Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Identification Help

• RMweb Gold

WR somewhere from the signals, and quite early in the HST careers, before the guards’ accommodation was moved into the mk.3 adjoining the power car; late 70s/early 80s.  WR practice was to have the first-class accommodation at the Paddington end of the set, so this is probably an up train. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

seems likely:

image.png.2321cada2716e58566c1f28a4f547518.png

Conclusive in my opinion - field boundaries in the background match exactly.  

18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

WR somewhere from the signals, and quite early in the HST careers, before the guards’ accommodation was moved into the mk.3 adjoining the power car; late 70s/early 80s.  WR practice was to have the first-class accommodation at the Paddington end of the set, so this is probably an up train. 

The TGS was a Standard Class vehicle, so if the train included one it wouldn't be visible on this picture.  I don't think anything visibly changed on the power car itself when the guard was moved out.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Conclusive in my opinion - field boundaries in the background match exactly.  

The TGS was a Standard Class vehicle, so if the train included one it wouldn't be visible on this picture.  I don't think anything visibly changed on the power car itself when the guard was moved out.  

The 'Guard' lettering was removed I believe from under the former guard door in the power car. Presumably the lettering 'Guard' reappeared on the door in the TGS.

253039 were power cars 43147 and 43148. They entered traffic in May 1981 and seem to have lost their set numbers during 1984 so the photo, which is certainly Liskeard looking West, was taken at sometime between those dates.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Flood said:

253039 were power cars 43147 and 43148. They entered traffic in May 1981 and seem to have lost their set numbers during 1984 so the photo, which is certainly Liskeard looking West, was taken at sometime between those dates.

Given how good condition the unit looks I would estimate nearer 81 than 84 as well.

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, the lettering 'Guard' appeared on a new door on a new type of coach called a TGS.

Can't see any such lettering on the power car door, but at the resolution the photo is posted it probably wouldn't show up anyway.  

At what point was the right hand platform extended or was the signal moved.

the signal seems to be next to the second mk3,  and there is no sign of the right hand platform. In the later photograph the right hand platform extends as far as the signal.

42 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

At what point was the right hand platform extended or was the signal moved.

the signal seems to be next to the second mk3,  and there is no sign of the right hand platform. In the later photograph the right hand platform extends as far as the signal.

According to "Diesels In The Dutchy" by John Vaughan the platforms were extended in 1981, so that near enough ties the photo down to 1981.

The signal on the left is three lamp posts away from the brick building, in the original photo and the overhead view, so that hasn't moved.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Hi

In the original picture there is a 'ground signal' on the bracket signal platform.....

There isn't one on the photo of Liskeard.....

This is in the 'off' position meaning a train is signalled off the mainline unless it's being used as a calling on signal.

At Liskeard the only pointwork past the bracket signal is the crossover used for running round or for trains from the Looe line to access the down main.....

Also the signal arm signal above the train  does not seem to be there in the picture of Liskeard.....

It does look like LIskeard though......

Cheers Bill

Liskeard in 1980 before the sidings were lifted:

Copyright Gerard Fletcher on Flickr

50 010 Liskeard

Same signal, same lamp posts.

June 1983 after the platform was extended.

Copyright DJS Bailey on Flickr

Class 45 at Liskeard. 13th June 1983

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, treggyman said:

In the original picture there is a 'ground signal' on the bracket signal platform.....

Where?

signal.JPG.5288c87d3ec1d3aa39955f65f0f3e6b2.JPG

I have obtained my late friend's photos who never recorded numbers, dates or locations. This slide was the next in sequence to the one of a class 45 at Loughborough Midland station which I don't need identifying. It is a class 45/46 (I can't tell the difference) and it looks like it was taken from a train possiblty on the Midland main line around 1981. The the only identifying details are the farm buildings on the right. Can anyone identify the location

GH400_60_20181102_0005_1200.jpg.eaffd3e4fae67da76ecd265f27738a7c.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, The Border Reiver said:

I have obtained my late friend's photos who never recorded numbers, dates or locations. This slide was the next in sequence to the one of a class 45 at Loughborough Midland station which I don't need identifying. It is a class 45/46 (I can't tell the difference) and it looks like it was taken from a train possiblty on the Midland main line around 1981. The the only identifying details are the farm buildings on the right. Can anyone identify the location

I would guess that could be the sea or an estuary in the background and the signal is a BR(W)/GWR LQ one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Border Reiver said:

The Nissen Hut and it's later variant, ought to make it easy.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Could be taken from a train in the platform loop looking north, with the up main starter and possibly what is now Warren Golf Club on right?

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2