LMS Stanier 5MT No.5428 'Eric Treacy' - New Exclusive from Railway Icons

Railway Icons announce their latest exclusive model, the LMS Stanier 5MT 4-6-0, No.5428 ‘Eric Treacy’, produced by Hornby.

This exclusive model from Railway Icons is available in standard DCC Ready and DCC Sound Fitted at £229.99 and £279.99 respectively and can be reserved with a deposit on either Locomotion Models or Rails of Sheffield’s websites today, with delivery expected in November 2024. Don’t miss out, ensure you secure your model today to avoid disappointment!

Black Fives

The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0, more commonly known as the ‘Black Five’ Class of locomotives were designed by Sir William Stanier and built between 1934 and 1951. Stanier became Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1932, tasked with introducing new, more modern, and powerful designs of locomotive. Having worked previously as Works Manager for the Great Western Railway, Stanier recognised that with the LMS covering such a wide scope of the UK, there was a need for larger locomotives that could travel anywhere and do anything, resulting in the mixed traffic ‘Black Five’ Class for the 20th Century.

No.5428, later 45428 under the BR numbering system, was built in 1937 by Sir W.G Armstrong Whitworth & Co in Newcastle upon Tyne as part of an order for 227 locomotives, the largest order ever placed with a private firm by a British railway company. 5428, which was part of Stanier’s ‘Black Five’ Class, entered service in 1937 at Leeds Holbeck depot, which provided such types of locomotives for both main line operations and special services, primarily from West Riding to Whitby.

After 30 years of service, 45428 hauled the final steam-worked London-bound express service from Bradford to Leeds in October 1967, before being withdrawn from service a week later as steam traction was no longer used in Leeds. Following withdrawal from service, 5428 was selected for preservation and travelled light engine to Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley in August 1968. Having been named ‘Eric Treacy’ after the renowned railway photographer, the engine then moved to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) in the 1970s and ran there until the late 1990s before being withdrawn for a complete overhaul. Having completed a £600,000 restoration programme, 45428 returned to service on the NYMR in 2010 after an eleven-year absence.

Eric Treacy

Eric Treacy, Bishop of Wakefield, an esteemed railway photographer began taking his photographs in 1932, shortly after joining the clergy. He became part of the Railway Photographic Society in 1935 and would often befriend drivers and firemen in his congregation who would subsequently often help to create smoke effects in his images.

Treacy would plan his photography days in advance, taking into account the weather, position of the sun at the time of the train’s arrival and in-depth knowledge of the locations.

Sadly, Treacy died suddenly in 1978 on Appleby Station while photographing the locomotive ‘Evening Star’, but his legacy lives on through his collection of railway photography which is now housed at the National Railway Museum in York.

Use the following link to pre-order yours today! https://www.locomotionmodels.com/railway-icons/lms-stanier-5mt-no-5428-eric-treacy

5428.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A good reminder of Eric Treacy . I’d bet he’d be thrilled there will be locos on his name whizzing round model railways - especially Lime St 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

This looks to me as though it's in present day condition. Is this the case does anyone know?

The loco was named in preservation, so yes.

11 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The loco was named in preservation, so yes.

Thanks, but it has spent more than half it's life in preservation so I don't want to presume that it is identical today to what it was when it was named over 50 years ago! That's why I am asking.

The Rails listing for it does show it as Era 11 so it should be as per today, however.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks, but it has spent more than half it's life in preservation so I don't want to presume that it is identical today to what it was when it was named over 50 years ago! That's why I am asking.

The Rails listing for it does show it as Era 11 so it should be as per today, however.

Ah, sorry. If you look at the main Black Five thread there are recent photos which show it in this livery with polished smokebox hinges and motion, so I guess the answer is still yes - the model depicts the current condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

For a fair whack of that time it was in BR livery though.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/45428-lms-5428-45428/

So I assume it's in it's most recent condition rather than 1970s.

