Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Spelling Mistakes on Models (and the prototype)

• RMweb Premium

When we commissioned a IoM Peel Chemical Company wagon in 16mm at Trackshack, the decorated sample had a spelling mistake, Sulphate being spelled as Sulhpate - I still have it..... 'rare, collectors item' LOL

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, I'm sure that Chinese people find our script as difficult as we find theirs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dominion said:

The real Pullman car was Rosamund. 

That's a fair name!

When a colleague was SM at Dorking, new signage was provided for his other station, Boxhill & Westhumble. Sadly the signs said Westhamble, so back they went. 

An engineering works poster in the mid-80s showed a map of  East Coastway, including a station called Hampton Park. Like north of the Border, it should be Hampden Park. Those versed in Cockney rhyming slang will have had a particular giggle. 

EDIT - And surely the most shameful of all, when Wessex Trains was young and full of hope, the departure posters at the home station of Exeter Central included a destination at Barnstable. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3

Years back, EFE produced a set of two Barton Transport buses; the double decker had the Derbyshire destination spelled as “Ilkestone” but the “e” is neither present nor

pronounced on the real place. 

18 hours ago, Binky said:

I picked up a Lima LMS GUV at Alexandra palace to add to my ever expanding collection of BR blue era parcel stock.

Upon taking it apart to make a few improvements (mostly fitting correct bogies and wheels) I noticed a spelling mistake, the dimension info on the van side says "Lenght" instead of "Length".

It reminded me of a photo I once saw in a magazine of a brand new 1/1 scale Rock Island Railroad boxcar in the USA that had been lettered "ROCK ISALND".

Does anyone know of any more examples of railway spelling mistakes?

When a number of former Highland locos were sent for repairs/ rebuilds to Kilmarnock works, their painted names were misspelt by the paint shop. Bring in Gaelic there were a few tongue twisters but surely someone kept a note? Evidently not. 

One of the D34 Glens was originally named Glen Gau, except there is no such glen. it was later 'corrected' to Glen Gour, (though some writers have questioned whether this was the Glen intended as Glen Gour is in Highland Railway territory!)

Edited by JeremyC

17 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

One of the D34 Glens was originally named Glen Gau, except there is no such glen. it was later 'corrected' to Glen Gour, (though some writers have questioned whether this was the Glen intended as Glen Gour is in Highland Railway territory!)

Probably ran out of local Glen names like the GWR did with Halls, some of which were firmly in LNER territory such as Burton Agnes Hall!

Some mistakes in those as well, 4969 was Shrugborough Hall which had gained an extra R. The house is actually Shugborough.

Jason

On 01/04/2024 at 19:34, kernowtim said:

One of the Hornby releases of the ex-lima railcar had an extra letter added to the name on one destination blind, can not remember what it was now!,

This one, R2771 - I couldn't find a sharper photo but the non-pipe end displayed "SOUTHHALL".

image.png.7c59747550f82a249795712331acaa49.png

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The house is actually Shugborough.

Not a bad place. 20 years ago this month I went on a date there with a lady. We married in 2015.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One  I saw back in the eighties, though I think it existed only briefly was at King's Cross on the departure board no less. When they had the older ones when the letters flipped over  each other there was always one at the end that had n't worked for ages.  One day when I turned up , Lo and behold! it was working and there was my train to Huntingdon/Peterborough stopping at Stephenage .

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Back in the 1970s SMS issued a 'modern image' waterslide transfer sheet which included number set '33069', and in 8" numerals - non-existent identity in an inappropriate size'!

D5043 was scrapped due to collision damage in the early 1970s but that didn't stop Howes including '24043' on a 1980s rub-down sheet (I think this may have been derived from an earlier SMS waterslide sheet containing the same error).

Another Howes sheet I purchased around 1990, intended for N gauge but I needed very small double-arrows for an OO gauge D1030 'Western Musketeer' and DMU cab doors, included 'D6127' in Rail Alphabet style - the real D6127 would never have achieved BR Blue livery as it suffered terminal meltdown in 1962!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Agreed, I wrote Slawit first, but then thought that the t is rather soft and sometimes omitted altogether in the pronunciation.

I've heard Linfit a few times, but I agree the full Linthwaite is more common.

I've never heard linwit, but after saying slawit several times, I agree the to is spoken softly, not something you could describe Yorkshire folk doing often. 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Spell checking even in the modern world still has gaps…

IMG_8954.jpeg.0407e89fae735d45b6174201446586a5.jpeg

cant afford vapes in Blackpool so theyve invented something new…

IMG_8955.jpeg.b14a82a371e50e9c6b46fb02387ea4be.jpeg

worst part was these were on every lamp post of every platform !!

Surely someone in the chain from design, manufacturing to fitting can spell cigarette… there must be over 100 of those signs.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

My all time favourite though is this one (none railway related)…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7702913.stm

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

surely this sign would be fun to be replicated on a model railway layout scene somewhere and see if anyone notices

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Unlikely - I doubt a local coal merchant would spell their own district wrong, there are photos of the actual wagons in a couple of books but I don't have either. Given it's number is 50, we'd have to believe that Messrs Wood allowed at least 50 mistakes to be made on their wagons - can't see that happening but I'd never say never.

Perhaps you're right. But in those days wagons were hand painted and lettered by the builders. Could one wagon have been incorrectly spelt and missed? Then for a joke Replica made of model of that?

Update

OK just checked, there is a photo in P.O. wagons of GRC&WC ltd of that exact wagon (50) and Replica have made the mistake.

One things for sure, if a wagon I wanted a model of HAD included such a mistake, I would be sure to acquire one, along with a photo, so I could prove I was right!

Edited by kevinlms
More info

19 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Unlikely - I doubt a local coal merchant would spell their own district wrong, there are photos of the actual wagons in a couple of books but I don't have either. Given it's number is 50, we'd have to believe that Messrs Wood allowed at least 50 mistakes to be made on their wagons - can't see that happening but I'd never say never.

It was quite common for small firms to start the wagon numbering much higher up than the actual number of wagons they possessed, to give the impression of being a bigger and/or more important concern. Wagon No. 50 may have been one of two wagons, for all we know. 😅

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, SRman said:

It was quite common for small firms to start the wagon numbering much higher up than the actual number of wagons they possessed, to give the impression of being a bigger and/or more important concern. Wagon No. 50 may have been one of two wagons, for all we know. 😅

And seen on trade road vehicles today. But perhaps they are also numbering their vehicles since they started the business decades ago and have only owned one vehicle at a time.

Or else they issue invoices, with say 6 digit numbers, when they have only been in business a few months.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, SRman said:

Yet most railway companies, the LNWR being an excellent example, liked to number locos, wagons etc, with the lowest number they had sitting on the shelf from retired vehicles. That way they could tell how many locos they had in the fleet, by looking at the highest number and subtracting any lower number plates, sitting on the shelf.

Did most companies with cast plates, use this method?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yet most railway companies, the LNWR being an excellent example, liked to number locos, wagons etc, with the lowest number they had sitting on the shelf from retired vehicles. That way they could tell how many locos they had in the fleet, by looking at the highest number and subtracting any lower number plates, sitting on the shelf.

Did most companies with cast plates, use this method?

is this how football clubs developed player numbers for shirts ?

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

is this how football clubs developed player numbers for shirts ?

I don't think they woud have used cast plates for players, the wait woud be a problem.  I reckon they would of been cloth and  sown on.

I remember 40 odd years ago laboriously and lovingly painting an 00 toad with "Return to Nebury" leaving the "W" out.  I have never bothered since.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1