The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Royal Mail Tracking Service

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

I ordered something via the well known electronic auction site at the end of last week. The seller advised me that it had been sent and provided a tracking number.

So far, the package has failed to arrive but that's not unusual.

I think it should go through our letter box but I want some idea of when it might arrive so that I can try to be here, just in case it doesn't.

I used the Royal Mail tracking utility. It doesn't indicate it has even got/had the package, shows no transit details and adds:

"An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item"

I wonder if they realise that a good majority of people actually know when something has been delivered because they have it in their hands?

I don't quite follow the "when we attempt to deliver your item" bit. Does that mean when the package leaves our local depot en route to us or when the postman is about to pop the package through the letter box?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It will be when someone attempts to actually hand the parcel over or put it through your letterbox. In this case, the tracking seems to function as information only after they have been unsuccessful at delivery 

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 2

I think that this message means that the sender has chosen to use a non-tracked delivery method, such as normal second class or, often next day delivery.  As the item is not tracked through RMs service and it is only when delivery is attempted that you get any information.   I've had this on a number of occasions. 

Roddy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

I don't quite follow the "when we attempt to deliver your item" bit. Does that mean when the package leaves our local depot en route to us or when the postman is about to pop the package through the letter box?

What used to be called recorded delivery.  Not really tracking in the full sense which is a separate game service.

• RMweb Gold

The seller has used a RM tracking method used by business sellers that only records when the item is delivered. Is the tracking number something like 320124833300550A5BACD rather than the full tracking service AB123456789GB?

• RMweb Gold

I think the tracking with what was recorded delivery, is more a service for the seller than the buyer.  It gives you as a seller proof that the item has reached the buyer, protecting you from unscrupulous buyers claiming that your item has not been delivered to get a refund.

Of course post Covid it doesnt really help when Royal Mail have an irritating habit of just leaving parcels on doorsteps/behind bins etc even when you click the "do not leave in safe place" button...   Which would still result in the parcel being marked as delivered on the tracking...

On 26/03/2024 at 09:48, Ray H said:

I ordered something via the well known electronic auction site at the end of last week. The seller advised me that it had been sent and provided a tracking number.

So far, the package has failed to arrive but that's not unusual.

I think it should go through our letter box but I want some idea of when it might arrive so that I can try to be here, just in case it doesn't.

I used the Royal Mail tracking utility. It doesn't indicate it has even got/had the package, shows no transit details and adds:

"An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item"

I wonder if they realise that a good majority of people actually know when something has been delivered because they have it in their hands?

Re the last paragraph the answer is ........yes!😉

If you want it properly tracked, then it needs to be sent using Tracked 24 or Tracked 48. Paradoxically, these services are actually cheaper than the Post Office Signed For service, you can enter the buyers contact details (which are provided by ebay in an encrypted form that can be copied into the order) and they automatically get notifications when its on the way and due to be delivered as well as full tracking.

There are still sellers that insist on using (and charging for) the inferior 'Signed For' service but the Tracked services are the ones to go for.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

If you want it properly tracked, then it needs to be sent using Tracked 24 or Tracked 48. Paradoxically, these services are actually cheaper than the Post Office Signed For service, you can enter the buyers contact details (which are provided by ebay in an encrypted form that can be copied into the order) and they automatically get notifications when its on the way and due to be delivered as well as full tracking.

There are still sellers that insist on using (and charging for) the inferior 'Signed For' service but the Tracked services are the ones to go for.

Is this actually Parcel Force? I had a package last weekend which had been sent by them with IIRC Tracked 24. So I could see the van right at the top of the track to my house on that. Shortly followed by an email saying "your package has been taken to the Post Office" (without even saying which one, although it gave the post code so I could find out).

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Problem now with 2nd Signed For is that compensation is now reduced to £20, i have used it for years and its been completely reliable for me. Now if we prefer to use RM we have no choice but to use Tracked 24/48 which with the 48 service can take longer but with compensation upto £150 is better suited plus i can print it and pay at home so less time in the Post Office.I have had some issues using it on Ebay but the Community were able to put me right. For me items delivered have always come RM not Parcelforce. The latter i have found are not so reliable with a recent purchase, i would call an absolute joke!

