MRJ 200

merddinemrys

Hello there

MRJ 200 is out in my local Smiths here in the middle of London. It's a bumper celebratory issue with a certain original editor back as guest editor (the clue is in the contents list!).

Contents:

Bristol Bath Road by Robin Whittle

4mm Telegraph Poles by David Lane

Mineral Wagons for Slattocks Junction by Craig Welsh

An Express Train for the Main Line by Chris Pendleton

Ready to Run in the Journal by Roy Jackson

Great Western Covered Goods Wagons by Barry Norman

Bucking the Trend by Gerry Beale

A Western 8F by Chris Pendleton and Gerry Beale

A Bracket Signal for Maiden Newton by Karl Crowther

A good issue - reminiscent of the late lamented Compendiums. Here's to the next 200!

David Gander

Hello there

MRJ 200 is out in my local Smiths here in the middle of London. It's a bumper celebratory issue with a certain original editor back as guest editor (the clue is in the contents list!).

I can confirm the same for WHS in Oxford, as I had a quick look this morning to see whether it was in! I was a bit surprised as normally Mr Bigcheeseplant is very good in letting us know when it is imminent -- but perhaps he is enjoying some holiday? :)

I didn't see who the guest editor is, but I guessed it would have been one of a couple of familiar names to readers of the early issues...

Once again Smiths' distribution beats subscription copies :(

Still, once again the actual mag looks as if it is worth waiting for.

Another one who had hoped for something really inventive to celebrate the 200th (or should that really be the 201st?) issue.

I really hope this is a typo in merddinemrys's post! Otherwise I need to put all my midland region kits to one side and start buying Kings and Castle's! ;)

In all seriousness, I know it was mistakenly identified as Bath Road as appose to Barrow Road in the past so I hope it hasn't happened again!

Many congrats to all the contributors and especially Gerry, I know an awful lot of work has gone into this special issue and i'm really looking forward to getting my hands on my copy!

Happy reading!

Paul

Have I missed anything?

Apart from the dull thud of my subscription MRJ No.200 on my doormat ...

Perhaps we could have several pages asking that any reference to MRJ is removed from RMWeb, so that I don't know I have missed reading my copy until it arrives.

Jol

My subscription copy hasn't arrived yet, can we please in recognition of 200 issues and keeping in the tradition of MRJ threads

D/ Have several pages accusing them of an inner circle with no new contributors,

G/ Have several more pages moaning thats its a clique, despite poster never having submitted anything to be published,

H/ Have several pages incorrectly guessing the guest editor,

Have I missed anything?

Well those ones shouldn't count... Not that people normally pay attention mind. :rolleyes:

H/ Have several pages incorrectly guessing the guest editor,

I/ Have several pages moaning its not in the Surbiton branch of WHS

J/ Have several pages identifying which is the furthest branch of WHS with copies from the Surbiton branch.

Have I missed anything?

Yep, although this probably mainly applies to other mags, but there's also the discussions/moans about paper quality, printing resolution, page size and binding type. :P

G.

You nearly gave me a heart attack - Bristol Bath Road indeed - I have just spoken to Gerry Beale and have been assured the article is headed 'Bristol Barrow Road'. We can't have the Midland being confused with the GWR:rolleyes:

Here is an update photo

post-6970-127982414985_thumb.jpg

For those of you who follow my Barrow Road Blog I shall be posting some more photos of the Roundhouse & Workshop now that all the walls are finished.

Robin

Hello there

Contents:

4mm Telegraph Poles by David Lane

Mineral Wagons for Slattocks Junction by Craig Welsh

An Express Train for the Main Line by Chris Pendleton

Ready to Run in the Journal by Roy Jackson

Great Western Covered Goods Wagons by Barry Norman

Bucking the Trend by Gerry Beale

A Western 8F by Chris Pendleton and Gerry Beale

A Bracket Signal for Maiden Newton by Karl Crowther

A good issue - reminiscent of the late lamented Compendiums. Here's to the next 200!

David Gander

Apologies to Robin. Too many years standing at the end of Temple Meads station! And I was trying to copy out from the contents list too!

10800 - Who am I? I'm me! I don't have a big cheeseplant.

I think I'll leave the typing to those better than I!

David

• RMweb Gold

Mine was waiting for me when I got home, and as a special treat, CTMK had unwrapped it for me - the 200th edition, so I don't even have to open the envelope!.... (actually, she wanted the envelope!)... ;)

A really good issue again, which is no surprise, I guess, given the identity of the editor and some of the contributors...

But..... but.... is it me, or am I just missing something here? (and I can't believe I'm the only one to have mentioned this yet?)..., but has young Craig changed his official surname, or are we using internet forum monikas as official literary pen names now?.... ;) ;)

But..... but.... is it me, or am I just missing something here? (and I can't believe I'm the only one to have mentioned this yet?)..., but has young Craig changed his official surname, or are we using internet forum monikas as official literary pen names now?.... ;) ;)

Shh, I used the name written on the etches not to confuse anyone.. The right name is however on the cheque I believe ;).

Hope you enjoy it anyway and i'd like feedback off people if possible that'll help me towards the next one which will be on vans or lms long wagons depending on what I finish first!

"When you look at the price and the quality of the product (Bachmann RTR O4), anybody complaining too hard should perhaps just shut up and show us all how they would build a better one" - I've never met Roy Jackson but for this quote alone, I'd like to buy the man a pint.

Cracking issue.

Pix

The 'boxhead' couplings on Chris P's coaches look interesting, some etches by David Bradwell.

Sandy,

Chris P's article is really interesting and his innovative solution to the problems of an unobtrusive yet effective coupling for fixed rakes and for "soft" sprung gangways are, as usual, really well thought out.

I shall be emailing Mr Bradwell today.

Jol

"When you look at the price and the quality of the product (Bachmann RTR O4), anybody complaining too hard should perhaps just shut up and show us all how they would build a better one" - I've never met Roy Jackson but for this quote alone, I'd like to buy the man a pint.

Cracking issue.

Pix

I'm sure at some point your paths will cross, Pix!! :D

Archived