MRJ 200

merddinemrys

Hello Everyone.

Whats the situation regarding subscriptions to the MRJ ? I found information on British railway magazines I think but I ran for the door when I saw the postage :O A sub costs £72 including postage,that works out at about £40 postage for 8 copies.Hell I only live in Ireland. I know this is a world wide sub but it seemed the only one available on the site. I did e-mail Titfield but as yet no answer.Does anyone know of anywhere else ?

Thanks.

.....A Western 8F by Chris Pendleton and Gerry Beale

A Bracket Signal for Maiden Newton by Karl Crowther....

Worth it for these two features alone.

Bob Barlow back in the chair? This is beginning to feel like HIGNFY laugh.gif

My subscription copy hasn't arrived yet, can we please in recognition of 200 issues and keeping in the tradition of MRJ threads

A/ Have several pages moaning about the postal service and that all Royal Mail employees should be ritually disembowelled,

B/ Have several pages moaning for a lack of loyalty to their valued subscribers,

C/ Have several pages bemoaning the lack of a web site and no email address,

D/ Have several pages accusing them of an inner circle with no new contributors,

E/ Have several pages saying 'its of no interest to me so I don't buy it', but its important I tell you I don't buy it,

F/ Have several pages saying I don't care when it arrives I always find something of value in it,

G/ Have several more pages moaning thats its a clique, despite poster never having submitted anything to be published,

H/ Have several pages incorrectly guessing the guest editor,

I/ Have several pages moaning its not in the Surbiton branch of WHS

J/ Have several pages identifying which is the furthest branch of WHS with copies from the Surbiton branch.

Have I missed anything?

Apart from the dull thud of my subscription MRJ No.200 on my doormat ...

Follow-up moaning about the fact that the above moans made it to this thread? laugh.gif

It's not Bob though. ....

I've just picked up a copy from the newsagent near my office. You're right. biggrin.gif

Certainly feels like a weighty issue - the Pendlenton 8F has lots of useful lessons for my S4 effort, currently accumulating bits in a box....

Was intrigued by the "boxhead" couplings for Mk.1 coaches. Would there be any advantage to making the buffing surface more rounded?

Would there be any advantage to making the buffing surface more rounded?

The flat surface will be better when propelling as the force transfered between adjacent buffing surfaces will likely remain linear. The they were curved they could easily slip and cause derailments.

Hello Everyone.

Whats the situation regarding subscriptions to the MRJ ? I found information on British railway magazines I think but I ran for the door when I saw the postage :O A sub costs £72 including postage,that works out at about £40 postage for 8 copies.Hell I only live in Ireland. I know this is a world wide sub but it seemed the only one available on the site. I did e-mail Titfield but as yet no answer.Does anyone know of anywhere else ?

Thanks.

MRJ 200 gives a rate of £40 for a UK subscriptions, "overseas rates on application" and a contact number of +44 1235 816478.

£5 to send a magazine to the Irish Republic seems a bit extreme. It's not like you live in darkest Peru.

Another good issue this month - the Dungeness diorama looks really good, and I liked the focus on updating RTR stock.

MRJ 200 gives a rate of £40 for a UK subscriptions, "overseas rates on application" and a contact number of +44 1235 816478.

£5 to send a magazine to the Irish Republic seems a bit extreme. It's not like you live in darkest Peru.

Another good issue this month - the Dungeness diorama looks really good, and I liked the focus on updating RTR stock.

Simon Castons of Titfield very kindly got back to me & even though he doesn't do subscriptions to MRJ he gave me information which led me to the right person. I got a subscription to Ireland for the 8 issues for stg£50 which is fine by me. Looking forward to getting it.:good_mini:

If anyone living outside of the UK wants the details send me a Pm.

Was intrigued by the "boxhead" couplings for Mk.1 coaches. Would there be any advantage to making the buffing surface more rounded?

Ivan,

the boxhead coupling is designed to pivot around the mounting screw, so flat faces would be best. However, a fixed coupling with a curved face to the box might (and note I only say might) provide a simple solution. That would do away with the centralising spring.

The boxhead looks like a great idea but the assorted underframes under my kit built stock (from a variety of suppliers) probably would prevent me from using the Dave Bradwell etches - if they become available - on all of them. I've had a look for the Bill Bedford version mentioned in the text, but can't find them.

