Copper Tape for DCC Power Bus

Magna-N

Just because it works, doesn't mean to say it's the best way of doing things [*]

The time will come when something is added - say another loco or an accessory decoder and then strange things start to happen. Obviously the blame will lie with the last thing added.

[*] It's a bit like driving on the right, but getting away with it because the road is quiet and there's nothing coming the other way.

Cheers,

Mick

A ring is better then a bus as it splits the current carrying capability and provides a degree of redundancy

If you can advance a proper technical reason why you believe a ring is problematic , please do so

• RMweb Premium

A ring is better then a bus as it splits the current carrying capability and provides a degree of redundancy

If you can advance a proper technical reason why you believe a ring is problematic , please do so

It isn't about power feed.

DCC signals are similar to RS485 communication - the recommendation is never to connect RS485 in a ring - always terminate at one end.

DCC doesn't necessarily need termination, but filter/snubbers are often a good idea.

I have a colleague who tells how he cured 8x4 layouts with odd things occurring by cutting the ring into two spurs, yet layouts that are 24x24 will work fine with a ring.

I'm not saying a ring won't work, I'm saying that a ring may be a problem at some stage. I don't wish to find out the hard way. I'm quite happy to wire mine as two spurs.

This discussion is likely to go round in circles……………. I'll terminate my input.

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

There's always many ways to crack any particular nut.  However it is probable that there is a "best practice", one that works all the time and carries less risk of things going awry.

It's human nature to think that if you've done something one way and didn't suffer any negative effects then you've found best practice.  It's just as likely you got lucky!

If you can find best practice and also can afford to follow it, then why chose a different path?  Read lots of advice and listen to those widely recognised as experts in the field.

Do I think copper tape is best practice - nope.

Do I think creating a complete loop for a DCC power bus is best practice - nope.

Will both work OK - probably!

It isn't about power feed.

DCC signals are similar to RS485 communication - the recommendation is never to connect RS485 in a ring - always terminate at one end.

It's a very distant "similar" in that they are both use differential signalling. Data rates, signal levels, power levels, load and cabling topology, intended maximum cable runs are all very different. 

DCC doesn't necessarily need termination, but filter/snubbers are often a good idea.

Quite simply, you cannot terminate a DCC bus in any meaningful way. The loads on the bus (the locos) have a nasty habit of varying and moving around.

Archived