Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Corgi Wallace and Gromit train chase set

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

So Corgi have announced they are going to produce the famous train set chase scene from the "wrong trousers" film. No details on the scale yet, but who's going to be the first to motorise it for a laugh? Link

For anyone that hasn't seen the film here it is:

Edited by simon b
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simon b said:

No details on the scale yet

It says "fit the box scale", which is all the details you're going to get.  Each model seems to be 12 cm in length, so in the case of Gromit (my favourite character), that means that each coach is just less than 4 cm long.  Going by all the dimensions given, it would look to be somewhere around TT scale track / trains, with the characters obviously being to a bigger scale - somewhere in the region of 1:12.

Edited by Dungrange

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Someone needs to make a working layout of that scene. Surely there’s a 3d print of the model to go on a Hornby chassis.

Depending on the size these turn out to be it might be possible.

10 hours ago, simon b said:

Depending on the size these turn out to be it might be possible.

The loco chassis is obviously a Hornby 0-4-0 and the carriages run on what appears to be Romford wheels, so a studio scale model should be possible. Well worth it, as this is the greatest piece of television ever made.

10 hours ago, Wheatley said:

95 quid ! Is it made of gold ? 

You can  get a proper diecast 1/72 Chinook from the same source for that !

The problem is, I don't want a Chinook, I want a W&G train. If saving money is the aim, the Beatles bus is a third of the price, but it wouldn't Please Please Me to have one of those either. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

The loco chassis is obviously a Hornby 0-4-0 and the carriages run on what appears to be Romford wheels, so a studio scale model should be possible. Well worth it, as this is the greatest piece of television ever made.

I'll probably buy one anyway as I love the films, so as you say just a case of whatever gauge 0-4-0 chassis is the closest fit. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Hopefully Peco will make Gromit’s inexhaustible box of spare track to go with it!

Only works if you lay it at the required speed.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The problem is, I don't want a Chinook, I want a W&G train. If saving money is the aim, the Beatles bus is a third of the price, but it wouldn't Please Please Me to have one of those either. 

The loco chassis in the film is a Hornby 0-6-0 but the Corgi model won't be if the entire loco, tender and coach are only 12cm long. 

My comment on price was puzzlement at where Corgi thinks this fits in their pricing structure, I'm perfectly capable of saving money by not buying overpriced tat full stop. The Chinook is a big chunky piece of diecast metal with a lot of separately fitted parts, whereas Gromit's stuff looks like three Kit Kat sized lumps of resin (?). I doubt they're die-cast otherwise it would say so in the blurb and it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

My comment on price was puzzlement at where Corgi thinks this fits in their pricing structure, I'm perfectly capable of saving money by not buying overpriced tat full stop. The Chinook is a big chunky piece of diecast metal with a lot of separately fitted parts, whereas Gromit's stuff looks like three Kit Kat sized lumps of resin (?). I doubt they're die-cast otherwise it would say so in the blurb and it doesn't. 

I wonder how much it costs to license the Chinook design vs licensing the rights to the models from Aardman.

Looking at the track on the Corgi model, it looks like the Hornby TT:120 track (note the three "slots" under the rail for the power clip, as opposed to the two on their 00 track). This would seem to imply 12mm gauge track?

A couple of other Hornby 00 products appeared in the train chase - the track (with sleepers chopped out), a signal (which appeared a few times), a chopped-about Hornby buffer stop (still with the clips to hold it to the rails), and (annoyingly) a hut of some description which appears fleetingly several times but which I've not been able to identify. It's certainly not Hornby, Triang, Wills, Ratio, Bilteezi or Superquick. 

The signal:

image.png.46b2fa94f8e9d5d0d8c3fc55c324f5e9.pngimage.png.04bcfe5e5bcb4f54b6fe604244cb09fc.png

The buffer stop:
image.png.24de37f1f1ab2a793d28add57d2fc3c0.png

The dreaded hut:

image.png.6953aedba7fa7052bff1910dc51afe61.pngimage.png.627e2789ed1a1ca3736a9010ae02fcf4.pngimage.png.717d6754f7337d2601662ce023bae7cb.png
Any suggestions? It appears to have a peaked roof, a brick chimney to the rear, and a (panelled) door at one end. It also appears to have been built on a baseplate (not of prefabulated amulite!) and there's visible texture to the roof, which implies a plastic structure. Any suggestions gratefully accepted (ideally on the back of a £20 note...)

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think you're right. The Cooper Craft Pooley weighbridge hut has the high-peaked roof, the chimney in the right place and the right style of panelled door, as well as the base plate. Good eye that man!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Thanks 1

On 09/06/2024 at 21:45, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Someone needs to make a working layout of that scene. Surely there’s a 3d print of the model to go on a Hornby chassis.

On 09/06/2024 at 21:59, Steamport Southport said:

They did them a few years ago as bubble bath lids. Made of plastic so might be easier to motorise. Shop around if you are interested as I've seen them cheaper than this.

Problem is, they'd be very top heavy (and out of gauge)...

PXL_20240611_153457295_MP.jpg.43fdf9964fda02fd9095980d27539c3a.jpg

• Like 2

Some years ago, there was discussion concerning a suitable sculpture for the fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square. I suggested a portrayal of Wallace and Gromit as they epitomised the essence of Britishness. My work mates thought I was delusional but I stand by my opinion on the matter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Deeps said:

they epitomised the essence of Britishness.

Surely anyone stood on the plinth with an umbrella . . . 

🤪

• Funny 4