbuilding skills are up to it.

Thank you very much.

Do you have any of the  wall behind the class 31 above and of the inside of the station.

6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

More cracking photo's! That one is very nice! Think I might have to save these for future reference! Love that 31.

Yes 31418 will appear on the layout.

Stock will be 

03, 08, 31/0 31/4, 37, 47 

Cravens DMU in blue.

Another DMU not sure which on yet.

I really like the way the houses off to right out of shot can form a low relief backscene.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Can anyone identify the van body lying within the station please

class 08 LWT 20-2-88

I think it's one of these, or something very similar: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bcontainer/h660800a9

Parkside and Bachmann do the planked version. Incidently, if you search "Lowestoft" on Paul's site there are some general views and some of odd corners of the yard (although usually with a wagon in the way). 

Edited by Wheatley

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevsmiththai said:

In other news I have added a Great Eastern album to my Flickr channel. This has the higher res scans than I posted here. I've never really got around to uploading my East Anglia stuff but this Lowestoft thread has set me going

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152010806@N03/albums/72177720315628680

Kev

Evening Kev 

Surprised you haven't got an album for the early Barrow hill galas

Holding those back for now. Not just the galas but the depot when Merv, Me and Robin walked in the day after we saved it and the first efforts to secure the site to stop anything else getting nicked ( After the roof, Three way point etc)

I've got a Barrow Hill album but there is still a lot to go into it

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152010806@N03/albums/72177720297165685/

I just looked in the BH folder amd there are 2016 images from Barrow Hill and 254 video files

Plenty to go at!

Kev

31 minutes ago, kevsmiththai said:

Holding those back for now. Not just the galas but the depot when Merv, Me and Robin walked in the day after we saved it and the first efforts to secure the site to stop anything else getting nicked ( After the roof, Three way point etc)

I've got a Barrow Hill album but there is still a lot to go into it

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152010806@N03/albums/72177720297165685/

I just looked in the BH folder amd there are 2016 images from Barrow Hill and 254 video files

Plenty to go at!

Kev

Were you involved in saving Barrow Hill?

If so thank you...as I have enjoyed every visit I have taken there.

• Agree 3

On 25/03/2024 at 15:10, SouthernBlue80s said:

Would a very occasional class 45 or class 40 ever have made it into the yard or on the odd holiday excursion?

Hi 

"An Illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway" by John Brodribb (Oxford Publishing Co) has lots of pictures of Lowestoft Station. There are also pictures of various railtours including 55015 at Lowestoft on 3/9/78 and 40004 on 24/7/83.

As Class 40 were used on the Great Eastern Main Line out of Liverpool Street it is possible they could have reached Lowestoft in the 1960s but by 1980 they had long gone from the route. They were used on the Harwich Boat Trains from the north west so could have made it on other routes. Given that most trains would have reversed at Norwich, more local motive power would have been used on the final leg to Lowestoft. I don't recall seeing many Class 45 on passenger trains in the region during the 1980s. They could often been seen at March Depot having worked freight trains.

Regards 

Nick 

Edited by stivesnick
technical error corrected
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Hi 

"An Illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway" by John Brodribb (Oxford Publishing Co) has lots of pictures of Lowestoft Station. There are also pictures of various railtours including 55015 at Lowestoft on 3/9/78 and 40004 on 24/7/83.

As Class 40 were used on the Great Eastern Main Line out of Liverpool Street it is possible they could have reached Lowestoft in the 1960s but by 1980 they had long gone from the route. They were used on the Harwich Boat Trains from the north west so could have made it on other routes. Given that most trains would have reversed at Norwich, more local motive power would have been used on the final leg to Lowestoft. I don't recall seeing many Class 45 in the region during the 1980s.

Regards 

Nick 

By the 80s it was very rare to see any loco in GE land that didn't have three axle bogies until the arrival of the AC electrics. Primarily we had 31s, 37s and 47s and that was it except shunters and units.

I remember VERY occasional 40s and 45s but they really were very rare by my time, 83 onwards. I have photos of pairs of 20s at Ipswich but again they were very rare, and I can't remember ever seeing a 25 there. 56s were a later arrival on some of the stone traffic but not common. Simple thing was that Anglian drivers didn't know other traction so it didn't get there.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

This one, taken circa 1978, shows a bit of detail on the buildings backing on to the lines on the south side of the station.....

BR239.jpg.3de810edcbcd48bfb57a8cdb0f0e1002.jpg

Thank you. That helps. I have still to find a shot that shows all the backs of those buildings. 

10 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Thank you. That helps. I have still to find a shot that shows all the backs of those buildings. 

I might well have some more recent ones that feature clearer views of some of those buildings, as I don't think they have changed that much since the 1980's.

You can see one of them in a bit more detail - certainly the windows & fire escape arrangement - on this 2005 shot.....

D5-73.JPG.6ad11c4bf8ddbe8a4da2906dc3a4f86c.JPG

Will have a look through my photos and see if there are any others.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I might well have some more recent ones that feature clearer views of some of those buildings, as I don't think they have changed that much since the 1980's.

You can see one of them in a bit more detail - certainly the windows & fire escape arrangement - on this 2005 shot.....

D5-73.JPG.6ad11c4bf8ddbe8a4da2906dc3a4f86c.JPG

Will have a look through my photos and see if there are any others.

Thank you for looking 

Steve