Jol

Managed to get into town yesterday and pick up a copy, although i've not had a good read, just picking through Mr Pendlenton article.

I was surprised that consideration wasn't given to Sergent Engineering's buckeye couplers, which have none of downsides of kadees which he lists. But they do lack the ability to uncouple when used with gangway stock, so perhaps that was why.

I'm certainly considering applying the gangway thinking my bachy Mk1's and Mk2's.

Regards

Matt

The trouble with MRJ is that once in a while there is an article which contains an idea good enough fo rme to stop and think about how I should take forward current and future projects.

Issue 200 is full of them! A bracket signal is not yet at the point of no return so there is time to stop and start again in the light of Karl Crowther's work. Chris Pendlenton's treatment of gangways makes me wonder whether the older, non-Pullman type can be dealt with in a like way - again, just before I start to do a batch in the more normal manner. The real frightener came from Messrs Pendlenton and Beale's 8F: why did it not occur to me that Gibson wheels are not always blessed with perpendicular crankpin holes? Now to read Craig's article ...

Chris

....surprised that consideration wasn't given to Sergent Engineering's buckeye couplers, which have none of downsides of kadees which he lists. But they do lack the ability to uncouple when used with gangway stock, so perhaps that was why.....

Just had a look at Sergent's website, which mentions forthcoming "Type H" couplers for passenger cars. Seems they are working on an uncoupling wand which will work from below the coupler rather than above. Could be a solution?

Just had a look at Sergent's website, which mentions forthcoming "Type H" couplers for passenger cars. Seems they are working on an uncoupling wand which will work from below the coupler rather than above. Could be a solution?

I've been hoping to see some further development on the Type H Tightlock's, but they are only really applicable for later build DMU/EMU stock unfortunately. Fixed rakes work for me, but I was considering something along the lines of a magnetic coil driven from a decoder auxiliary output for uncoupling purposes. With the sergents only one of the locking balls inside the coupler has to be raised to allow uncoupling. I figure a thin steel plate in the gangway floor could perhaps transmit the magnetic forces enough to allow uncoupling, and remain completely invisible. The only way to be sure is to try it.

• RMweb Premium

The real frightener came from Messrs Pendlenton and Beale's 8F: why did it not occur to me that Gibson wheels are not always blessed with perpendicular crankpin holes? Now to read Craig's article ...

Chris

Me too; I always though it was my wonky screwing!!!

Dave.

.....The real frightener came from Messrs Pendlenton and Beale's 8F: why did it not occur to me that Gibson wheels are not always blessed with perpendicular crankpin holes? ....

And there I was thinking that redrilling them for homemade crankpins was a form of showing-off....ohmy.gif

I know that numerically speaking this is the 201st issue but it is a triumph! Intelligent articles well written by experts in their field. No other magazine comes close to what MJR does. Sirs, I suggest that you raise a communal bat to the virtual pavillion and take your well earned applause. A double ton who'd have thought it that bought into it all those years ago?

Anyone who has yet to try MRJ should pick this one up, but be warned a life time of slavering anticipation awaits as publishing dates come and go!

Well done all.

A double ton who'd have thought it that bought into it all those years ago?

Personally I find it all most disappointing. When MRJ started I thought "this is far too good: it will never sell well enough to survive. I'll only have to buy a half dozen issues, then in a few years I'll be able to sell them as rare collectors' items to fund my retirement". Here we are a quarter of a century later, the shelves are groaning under the weight, and I still haven't been able to cash in....

[/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

.....When MRJ started I thought "this is far too good: it will never sell well enough to survive. I'll only have to buy a half dozen issues, then in a few years I'll be able to sell them as rare collectors' items to fund my retirement". Here we are a quarter of a century later, the shelves are groaning under the weight, and I still haven't been able to cash in....

Worse things happen at sea....

The trouble with MRJ is that once in a while there is an article which contains an idea good enough fo rme to stop and think about how I should take forward current and future projects.

Issue 200 is full of them! A bracket signal is not yet at the point of no return so there is time to stop and start again in the light of Karl Crowther's work.

