Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Which lubricant can be used?

Some of my locos have sat in storage for 11+ years, and clearly need a bit of lubricant before running again. 
Do I have to buy something like Dapol’s loco lubricant or can something else around the house be used? WD40, perhaps? Something else? 

As said "normal" WD40 has its uses but not as a lubricant, on an old loco with maybe dried up oil, I has used WD40 CONTACT CLEANER to clean it out, then lightly re oiled with a fine oil, I use one by EXPO tools, many years old seems to never run out.

• RMweb Premium

Specifically, WD40 has something in it's composition that attacks most plastics. It initially appears to work perfectly to lubricate as what you hope for - perhaps long enough to entice you to do the rest of your fleet.

Over a period of time - months perhaps, the plastic will gradually become brittle and disintegrate. Nothing can fix it.

Read on the can, for what it IS useful for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've found over time that those squeezy hypo type devices eventually split, causing the remaining lube to go everywhere, I've used branded and unbranded and they are all the same.

My latest one is from Peter's Spares and it is a squeezy bottle with fine needle type nozzle.

Unfortunately not listed on their site know.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I've found over time that those squeezy hypo type devices eventually split, causing the remaining lube to go everywhere, 

Experiances vary, my EXPO tools one is several years old, no leak or split.

• Agree 1

The squeezy oilers do split if you squeeze too hard, you need to gently squeeze them lightly and the oil will come out slowly then release the squeeze and move to the next bearing... simples!

Dave F.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, davefrk said:

The squeezy oilers do split if you squeeze too hard, you need to gently squeeze them lightly and the oil will come out slowly then release the squeeze and move to the next bearing... simples!

Dave F.

Not so simples

No oil coming out at all when gently squeezed = no good.

The first one I had lasted a very long time, none of the recent ones have

The plastic on the later ones had lost its flexibility.

I did use branded ones.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

For most models you need Plastic Compatible.  

One of my school friends used oil from his mother's kitchen on his Kitmasters, and after a month none of them ran again.

• Like 2

Generally I use branded lubricants from Roco - they cost a bit more but last for a very long time.

I cannot understand why anyone should use products like WD40 or 3 in 1 oil anywhere near a model, valuable in terms of cash or sentimantallity. The logic of spending a few grans on locomotives & then not spending say 20 quid on a on some quality lubricants escapes me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Generally I use branded lubricants from Roco - they cost a bit more but last for a very long time.

I cannot understand why anyone should use products like WD40 or 3 in 1 oil anywhere near a model, valuable in terms of cash or sentimantallity. The logic of spending a few grans on locomotives & then not spending say 20 quid on a on some quality lubricants escapes me.

I suspect it's because it's something already available in the shed/garage! After all, they say 'lubricant' on the can and are indeed excellent on rusty bicycle chains!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Contact:C Bennis Supplies and Services on Ebay.... All required lubricants available.   I have dealt with Chris for some years and find the products are excellent...explain what it's for and he will respond with a satisfactory option.

• 2 weeks later...

Powdered lock graphite in a small plastic puffer bottle can be a very effective long-lasting lubricant for model locos and one that I use extensively. There may be occasions when it doesn't do the trick and a liquid lubricant is required but in my experience they are few and far between.

• RMweb Premium

I have used the odd drop of engine oil.

Plastic  compatible one.

Still seems ok.  Well the plastic cased injectors have sat in it over 20 years.

But only used on axle bearings steel and brass.