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Problem now with 2nd Signed For is that compensation is now reduced to £20

does that change happen on April 1st?

RM website still shows signed for (1st or 2nd) as £50 compensation and standard 1st/2nd class as £20

still not as good as tracked 48, but proving useful to me as I have a huge amount of stamps to use up 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

does that change happen on April 1st?

RM website still shows signed for (1st or 2nd) as £50 compensation and standard 1st/2nd class as £20

still not as good as tracked 48, but proving useful to me as I have a huge amount of stamps to use up 

It was mentioned in our local post office recently but i know no more.

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

Is this actually Parcel Force? I had a package last weekend which had been sent by them with IIRC Tracked 24. So I could see the van right at the top of the track to my house on that. Shortly followed by an email saying "your package has been taken to the Post Office" (without even saying which one, although it gave the post code so I could find out).

No, it's a Royal Mail service, not Parcelforce:

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/tracked-48
https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/tracked-24

4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Problem now with 2nd Signed For is that compensation is now reduced to £20, i have used it for years and its been completely reliable for me. Now if we prefer to use RM we have no choice but to use Tracked 24/48 which with the 48 service can take longer but with compensation upto £150 is better suited plus i can print it and pay at home so less time in the Post Office.I have had some issues using it on Ebay but the Community were able to put me right. For me items delivered have always come RM not Parcelforce. The latter i have found are not so reliable with a recent purchase, i would call an absolute joke!

I've found that Tracked 48 is pretty reliable for two day delivery 

7 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Now if we prefer to use RM we have no choice but to use Tracked 24/48 which with the 48 service can take longer but with compensation upto £150 is better suited plus i can print it and pay at home so less time in the Post Office.

Best not to go near a Post Office with RM Tracked 24 and 48 I think. Apart from anything else, it costs extra to drop a Tracked package off at a Post Office (16p it would have been for the last small parcel I sent). If you're able to wait in, you can get it collected from your home address for free - they'll even bring the address label ready printed off you can't be bothered to fit that yourself. Otherwise drop it off at a local RM delivery office, or in one of their parcel post boxes (locations of which they give on their web site when you buy the postage).

I'm with andyman regarding the reliability of the Tracked 48 service: not had a problem with it to date.

I never buy postage through eBay; apart from anything else, in my experience it's poor to unusable for selecting anything more than the base level for a given service. I much prefer to buy postage direct from RM online.

eBay don't 'encrypt' the buyer's address, they just insert a code of their own part way through. As that's just for their own admin purposes, you don't need it if you aren't buying the postage from them. I just take the postcode they give you and feed it in to RM's reverse postcode lookup tool to confirm the buyer's postal address. It's quite common for the official postal address that RM have on file to be subtly different from that given by eBay - likely due to buyers not really knowing their own postal address properly, and eBay not checking. Using the official address as known to RM reduces the risk of the item going astray.

11 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

eBay don't 'encrypt' the buyer's address, they just insert a code of their own part way through. 

Sorry, I meant that they encrypt the buyers email address. Like you, I use the Royal Mail Click and Drop site rather than ebay and as you say that also allows the opportunity to correct errors in the buyer's address (I am amazed at how many people seem to be quite sloppy at entering their address details!).

On 26/03/2024 at 04:50, Steamport Southport said:

If it's Tracked (No Signature) then you normally get a text or email just after it's been delivered.

It even works when the package is delivered by the US Postal Service.

I get emails for each of the following stages:

• Accepted by Royal Mail
  • Left the UK
  • Arrived in the US
  • Arrived at my local post office / out for delivery
  • Delivered (on my doorstep)

On 26/03/2024 at 11:46, The Fatadder said:

I think the tracking with what was recorded delivery, is more a service for the seller than the buyer.  It gives you as a seller proof that the item has reached the buyer, protecting you from unscrupulous buyers claiming that your item has not been delivered to get a refund.

Of course post Covid it doesnt really help when Royal Mail have an irritating habit of just leaving parcels on doorsteps/behind bins etc even when you click the "do not leave in safe place" button...   Which would still result in the parcel being marked as delivered on the tracking...

Replying to your earlier question,  the compensation is to be reduced from £50 to £20 on the Signed For service from early April this year.