Chris

Now I understand why Karl was trying to ring me the other night - to tender his excuses for more GWR modelling when he should be concentrating on his new West Yorks blue diesel layoutbiggrin.gif

Looking forward to getting my copy which is undoubtably by now awaiting me at Dean Hall.

And i too agree that PMPs posting should be put at the head of every new mag thread tongue.gif

• RMweb Premium

I know that numerically speaking this is the 201st issue but it is a triumph! Intelligent articles well written by experts in their field. No other magazine comes close to what MJR does. Sirs, I suggest that you raise a communal bat to the virtual pavillion and take your well earned applause. A double ton who'd have thought it that bought into it all those years ago?

Anyone who has yet to try MRJ should pick this one up, but be warned a life time of slavering anticipation awaits as publishing dates come and go!

Well done all.

Kind words indeed and I shall happily accept a very small part of your good wishes. I have bought every MRJ since issue 0 and been inspired by the contents. They are the only magazines that I take down from the shelves regularly and read again. It is surprising to rediscover how the prblem I am wrestling with was covered by an article 20 years ago, as has happened more than once. I can't help but think that the magazine has had a lot to do with raising the aspirations and improving the modelling standards of many folk. It certainly has with me, to the point where some of my own work has been submitted and considered good enough to be published.

Long may MRJ continue, as the world of model railways would be a poorer place without it.

I managed to kick the habit with buying MRJ a couple of years back (not through lack of appreciation for the mag but purely lack of active modelling on my part to justify the purchase of modelling publications every month!). But, I flicked through issue 200 in the shop a few days ago and rather effortlessly I relieved my wallet of few quid and before I knew what had happened I was sat at home, engrossed in what is a brilliant issue, with a nice cuppa rolleyes.gif Oh dear!

I was stunned by Barry Norman's opening photo of the GWR van which had me totally convinced at first that it was a Swindon works photo. I had to REALLY look to see that it was all smoke and mirrors - and the only thing that gave it away in the end was the large gap in the link on the coupling! Fabulous bit of modelling, and photography.

Congratualtions to MRJ for reaching the milestone of Number 200.

I don't always buy the magazine in the same way that I don not always buy any other one.

What I like is the way that whatever gauge you use for your models there are always ideas and techniques

which are transportable and that will embelish any model rather than promoting more of the same.

I just wish it was all in colour, except for artisitic images. With modern day printing and processes it

is hard to know why it is not. I suspect that the readership would accept a modest price rise to cover such

an enhancement.

Good luck for the next 200!

RichardS

I just wish it was all in colour, except for artisitic images. With modern day printing and processes it

is hard to know why it is not. I suspect that the readership would accept a modest price rise to cover such

an enhancement.

Good luck for the next 200!

RichardS

Having an all-colour magazine is significantly more expensive and is usually absorbed by advertising revenue in consumer

magazines, which is why, as a general rule, the magazines with a lower circulation and smaller ad revenue tend to have only

one or two colour sections within a mainly b/w whole. Look at the amount of advertising in Hornby mag and MR, for instance.

Unfortunately, with the limited amount of advertising in MRJ, going full- colour throughout would mean much more than a

modest price rise for us. Shame though, I would love it if it were possible.

Ditto

Fairly sure I saw a drawing/diagram/picture at some stage, but the MRJ 197 mention is just in the text.  Couldn't find any mention on either the Bill Bedford or Eileen's Emporium websites.  Maybe something on E4UM?

Cheers,

26power

I've had a look for the Bill Bedford version mentioned in the text, but can't find them.

Jol

Just picked my copy up in WHSmiths Macclesfield this morning - a top shelf publication!

It really is a bumper issue, loads of great content - and after two quick flicks I've been very interested by the three R-T-R locos featured... the Bachmann O4, the Bachmann Hall and the Hornby 8F... very interesting indeed - and maybe a nudge to get myself a Bachmann Pannier and finesse that for a future project? ;) That's the best thing about the mag - consistently high standards over a variety of subjects to maintain interest and inspire - even if gently - every time it's picked up.

Result? I've just finished spraying the wasp stripes on my Judith Edge Sentinel! Constructing a kit in P4 would never have occured to me if it wasn't for my Grandpa giving me all the early MRJs many years ago - happy to say I've got every issue up to about 76 I think - then a few years gap - and now I've started collecting them again!

Archived