Jason

• Like 1

Really happy about this one! I will cancel my Glasgow Highlander and have already pre ordered this. Seen them for the first time for real at Key Model World Live today. Whilst the lamps do look a little big, I can live with that for a model of Eric Tracey 

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

For a fair whack of that time it was in BR livery though.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/45428-lms-5428-45428/

So I assume it's in it's most recent condition rather than 1970s.

Jason

I remember my dad taking me to the Tyseley extravaganza on two consecutive years which I think were 1969 and 1970, or maybe 1968 and 1969.  I am sure one was on August with good weather. what has just become apparent to me was when I saw 5428 at Tyseley in LMS livery it had only recently arrived light from Yorkshire, but was obviously repainted in that year or so.

I have always loved the black fives and am a little tempted by this model, even though it would need to be in 1960s livery and condition for my collection. 

Wonder if the lamp on the smokebox can be replaced by a lamp iron.  

Eric has always been high on my list of wants/needs, I've long been on the lookout for an appropriate donor to renumber into 5428 but haven't yet found one. Today's announcement solves that problem on many counts, so after already talking myself out of a new Hornby 5, I've gone straight back on that and ordered one!

I've had plenty of trips behind the real loco, and I'm on a protracted journey to amass a representative NYMR fleet, and this is certainly a key member of that ambition. All we need now is 44767 and I'll probably have some sort of accident, or at least my wallet will!

I think I might swap the lamps for some more scale ones, though there's often a modern HI one present for the Whitby trips, and I suspect that could be made to be part of the ensemble.

Looking forward to seeing more, and obviously the arrival!

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

These issues being the spade connectors between loco & tender and those lamps,I assume ? A conversation I had today with Hornby at the NEC leaves me with no cause for optimism on these matters I’m afraid.I had a distinct impression that they had to accept what their contracted factory has provided us with.Or am I missing something here ? Removing and changing the lamps seems to be a matter of serendipity and individual skill it would appear. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

These issues being the spade connectors between loco & tender and those lamps,I assume ? A conversation I had today with Hornby at the NEC leaves me with no cause for optimism on these matters I’m afraid.I had a distinct impression that they had to accept what their contracted factory has provided us with.Or am I missing something here ? Removing and changing the lamps seems to be a matter of serendipity and individual skill it would appear. 

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog!

I know that the UK market is not huge, but other producers seem to be able to get 'to spec' products from their factories in China. If Hornby's factory(ies) can't or won't supply what Hornby want - time to get a new factory!

...... or, Hornby are still adopting their longstanding "It'll do" attitude, and blaming the factory.

Hornby need to wake up and smell the coffee - they have hard-hitting competitors nowadays who are only too ready to grab their market!

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

The only sighting I had today was of it on Hornby’s roundy and frankly I have to admit I have no cause for enthusiasm I regret to say. None of the retail traders appeared to be stocking them. The gap between loco & tender is too wide and apparently the lamps can only be moved with utmost care. Upgrade? I see little evidence of this presently I’m afraid and a washing of the hands over the lamp positioning by Hornby isn’t exactly helpful either. You pays your money and you makes your choice. I’m currently signed up for a Caprotti version.It does look the business in the display cabinet I have to admit…..BUT…..

Has anyone else noticed that if you try and search for it on Rails' website, you aren't able to get anything at all? Even if you find it via Google it brings up an error.

I'm assuming then it's because of the preorders all being taken? If that's the case then I'm glad I got mine while I did.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity,I have tried the Google link and am met with Page 404 on each occasion.We may speculate a reason but of course we don’t know why this has occurred. Try a phone call.

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Perhaps they have limited the number that can be ordered in the hope they have enough perfect spare ones to cover the barrage of faulty returns based on the issues with the main range issued ones.

What faulty ones? 

Two is all I've seen evidence of and both of those were of someone on YouTube who should be ignored by any sensible person. If there was a serious problem with them there would be a 100 page thread about issues and loads of comments on the internet in general, and there isn't.

This one seems perfect apart from the lamps which I dislike.

As is this.

As is this.

Rails have probably sold out already. For those that can't be bothered to look.

https://www.locomotionmodels.com/railway-icons/lms-stanier-5mt-no-5428-eric-treacy

Jason