The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dashcam recommendations?

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Some while back we had a discussion on an older version of the board but none recently?

Ideally I'd like to stay below £75 unless there's a really good reason.

• RMweb Premium

This is the dash camera that I have fitted and is very good value for the money. I have not add a link to the web site as the last time I did that it did'nt work.

"ORSKEY Dash Cam for Cars Front and Rear and SD Card Included 1080P Full HD In Car Camera Dual Lens Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle Sony Sensor with Loop Recording and G-sensor"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have Nextbase front & rear - no problems in over 7 years.  Don't skimp on the memory card though - buy a decent make and reformat it regularly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've seen the Viofo VS1 recommended and I think I've seen it on sale for about £80.

Foolishly I didn't get that one and splashed out on a Nextbase IQ which was £300 plus another £150 for the rear camera.

Something to consider, and where the Nextbase fails is the bitrate recordings are made at. It doesn't help when you're trying to read a number plate if the picture is a blocky mess of compression artefacts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Avoid Nextbase - I have 2, my wife & daughter have one each & my next door neighbours 2 - all of them suffer from battery issues & Nextbase Customer "Service" as much use as a chocolate iron.

Hi

Yet I have had two Nextbase cameras and both have been perfect. Reason for two is I sold my car with the first one in it as I’d had it hardwired in and didn’t want to remove it.

Cheers

Paul

2 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Yet I have had two Nextbase cameras and both have been perfect. Reason for two is I sold my car with the first one in it as I’d had it hardwired in and didn’t want to remove it.

Cheers

Paul

Clearly they cannot be universally bad or no-one would buy them & I can except that things do go wrong.

However, there is no excuse for indifferent service.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I would also be wary of Nextbase as I have also had 2 that have had the batteries die in them both just outside warranty.

• Informative/Useful 1

Have a Ford one in my van, would also be intetested in alternatives, as images can only be accessed via the app, takes forever and a bit of a faff.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Clearly they cannot be universally bad or no-one would buy them & I can except that things do go wrong.

However, there is no excuse for indifferent service.

Hi

Anything that is mass produced will have bad examples but you can’t just right off a brand because of your bad experience.

Testing every single device would push the cost up. I used to work in a factory were we hand built the items and each was rigorously tested, they cost more than the alternative brands.

Even after all that we still had returns due to failures of components.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

On 30/03/2024 at 10:31, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Anything that is mass produced will have bad examples but you can’t just right off a brand because of your bad experience.

Testing every single device would push the cost up. I used to work in a factory were we hand built the items and each was rigorously tested, they cost more than the alternative brands.

Even after all that we still had returns due to failures of components.

Cheers

Paul

So, if you had 100% bad experience (over six examples) of a brand you would continue to buy that brand ?

I've also had bad experience of Sony products - every single Sony braded item I have ever owned failed just outside the warranty term.

And the point you ignored was about non-existant after care service.

It would appear that battery failure is (or was() a common issue with Nextbase.

I would happily pay a little more to have products tested properly - maybe that's why modellers have less issues with more expensive European brands nut lets not go there on this thread.

Edited by GrumpyPenguin